View Full Version : IM on LG Electronics VX6000

Robert Levy
12-18-2003, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16296' target='_blank'>http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=16296</a><br /><br /></div>Owners of the LG Electronics VX6000 cameraphone from Verizon will soon be able to download instant messaging software that let's them communicate with other users of MSN Messenger, AOL IM and Yahoo! Messenger. This isn't a Microsoft Smartphone, but I found this line in the story interesting:<br /><br />"The application itself will be free, but users will be charged 10 cents to send a message and 2 cents to receive a message. To use the service, users must first sign up for an MSN, AOL or Yahoo! instant messaging account from a desktop computer."<br /><br />Ouch... 10 cents per IM? 8O This really makes you appreciate the value of having MSN Messenger support built in to the Smartphone operating system. The ability for Smartphone users to download free 3rd party apps (like Agile Messenger) which give access to additional IM networks is even more valuable. That said, mobile phone users tend to have strange spending habbits... I never would have imagined that people would be willing to pay as much as they do for ringtones. Maybe this will be an attractive option for some people, but in general it would probably be a better investment to get a Microsoft Smartphone and not have to worry about your IM habbits.

Skitals
12-19-2003, 02:46 AM
I agree, but it's not like MSN Messenger or Agile Messenger are free either. Still gotta pay for gprs or 1xrtt access. It'll obviously work out to be cheaper, but its still an additional cost to use the service. Im on verizon and have the i600. Today I got EN MOU enabled on my line (express network - minutes of use). Its sorta a loop hole in verizon for NA access. The EN MOU plan is meant for picture messaging, so you can send pictures over the high speen EN netwok. I was lucky enough to get a cs person who would add it to my plan. Like the name implies usage only deducts from air time minutes... no data charge and free nights and weekends = free express network on my smartphone :D

I dont like the idea of only using it after 9pm, so I might end up adding the $45 unlimited smartphone plan anyway.

GODspeaking
12-19-2003, 11:22 PM
omg you scared me!! :o
I have the VX6000 with Verizon and was so happy to see that Mobile IM prog. So I got it a little less than a month ago, it was free anyway. So far I've sent about 400-600 messages probably, so when I first read this post my eyeballs nearly fell out. But then I realized that you forgot to clarify one thing...

This program uses text messaging as its basis. So all messages go through as text messages. Well I have unlimited pix and text messaging for $4.99/month. And I got this service mostly for the ability to get pix and midis from my pc to the phone and vice versa. So its not as expensive as it sounds. I just wanted to clarify that... :x-mas:

David C
12-20-2003, 03:56 AM
I don't know if this works outside of Sprint PCS service, but using the link http://wim2.aol.com/?service=Sprint3G on Sprint Vision phone will get you a html version of AIM. Sprint's 3G data is unlimited.