View Full Version : 3 New Smartphones From Motorola

Robert Levy
12-16-2003, 05:26 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/12/16&pages=PR&seq=204' target='_blank'>http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/12/16&pages=PR&seq=204</a><br /><br /></div>DigiTimes is reporting that the Chinese Commercial Times is reporting that Motorola is reporting that they plan to launch 3 new Smartphones next year.<br /><br />"Compal Communications will manufacture the MPx100. Chi Mei Communication Systems (CMCS), the current supplier of the MPx200, will make the MPx220, featuring Bluetooth support and a built-in camera. Compal Electronics will handle production of the MPx300, according to the report."

Mike Temporale
12-16-2003, 06:06 PM
:rock on dude!:

This is great news. I'm guessing it's safe to say that Motorola is happy with sales of the MPx200, and Microsofts SmartPhone platform.

My guess is that the 300 will be the highend model, while 100 is the entry level. So what can the 300 have that the 220 won't? and what will they not put in the 100 to make it an entry level device?

Robert Levy
12-16-2003, 06:12 PM
So what can the 300 have that the 220 won't?

A working caller ID? :roll:

Mike Temporale
12-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Now, Now... That's a Microsoft issue.... :wink:

here's my thoughts:

300 --> More memory, WiFi, BlueTooth, Camera
220 --> same as 200 with BlueTooth and Camera
100 --> App Locked, no BlueTooth, no Camera, No Wifi, barebones model.

whatcha think? :D

Macguy59
12-16-2003, 06:26 PM

I think I would like to see this line available on Verizons network :?

Mike Temporale
12-16-2003, 06:33 PM

oh, good point. Never thought about that....

Maybe the 100 series will be CDMA, the 200's GSM, and the 300's will be for whatever else is out there.

(sorry, I can't remember all the different phone technologies off the top of my head. :wink: )

James Sonne
12-16-2003, 08:16 PM
I wish the 220 would be dual-band, CDMA and GSM, so that I can actually get signal places.

Macguy59
12-16-2003, 08:56 PM

oh, good point. Never thought about that....

Maybe the 100 series will be CDMA, the 200's GSM, and the 300's will be for whatever else is out there.

(sorry, I can't remember all the different phone technologies off the top of my head. :wink: )

Wasn't being sarcastic Rocket. Just like the looks of this phone better then my i600.

Mike Temporale
12-16-2003, 09:39 PM
Wasn't being sarcastic Rocket. Just like the looks of this phone better then my i600.

I'm serious. It would be nice if a manufacturer actually made the same phone for different mobile networks. It's very rare (if at all), but I think it's something that the consumer wants. :)

Macguy59
12-16-2003, 09:44 PM

I'm serious. It would be nice if a manufacturer actually made the same phone for different mobile networks. It's very rare (if at all), but I think it's something that the consumer wants. :)

There's no real reason why thay can't , other then they don't want to.

ShivShanks
12-16-2003, 11:04 PM

I don't have the link to it handy but Verizon is working with a Samsung CDMA/GSM phone in trials. Its going to be introduced in early 2004. Why? Because Vodaphone (biggest mobile co in the world) has a stake in Verizon and would like to give Verizon users who go to Europe frequently a better option than carrying two phones. So yes the GSM bands on that phone would be European 900/1800MHz frequencies and not the 1900MHz US one. But still its better than nothing. So after this development theoretically nothing prevents someone from coming up with a CDMA/Tri-band GSM phone that is truly world wide. But you can bet that the US CDMA carriers wouldn't allow you to activate such a phone on thier networks. With US GSM carriers its better since you can put in the SIM card in any unlocked GSM. The FCC needs to come out with cell phone portability between similar technologies.

chaevans
12-17-2003, 01:35 AM
:D

Not true. If it was, why don't the Mitac and HTC phones have this problem. The fact is both Motorola and Samsung did not use the MS implementation of the caller ID and as a result it doesn't work.

Mike Temporale
12-17-2003, 02:58 AM

Not true. If it was, why don't the Mitac and HTC phones have this problem. The fact is both Motorola and Samsung did not use the MS implementation of the caller ID and as a result it doesn't work.

Fair enough. I assumed that it was a software issue and thus Microsofts problem. :oops: I guess I should try and keep in mind what happens when you assume things. :wink:

Mike Temporale
12-17-2003, 03:01 AM

There's no real reason why thay can't , other then they don't want to.

I will openly admit that I know nothing about building a mobile phone, but I would guess that all you have to do is change the radio. And since Moto already has phones in each of the different networks, they would already have the parts.

I really hope that this is something that they are doing. It would really give the customer the chance to take the phone that they like and use it on which ever network they choose.

Macguy59
12-17-2003, 03:02 AM

Interesting. How do you know this?

jdrive
12-17-2003, 04:45 AM
BlueRocket wrote:
I'm serious. It would be nice if a manufacturer actually made the same phone for different mobile networks. It's very rare (if at all), but I think it's something that the consumer wants.

What do you mean? Up until recently many major line phones were released in the same form factor across multiple networks. Even now, Startacs, T720 series, various blackberries, etc., cross frequency hurdles (just not in the same phone -- yet). My guess is if they make an MPX available for CDMA Verizon will have a runaway best-seller on its hands, and so will Motorola.

Macguy59
12-17-2003, 04:54 AM
What do you mean? Up until recently many major line phones were released in the same form factor across multiple networks. Even now, Startacs, T720 series -- even various blackberries -- cross frequency hurdles (just not in the same phone -- yet). My guess is if they make an MPX available for CDMA Verizon will have a runaway best-seller on its hands, and so will Motorola.[/b][/quote]

That would be sweet 8)

Gator5000e
12-17-2003, 05:02 AM
Some rumors have said the 220 will also be EDGE enabled on the ATT network. Anyone heard any news of this in the releases? Kind of glad the MPx200 I ordered was defective. I will now be waiting on the 220.

Macguy59
12-17-2003, 05:15 AM
Some rumors have said the 220 will also be EDGE enabled on the ATT network. Anyone heard any news of this in the releases? Kind of glad the MPx200 I ordered was defective. I will now be waiting on the 220.

Bah. That doesn't excite me. In theory it's supposed to be faster then Verizons 1x express network, but in testing it has been about the same. And most of Verizons phone can access the 1x network :wink: The last time I bothered to test it, I was getting 64K downstream using my i600. But I'm sure GSM people will be happy about getting it considering the poor performance on their current network.

aristoBrat
12-17-2003, 06:28 AM

Interesting. How do you know this?
I think it was a guess based on the fact that HTC Smartphones and Mitac Smartphones (which are also flip) don't have the caller ID issue.

Perhaps it IS a MS issue and HTC/Mitac coded around it?

Who knows? Personally, I'd think that if was a MS error, and HTC/Mitac coded around it, ... you'd think that Moto and Samsung could too.

Someone needs to fix it though! :D

possmann
12-17-2003, 06:29 PM
:onfire:
OK - next big question....

When? Betcha nothing before Q2 otherwise we would have seen some splash on the FCC site and I'm not aware of anything over there.

Anyone watch the FCC web site for announcements like that anyway?

Mike Temporale
12-18-2003, 12:03 PM
:onfire:
OK - next big question....

When? Betcha nothing before Q2 otherwise we would have seen some splash on the FCC site and I'm not aware of anything over there.

Ya, I would agree. The 220 will be released around that time. Howerver, the 100 and 300 will come much later in the year.