View Full Version : What Has Been Written Yet for the Smartphone?

Jason Dunn
11-26-2003, 04:00 PM
In a similar vein to my question yesterday, what sorts of applications would you like to see developed for the Smartphone platform? What are the missing applications that would make you more productive? We have developers reading this site of course, so who knows, your idea just might get turned into a real application.Start brainstorming! Remember, the most important part of brainstorming is the generation of ideas, not the critiquing of ideas. :D

11-26-2003, 04:33 PM
I was at comdex last week, and I saw the most curious thing. a smartphone and a Ipaq running Neverwinter nights. I think it was the unix version, but the mere thought of being able to play my favorite game on the go made me tingly all over. do you know anything about this?

shill79
11-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Just give me a personal finances app.. Something that syncs with either MS Money or Quicken.. I'm thinking about buying a separate PPC just to carry my financial info :(

possmann
11-26-2003, 05:13 PM
How about a GPs or a mapping solution with a bluebook connection of course...

n2o
11-26-2003, 05:36 PM
Just give me a personal finances app.. Something that syncs with either MS Money or Quicken.. I'm thinking about buying a separate PPC just to carry my financial info :(

I agree. A Smartphone version of MS Money is must have for me.

chris
11-26-2003, 05:45 PM
i have a Samsung i600 from Verizon Wireless
and just found out it will not sync my notes from outlook
or allow me to make them

i found a notes program inline that will do what i want but it will not work with my phone

so i would like to see one that will work with the Samsung i600 from Verizon Wireless

ARW
11-26-2003, 07:36 PM
or allow me to make them

i found a notes program inline that will do what i want but it will not work with my phone

so i would like to see one that will work with the Samsung i600 from Verizon Wireless

Yes! About the last piece of third party software that I want on my i600 is SmartphoneNotes. Please get this certified so we can all buy it.

Mr_Man
11-26-2003, 08:12 PM
yet again, a good finance application, or one allowing entering of transactions which could then be synchronised with Money would make the Smartphone a killer device. Also the ability to edit simple spreadsheets.

Santa Fe
11-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Landware's Omnisolve would be terrific. I use it daily on my PPC.

erinl
11-26-2003, 09:48 PM
I would love to see a Bible program, like Laridian's Bible for PPC. Could the Bible be an option on a book reader type program?

gadfly
11-26-2003, 11:20 PM
I would like:

Financial App: MS Money or Quicken (I would buy the desktop verison of either one depending on what came out for Smartphone)

Digital Audio Player: Player that would let me use my MPx200 while closed and control it with only the jogdial AND let me take a call through the combo headphone/mic if one came in.

Call Management System: Something that would integrate contacts, calander, project managment, caller ID and CALL RECORDING.

Oh, I also wish I could tell my Smartphone where I wanted to go and it would tell me when I had to leave and which buses to take but I know I'm asking a lot.

Shane in Seattle
Who BTW went to the Mobilty Tour at Microsoft and had a lot of fun.

patrick_dube
11-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Street & Trips. A must have on my smartphone. This is the only thing that I wish for a PocketPC at Christas.

flash
11-27-2003, 08:04 PM
I looked at stuff on handango for the i600 and I thought I saw bible software.

Barring that, you could probably get Bible text and zip it up... there are readers that could do that... some I'm sure have search capability.

For me most stuff is already out there. If I can view Word & Excel documents, web browse, process email, stay entertained and read ebooks I am set. I don't have a lot of need to watch movies but I would probably get Pocket TV too.

So I guess what I need is MS Reader or something... I have a lot of MS Reader ebooks.

flash

JordanMills
11-28-2003, 06:32 PM
I want a version of activesync that will sync with other portable devices, like a pocket pc, when i can't reach a server.

Macguy59
11-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Something like Pocket Money, an ebook reader and better contact manager.

cmorris
11-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Ditto on Pocket Streets...

Also a music player that has support for playlists and an equalizer a la PocketMusic but also supports WMA.

ceremr
11-29-2003, 05:09 PM
AMEN, AMEN....when will we hear anything??? :lol:

or allow me to make them

so i would like to see one that will work with the Samsung i600 from Verizon Wireless[/quote]

Yes! About the last piece of third party software that I want on my i600 is SmartphoneNotes. Please get this certified so we can all buy it.

Santa Fe
11-29-2003, 08:22 PM
A work around for a map on the smartphone could be using Mapquest and the "download to PDA" function.

lsbeller
11-30-2003, 07:48 AM
1. PocketInformant for the MS Smartphone
2. Smartphone Money program (mainly for entering receipts and syncing)
3. Vehicle gas and mileage tracker

Steve

rbrome
12-01-2003, 05:03 PM
How about a moblogging app for people without camera phones? Specifically, something designed to work with a separate digicam via memory cards and the SD card slot?

I like camera phones and moblogging. BUT I also like my separate digicam, and I like to keep a hi-res copy for myself. So wouldn't it be great if I could snap 3-megapixel images with my digicam, then put the SD card in my smartphone, browse thumbnails, then choose certain photos, resize them, and upload them to the web with a comment?

Bonus features would be cropping, rotating, and basic Levels adjustment (like Photoshop).

As for getting it to the web, there is a great protocol for it (don't laugh) - the Nokia Image Upload API. Seriously, it's perfect for moblogging. It's the same protocol used in the 3650 and other Nokia camera phones for uploading photos to services like Ofoto. The thing is, it's only half-implemented in those phones - it doesn't support uploading text with photos or remote thumbnail browsing like the full API allows.

If someone made an app like this using this API, I'll promise right here and now that I will release a free web component to receive and publish the photos. I've already got it 95% done. It's easy to set up and written in PHP. :D [/b]