View Full Version : MPx200 w/ POI SD Memory Issues....HELP!!!

DJ E-Bam
12-10-2003, 11:26 PM
I just bought this VERY cool phone. I use a POI 128MB SD card for data and application storage. ONE MAJOR PROBLEM.....when I turn the phone off and then back on it asks me if I want to format the card. I say no (cause I got all that info on it) but when the phone boots there's no info on the card....and I can't write to it. This all also happens when I remove the card while the phone is on.

I make sure the lock on the card is off....and I've also tried two other VERY reputable memory cards with the same results....Kingston and ScanDisk.

Has anyone experienced this VERY BIG problem?

HELP!

DJ E-Bam
12-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Nobody has any info to give on this?

Robert Levy
12-16-2003, 05:55 AM
It sounds like you have a faulty phone... I would suggest calling up AT&T Wireless to see what they can do for you

DJ E-Bam
12-16-2003, 07:22 AM
I have already called AT&T. They said call Motorola. I called Motorola and they have no idea. They forwarded the issue onto their hardware gurus.....supposedly.

I went to an AT&T store with dozens of MPx200 and tried the same process with 4 BRAND NEW MPx200 with the same result.

Motorola may have a bad MFG. Lot on their hands. I have since tried two more brands, and I have also tried different capaities.....same results.

Luzerman
12-16-2003, 03:38 PM
I've had two MPx200s and I've never seen this problem before. I've never seen anyone on any forum complain about a power cycle or card swapping messing up their ability to use an SD card or messing up the card itself.

I just swapped out my card while the phone was on and then power cycled the phone and I have no problems. Everything on my card is available and accessible.

Are you running any apps that are constantly hitting the card? It could be that you have a task or tasks running that are hitting the card right as you are removing it and so it corrupts the card. Are you removing the card while an app is open that is installed on the expansion card? Is the card usable after you remove it? say in a card reader or other device?

I find it difficult to believe that 5 seperate devices have the problem you describe and we haven't seen posts about this on all the other MPx200 forums out there.

DJ E-Bam
12-16-2003, 09:09 PM
I've been a Network Topology Engineer/NetAdmin for 12 years. I think I have a pretty good grasp on troubleshooting and issue resolution.... :wink:

Hard to beleive as it is, it's happening. This is happening without any apps installed on it. I've tested it with just puting one image on the card....data only.

The phones that I did the testing on all came from the same AT&T store. And they got all the phones in the same order. Like I said, may be a bad lot.

I'm still waiting to hear from Motorola engineers. I think I'll call them.

cmorris
12-19-2003, 12:09 AM
How did you get the files onto the cards in the first place?

I had a 128MB SD from my old PPC with a bunch of music and other files. I swapped that into my MPx200 with no problems...

Good luck...

DJ E-Bam
12-19-2003, 02:25 AM
Is nobody reading my posts?....:D

I said I can put files on to it....but when I remove the card and put it back in OR turn the power off, the files aren't there.

Luzerman
12-19-2003, 03:57 PM
I think quite a few people have read your posts but no one can help you because they are not able to get this problem to reoccur.

Maybe if you were more specific with a more specific problem description.

I have tried to get your problem to repeat on my phone but I have been completely unable to have that happen. I have not seen nor heard of this problem anywhere else.

If you want a large community to bring your problem to you may want to try smartphone.modaco.com or mpx200.org. Someone there may know of your problem or may have seen it happen and can help you out.

DJ E-Bam
12-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the other sites.

Interestingly enough.....I went out yesterday and bought a crappy Lexmark SD card.....and it works fine. Data remains on the card after removal or power down.

Strange that my more supposedly reliable SanDisk, Kingston and POI cards don't work, but my cheap and crappy Lexmark does.

Luzerman
12-20-2003, 04:42 AM
I've only ever used Sandisk cards in my MPx200 and I've never had any problems. I'm glad that a switch in cards has fixed your issue.