View Full Version : Flexible keyboard for the i600/i700

Macguy59
12-11-2003, 12:56 AM
Mine arrived lastnight. MUCH better input solution. That said it's rather annoying that the number keys don't seem to work right on WEP and some PPC sites. What gives? Is there a way to force something like numlock on this keyboard. Actually even on WEP sites I can get numbers to work, but it requires either multiple key presses to tunnel down to the number OR switch to number input via the smartphone keypad. I must be missing something folks.

Skitals
12-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Pictures! I wonder why they went with designing a flexible keyboard, rather then a folding one?

Macguy59
12-11-2003, 02:21 AM
Pictures! I wonder why they went with designing a flexible keyboard, rather then a folding one?

Weight and size I guess. When I got the box it felt like they forgot to put anything it. Yeah it's that light.

I'll post a pic of it if someone can host

flash
12-13-2003, 06:15 AM
Doh!

I coulda done that...

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0ewdd/index.html

I posted two pics that I just took. I just rebuilt my computer from the ground up and haven't installed any imaging software yet so the pics are 550KB and not cleaned up in any way. Sorry.

Byteme, if you want to email me pics to put up on the web space, send them to [email protected]. That may be cool because my pics aren't very good.

FYI I just did a week of manager training up in the boonies and the flexible keyboard was a lifesafer. I could do short, simple messages anywhere & any time with the phone. During short breaks or in the evenings I could send work email using the snazzy keyboard. I had trouble with the top row of keys as others reported. The biggest issue was SHIFT+2 for the "@" key -- sort of essential for typing email addresses that weren't in my Contacts. Even with that issue, I think the keyboard is worth the money for anyone who needs to bang out more than five word responses.

flash

Macguy59
12-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Thanks flash but I have setup a temporary site to host it. Although I don't this pic is all that much better then yours

http://homepage.mac.com/macguyapb/.Public/flxkbd.jpg

Skitals
12-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Looks very nice. Thanks for the pics. How does it roll up and stay rolled up? It still seems like a folding keyboard that folds FLAT makes more sense for carrying around in a jacket pocket or something. How are the "feel" of the keys?

Macguy59
12-13-2003, 11:39 PM
Looks very nice. Thanks for the pics. How does it roll up and stay rolled up? It still seems like a folding keyboard that folds FLAT makes more sense for carrying around in a jacket pocket or something. How are the "feel" of the keys?

Don't know. Never used a folding keyboard. The keys on this one are kind of spongy and the number keys don't always work right with some web sites. But it's still a MUCH better input solution then using the keypad. Night & day difference.

Matilda444
01-09-2004, 01:53 AM
OK folks . . . I've got the keyboard. Plugged it in. Phone seems to "see" it. I doesn't work. I've tried several applications. Is there a trick? Documentation on refers to the i700.

Thanks!

Macguy59
01-09-2004, 02:14 AM
OK folks . . . I've got the keyboard. Plugged it in. Phone seems to "see" it. I doesn't work. I've tried several applications. Is there a trick? Documentation on refers to the i700.

Thanks!

If you have it connected properly you'll see a screen come up that requires you to answer "OK" or "Cancel" to continue using the phone. If this screen doesn't come up and stay there, then the physical connection is not solid.

RedComrade
01-12-2004, 10:42 AM
it took me 3 tries connecting the new keyboard to the phone before i got that "OK/Cancel" screen. maybe the new connector was tight and didnt have good contact.

but there is another wild thought: where does the keyboard driver comes from? if it was not on the phone's ROM, maybe it was in the keyboard itself and it took time copying and installing it before it recognized the keyboard. anybody have thoughts on this?

Matilda444
01-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I've found my connection is "twitchy". I have to make SURE it's set in there right and not so much as breath on it while I'm using it.

Macguy59
01-12-2004, 03:04 PM
it took me 3 tries connecting the new keyboard to the phone before i got that "OK/Cancel" screen. maybe the new connector was tight and didnt have good contact.

but there is another wild thought: where does the keyboard driver comes from? if it was not on the phone's ROM, maybe it was in the keyboard itself and it took time copying and installing it before it recognized the keyboard. anybody have thoughts on this?

It's finicky everytime I use it. The connector has to be 'just so'. My bigger gripe with it is I have hard time getting it disconnected from the phone. :evil:

flash
01-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Same here --

I have to take care connecting and disconnecting, but once it's plugged in it works like a champ.