View Full Version : Tiny eBook Reader...?

robinsonb
11-21-2003, 11:06 PM
Will the Tiny eBook Reader software work on the Samsung Smartphone? I tried to download it and the setup file keeps saying there's not enough space, but there is. Will this read the .lit files that the PocketPC devices can read with Microsoft Reader?

Thanks,

encece
11-22-2003, 03:35 AM
This does not read .lit files
Did you try installing to your SD card?

robinsonb
11-22-2003, 01:24 PM
It doesn't give me the chance to choose. I'm running it from my PC, and the insufficient message comes up right away. What kind of files can you read on this software? The information at Handango wasn't really clear and that's why I was testing the trial.

Thanks!

encece
11-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Text Files or Text File within ZIP files.
Orneta Reader has a few more options and is cheaper, but does not work on the i600.

flash
11-27-2003, 07:19 AM
Is there a reader for the i600 that can do .lit files?

encece
11-27-2003, 02:48 PM
not yet

flash
11-27-2003, 07:50 PM
I spoke with one of the smartphone product managers at a seminar and asked him if there were plans to release MS Reader for WM2003. It went like this:

"We don't think anyone would use that", says he.

"I would."

"Really? But the screen is so small!".

"Yeah -- but I don't care if I have to hit the DOWN button every few seconds. I can read stuff and I can leave my PDA at home. That's less stuff I have to carry."

"Hmm.. well we don't think enough people would use it", he shrugged.

Maybe once I get my phone and use it for a while I'll agree. But I doubt it. Another time -- maybe 8 months or a year ago -- I was over at MS main campus for something. I "just happened" to get on an elevator with 2 or 3 nerdy dudes. They all had Tanagers or Orange phones and all three were reading stuff on their phones. There were four people on the elevator and I felt all alone. :cry:

The point, though, is that if all three nerdy MS execs can stand there and read lengthy emails and stuff, why not a darn ebook? IMHO they are ignoring something that is pretty obvious. I don't know why it would be a big deal to port MSReader to a smartphone -- they shouldn't be very different from a coding perspective.

flash

robinsonb
11-28-2003, 12:55 AM
I completely agree. I hate being stuck somewhere with nothing to read. I loved having a few books on my iPAQ just in case. I wish they would reconsider, especially since I don't have my iPAQ anymore. :cry:

encece
11-28-2003, 02:48 AM
REALLY! How much trouble would it be for MS to convert Reader over from the PPC app? I'll bet not difficult at all.

They seem to have this mindset that the device is a phone first. Why dont they dont realize that many of the users are PPC converts and that the phone is tooooo powerful (as far as phones go) to just use for a few PIM apps and games.

Get with the program MS. This device could potentially replace your PPCs if you developed them correctly. Why coulnt you just scale a PPC down to Smartphone size? Palm has done it with the Treo (almost...if you like Palm). There is no reason why it cant be done with the PPC/Smartphone platforms. Merge them into one platform. Larger models/screens for the "Power users" who need a larger screen. Smaller versions in a phone form factor for the phone crowd. I dont know why this seems like a no brainer to me.

MajesticNJ
12-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Heh! There was a time that everyone said that reading books on an Ipaq was nuts because the screen was so small. Who cares how small the screen is. Just keep hitting page down. Gets the job done. :)

Also, I would think that they are concerned with memory availability for reader. At the same time though, we can watch movies and play mp3s. :)

Bah! Give us reader! :)

Fred