View Full Version : "My Smartphone Epiphany" - Brighthand

Jason Dunn
12-01-2003, 10:58 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/article/smartphone_epiphany' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/article/smartphone_epiphany</a><br /><br /></div>"For the past three years, I've been a two-piece guy. That is, I've been using two devices, a data-enabled cell phone coupled with a PDA, to get my email and maintain my calendar. But that all changed about a month ago when I decided to try out the Motorola MPx200 Smartphone running Windows Mobile. The Motorola MPx200 Smartphone has convinced me that a convergent device, one that is more cell phone than PDA, can keep me connected and informed. <br /><br />Let's begin with the physical advantages of a one piece solution. Obviously, going with a single device sheds a lot of bulk. For a while I used a Bluetooth-enabled Sony Ericsson T68i cell phone coupled with my latest PDA to get my email. While that's an excellent solution, I can't imagine myself going back to it. Life is so much simpler, and lighter, with one device."<br /><br />It's always nice to see new people realizing how wonderful the Smartphone platform is, although this article focuses more on the fact that carrying one device is easier than carrying two rather than the value of the platform itself or what it can do. However, I remember enjoying the same type of thrill when I grabbed my coat and only had one device in it. I'm sure the author will discover the other beauties of the Smartphone platform as time goes on. :D

ombu
12-02-2003, 01:17 AM
I just wonder if a shortened (yep, shorter :twisted: ) version of Pocket Word and Pocket Excel could be ported to the Smartphone OS, just one to view my documents and workbooks, changing some data to the latter and having them recalculated. If so, a Smartphone would be the perfect mobile gadget for me, the hard-stuff I work on is always on my LapTop, just need to sync and make some changes on the way to my cost and price models.

Regards.

Robert Levy
12-02-2003, 01:25 AM
Buy the MPx200 from AT&T Wireless and get a free memory card containing programs to read Word and Excel files: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/office/default.mspx

ombu
12-02-2003, 01:40 AM
Buy the MPx200 from AT&T Wireless and get a free memory card containing programs to read Word and Excel files: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/office/default.mspx

:) Thanks, it's great though I don't find if it would let me change some cells and recalculate my spreadsheets.

Regards.

goofy166
12-02-2003, 03:25 AM
How come no one mentions the difficultly in one hand dialing with a clam shell design. Its the one issue that holds me back on this fone. Also we never hear about the fact that its Mobile 2002 instead of 2003. We are now in almost 2004 and why would I want to buy such an outdated OS based fone?

cmorris
12-02-2003, 05:57 PM
How come no one mentions the difficultly in one hand dialing with a clam shell design. Its the one issue that holds me back on this fone. Also we never hear about the fact that its Mobile 2002 instead of 2003. We are now in almost 2004 and why would I want to buy such an outdated OS based fone?

I think most people agree that clamshell vs. candy bar is pretty much personal preference. Although I'm (still) waiting for my MPx200 to arrive in the mail, I had a Moto V60 (clamshell) that I could easily flip open with my thumb on 1 hand. Honestly not a whole lot more or less easy than unlocking a candy bar style phone.

As for the 2002 vs. 2003 thing, there has been plenty of discussion around. :D The bottom line is that it takes time to 'fit' the OS to the hardware and to hit their dates Moto made the decision to go with 2002. You will find plenty of people out there stating that 2002 is plenty good, while many others are holding out for 2003, again personal preference. Remember there is only 1 phone out there running 2003 and it seems to be accumulating a few problems (SPV e200). But you'll always get more by waiting - rumors seem to indicate that there will be a new version of the Moto coming 1Q next year - of course there are also rumors that there may be a 2003 upgrade offered for the MPx200. 8)