View Full Version : Microsoft Moblogs Delayed

Robert Levy
12-09-2003, 12:28 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/communities/smartphone/connections.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/communities/smartphone/connections.mspx</a><br /><br /></div>A while back I pointed out a mysterious quote on the Windows Mobile website which indicated that they were going to announce something related to moblogs in December. Since then, this message has been updated to say the following:<br /><br /><i>"Soon you'll be able to pictures directly from your Smartphone to your blog — and make it a moblog. Check back in February to learn how."</i><br /><br />It's still pretty vague so we can only guess at what they are planning but the important thing to note here is the change of date from December to February.

HailFire
12-09-2003, 01:10 AM
perhaps the rumors are true and a camera-equipped mpx220 really is debuting in february. it would make sense to delay the moblogging features until cameras were available.

Robert Levy
12-09-2003, 01:23 AM
I doubt that is the case... the E200 now available internationally has a built camera.

Mike Temporale
12-09-2003, 02:38 PM
I doubt that is the case... the E200 now available internationally has a built camera.

Agreed. There is already a phone on the market that can handle this, so why wait for another to be released. Besides, a phone with built in camera is a hot item on the market now. It doesn't need a moblog supported site to help sell it. If anything this release date is meant to help sales once they start to level off. (ie: post christmas).

humor
12-09-2003, 09:09 PM
This bites!! I have been checking the web site every day this week hoping it would be released. Oh well!

I believe (and this is complete spec) that the Samsung i700 WM2003 upgrade has been put off to February (originally December)...and since no other phone has WM2003 in the US (most likely a requirement to integrate with the new ms pictures app in WM2003), they can't release it with no device support.

Humor

encece
12-10-2003, 03:15 AM
Apple has their own moblog solution and Microsoft is just countering that release.

Most likely the phone will not need any special programs to interface with their moblog solution. It usually involves a simple email or MMS to the site. Any device specific software would only limit their moblog solution to just Micriosoft Smartphone or PPCPC devices, which is certainly a minority in the phone world.

Check out textamerica.com
You could post a new pic or text entry from any device with email abilities.
Theoretically...you could post to this site today with your smartphone or PPCPE. But the smartphones in the US do not have cameras yet.

Microsoft devices with cameras currently include:

Smartphone: Orange SPV (detachable camera)
Smartphone: Orange e100 (detachable camera)
Smartphone: Orange e200 (integrated camera)
Smartphone: Mitac Mio 8380 (integrated camera)
PPCPE: XDA2 and similar devices re-branded (integrated camera)
PPCPE: Samsung i700 (integrated camera)
...and more.

I cant imagine Microsoft making it more difficult than that.

UNLESS...they are making a program that will interface with ANY weblogging/moblogging webpage...not just their own. Like blogger, movable-type, b2, etc.