View Full Version : Using MPx200 without Sim Card

GF
12-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Am I able to use the MPx200 without sim card? Of course, I am not using the communction functions, such as phone, sms/mms, gprs..etc.

Thanks,
GF

aristoBrat
12-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Am I able to use the MPx200 without sim card? Of course, I am not using the communction functions, such as phone, sms/mms, gprs..etc.

Thanks,
GF
If you get an AT&T MPx200, it will come with a new, unregistered SIM that you can use to do what you've said above.

I don't think you can do much without a SIM inserted. I'm sure a current MPx user will reply. :)

cmorris
12-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Doesn't look like that is possible, when I turn it on w/o SIM I get:

"SIM Failure. Insert SIM - Emergency Calls only"

Can't get to the homescreen or to any programs.

GF
12-05-2003, 01:24 AM
I got the same error message. I was told by the shop it is ok to use the PDA features without inserting the sim card.

Robert Levy
12-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Nope. There is a "dummy" SIM that comes with the Smartphone developer kit that allows you to use the phone without having service, but I don't know where you could get one of those outside of the $500 kit.

GF
12-05-2003, 10:30 AM
I can conclude that we definitely need the sim card (whether it is dummy or full function) to use the phone.

In Asia, a lot of Telco service providers are selling the prepaid card. The alternative is to buy the lowest amount prepaid card.

seaflipper
12-06-2003, 08:48 AM
Just to let you know, while you must have a SIM in the phone to use it, it does not have to be an AT&T SIM, or an active AT&T SIM. The MPx200 is just looking for a SIM in there, period.

Robert Levy
12-06-2003, 09:53 AM
Ok I don't know if this works on the MPx200, but this has worked for me with other models... put a working SIM card into the device (borrow one from your other phone or from a friend) and turn it on. Put the device into "airplane mode" and then properly turn the device off (both of these things can be done from the menu that appears when you tap the power button). Remove the SIM card and you should then be able to reboot. As long as you leave the device in "airplane mode", you'll be good to go without a SIM in it.