View Full Version : Smartphone Software: What's Your Non-Ported App?

Jason Dunn
11-25-2003, 08:08 PM
If you're a Pocket PC user like me, you may have used certain applications on the Pocket PC that you're waiting to be released on the Smartphone platform. What are those applications, and has the developer announced any plans to release a Smartphone version?

I tend to not do terribly complex things on my Smartphone, so the built-in apps are good for 90% of what I do. However, I live and die by Two Peaks' Flex Wallet software on my Pocket PC and desktop PC. I easily access it 12+ times a day on my desktop PC alone. I keep passwords, profile data, and all sorts of useful information in there that I need to have with me at all times. But there's no Smartphone version yet! :cry: The developer hasn't announced any plans to port FlexWallet to the Smartphone yet. And to think I changed from CodeWallet to FlexWallet earlier this year - if I had stayed with CodeWallet, I wouldn't be having this problem. :roll:

What about you? What apps are you waiting for developers to port over to the Smartphone platform?

trachy
11-25-2003, 08:38 PM
I hear you about the digital wallet. Fortunately, I'm using eWallet, which I believe to be already ported to SmartPhone OS.

The only app I wish were ported is Landware's PocketQuicken. I emailed them about it a week or two ago and they replied saying it's planned, but provided no timeline. If there's another alternative out there I may abandon the Quicken platform altogether. I find it inexcusable that Intuit completely ignores the Windows Mobile platform.

irishmikev
11-25-2003, 08:55 PM
If the market gets big enough, maybe this won't be right. That disclaimer aside, I think a big roadblock is that MS did not include .NETcf with SmartPhone 2002 or create a way to load it. As a result everyone is stuck developing only on embedded C++. With SmartPhone 2003 including support for embedded VB and .NETcf, if I were a software company I would not invest the time in developing my program in a language that MS won't be encouraging anyone to use in the next 6 months or so.

esc76
11-26-2003, 12:09 AM
TimeTTracker

koriel
11-26-2003, 03:17 AM
Sounds wierd I know but .... MS Reader, it's just about the only thing I actually use my PPC for nowadays! :)

encece
11-26-2003, 06:06 AM
MS Money was one of the first things I put onto my PPC....I cant believe MS wont port it over to the smartphone.

PocketStreets is another one. Seems like it would go without thinking to port this over, Once again...MS has ignored it.

eWallet has been done without PC synchronization...so I wish they would include that...but it seems the phone is locked down more, limiting it's ability to talk to ActiveSync via plugins like the PPC. But the PPCPhoneEdition is not....go figure.
(Though I am waaaaay behind in updating my ewallet data!)
CodeWallet is an option...but I'm not a big fan of extra things running in my system tray. I wish either could work like SmartphoneNotes with an integrated Plugin in AS.

Another little program, I liked on the PPC was Pocket Genealogist. I didnt use it alot. But when I got new data...I could look it up right away.

MS Reader should be there as well. Maybe if MS got the ball rolling with some of their basic apps....others would follow. Maybe the thought is...iof MS wont invest development time in these apps...why should they.

Luzerman
11-26-2003, 02:53 PM
I"m waiting for Palm Reader. I e-mailed them about a Smartphone version and they said they're looking into it.

I never could buy into the DRM BS of MS Reader. Heck if I had I would no longer be able to read any books since I've had more then 5 devices since I first purchased an eBook.

edupin
11-26-2003, 08:45 PM
1 - AvantGo
2 - Real One player
3 - Flash player

JordanMills
11-28-2003, 06:33 PM
I would be amazingly happy if flash and realplayer were never worked on again.

Money and streets would do it for me.

robinsonb
12-01-2003, 04:03 PM
I use eWallet and have been very happy with it. I'm trying to find out from Resco if my license for the PocketPC version could transfer for the SmartPhone version, which is what eWallet did for $10. I'd like to see PocketTVManager which gave you listings for the channels you selected, I'd like MS Reader, and something to download the weather for the next 5 days like JournalBar did on the Pocket PC.

rob_sfo
12-10-2003, 07:56 PM
FYI - here is the response I got from a FlexWallet customer support rep when I inquired about a Smartphone version:

Hi Rob,

In fact I am also in the same position having just purchased and MPX200.

I have asked Mel, the developer, what his thoughts were on the Smartphone and the following is his response:

"Yes we will develop Smartphone software in the near future based on Market research and customer demand. When we do release Smartphone software, our existing customers will get the upgrades extremely cheap or free."

That is very good news. I would think that this will probably occur sometime in the New Year.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

--
Robert McAnnalley
Customer Support
Two Peaks Software
www.twopeaks.com

Unfortunaely I'm in the same boat as you Jason - I need this data and I need it NOW! This is by far my most used PPC/Smartphone app. I'm evaluating CodeWallet to fill the gap, and I'm almost done migrating all my data over from FlexWallet (what a pain! Where's the damn export/import .csv option?!?! grrr). So far I like the Desktop version of FlexWallet better, but to be fair I've used that for much longer than I have CodeWallet.

Cheers,
Rob