View Full Version : poor connection

Santa Fe
12-02-2003, 11:51 PM
I just received my long awaited i600 and love its features. However I'm not able to connect to the Internet or send e-mail from home using the Quick to Net feature (I don't have the Express Network plan) because of a weak signal of two to three bars. Although I'm close to an area that is 98% covered I'm on the fringe. My old LG 510 seemed to recieve a much stronger signal. So the question becomes "is this enough to cause me to send the phone back?" 15 days to decide. I use the phone in my home office and would have also enjoyed checking e-mail from the bedroom or living room.

Does anyone know if the Express Network requires the same signal strength as Quick to Net? I am guessing it does.

The only other thing that I don't like so far is the slow start up time when you turn it on. Going through three start up screens gets old (Samsung, Smartphone 2002, Verizon before getting the the Home Screen!).

aristoBrat
12-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Errrr, I'm not sure that I'd consider 2-3 bars (out of 4) is weak. ;)

But, to your question, at my desk at work, I got only 1 full bar max, sometimes just the little bar that looks like a period. The phone would work fine then for both data and voice calls.

FWIW, I never had an Express Network plan either, but was able to connect to EN with no problems. The minutes I spent online were counted as voice minutes. This ability definately works with new plans, and somehow can be added to older plans.

maxnix
12-03-2003, 06:57 PM
The only other thing that I don't like so far is the slow start up time when you turn it on. Going through three start up screens gets old (Samsung, Smartphone 2002, Verizon before getting the the Home Screen!).
Then don't turn it off!

A national calling plan like America's Choice will allow you to connect to EN. Using Q2N is like using fax instead of email.

Santa Fe
12-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Today I got a half day of battery life with two 15 minute conversations and accessing the internet twice for a total of five minutes. So "don't turn it off" sounds like poor advice. I'm using the small battery. It is it has one 'bar" of life left. I wonder if it is properly calibrated.

Re the internet. Verizon customer service gave me a free trial of the Express Network which they now call Nations Access(?). That allowed me to connect even with two bars (so the orginal customer service chap who blamed the problem on the signal strength was not corrrect). I'm still not quite sure if either of the customer service people are giving me good advice. They were very nice but not familar with the phone or the service plans.

The phone is really terrific even with its few shortcomings.

maxnix
12-05-2003, 07:42 AM
Today I got a half day of battery life with two 15 minute conversations and accessing the internet twice for a total of five minutes. So "don't turn it off" sounds like poor advice. I'm using the small battery. It is it has one 'bar" of life left. I wonder if it is properly calibrated.

Re the internet. Verizon customer service gave me a free trial of the Express Network which they now call Nations Access(?). That allowed me to connect even with two bars (so the orginal customer service chap who blamed the problem on the signal strength was not corrrect). I'm still not quite sure if either of the customer service people are giving me good advice. They were very nice but not familar with the phone or the service plans.

The phone is really terrific even with its few shortcomings.Sounds like your battery is not good as I get much more life (about 3X) from mine before the dreaded beeps signal only 35% left.

Get to the Wireless and Data group at VZW, or Samsung (your minutes are not free from your cell) for support.

Santa Fe
12-05-2003, 07:05 PM
The user's manual says "If your Smartphone1
• has a strong signal, it uses less power; talk and standby
time are greatly affected by the signal strength on the
cellular network and the parameters set by the network
operator." Since I was in poor signal strength area that day I suspect that was the problem. And I couldn't figure out where to plug the car charger into my horse :wink:

maxnix
12-06-2003, 09:36 AM
And I couldn't figure out where to plug the car charger into my horse :wink:
Not going there!