View Full Version : MPx200 From Amazon Only $79!

Robert Levy
11-15-2003, 06:47 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DIXEV/' target='_blank'>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DIXEV/</a><br /><br /></div>This is just unbelievable... For the next 10 days, you can get the MPx200 Smartphone on Amazon for a mere $79 after rebates. Prices like this are a very positive sign that Smartphone is going to be a big thing in the United States. The MPx200 is currently the 4th best-selling phone on Amazon and I expect it to continue climbing higher as the word spreads about how powerful and affordable they are.

encece
11-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Hey...I only paid $625 for my i600, so the $79.00 price for the Moto is VERY COMPARABLE! :roll:

sprytron
11-15-2003, 09:06 PM
This is a fantastic offer, however, it's considerably less appealing if your phone doesn't arrive in a reasonable amount of time. I placed my order for this phone on 10/26/03 on AT&T's website, and my order status still says "Processing". I'm on day 21 of waiting. AT&T is having serious problems with a recent systems upgrade and cannot process any new activations. They claim it's been down for ~2 weeks now.

http://news.com.com/2100-1039-5107746.html

also...

http://forums.attwireless.com

I'll wait 9 more days. If they can't deliver my phone a month after I ordered it, I'm sorry, but they don't deserve my business.

encece
11-15-2003, 10:34 PM
Can you just go to CompUSA or BestBuy to get one and cancel or return the one ordered from ATT?

ShivShanks
11-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Hey...I only paid $625 for my i600, so the $79.00 price for the Moto is VERY COMPARABLE! :roll:

Its just that you are paying a premium for the good coverage that Verizon has.

But I think Verizon is just getting too arrogant due to its good coverage. I seriously thought for switching to Verizon but I had issues with its data plans. I called up them up and asked them why don't they have better plans for data and why they are so expensive. I couldn't believe the conceit the person talking to me was showing. He started comparing Verizon to Mercedes and BMW etc. I told him well if your data plans don't improve I'm not going to switch to matter what your voice coverage is like. Looks like VZW just isn't interested in that market. The extreme arrogance is shocking. So I decided to stick with Sprint for its excellent $10 unlimited data (1xRTT 144kbps ). And now with their new "half your plan minutes roaming for no extra charge" option for $5 I get to digital roam on the very same Verizon network. Take that VZW! Now I get excellent voice and data for much much lesser. But I'm still on month to month with Sprint, ready to jump ship should anything deteriorate.

As for AT&T and the other GSM providers? Shudder ... They just royally screwed up the TDMA to GSM conversion IMHO ... Why do you think all the GSM folks like AT&T, T-Mobile and Cingular are giving such excellent deals. Coz their GSM network sucks and they just want to lock in customers on their crappy network ...

sprytron
11-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Can you just go to CompUSA or BestBuy to get one and cancel or return the one ordered from ATT?

Sure, but they can't activate it. AT&T's own B&M stores can't even activate any new GSM customers right now.

encece
11-16-2003, 12:28 AM
O

encece
11-16-2003, 12:35 AM
SHivShanks:

I agree 100%. But why is Verizon so greedy? Do they really have to make as much as possible because their product is really good?

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD, VERIZON!!!!

They charge more because their reception and coverage are great?

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE GREAT, VERIZON!!!!

So really they charge more because other companies AREN'T that good.

That's almost EXTORTION!!!

Can't they just charge a slight premium for their service and gain all of the Sprint, ATT, and TMobile customers back by offering competitive pricing. Doesnt customer satisfaction mean anything anymore?

And some better phones wouldn't hurt either.

ShivShanks
11-16-2003, 01:22 AM
Can't they just charge a slight premium for their service and gain all of the Sprint, ATT, and TMobile customers back by offering competitive pricing. Doesnt customer satisfaction mean anything anymore?

And some better phones wouldn't hurt either.

Well its not that they are expensive for voice. Their voice plans are pretty okay for the rates they charge I'll give them that. Where they don't just get it is data and other features. VZW only cares about voice and nothing else. They have much worser data plans. They also have a pretty limited selection of phones. And their 1xRTT coverage area is smaller than Sprint's. So they just don't want to come out with competitive data plans. I'll bet you that come Nov 24 a large no of business data accounts are going to move to Sprint. Nothing can touch them for data. So the short summary is that if you care about advanced data features then Verizon is one of the worst places to be in. But if voice is most important to you then they are the absolute best place to be in. Kinda funny huh? One day they will get it but not till they start losing data customers like crazy.

BTW why do you insist on sticking to them if data is important to you? There are other pretty reasonable alternatives available you know.

encece
11-16-2003, 02:03 AM
Voice and Data are important...just that voice is a bit more important. I like to be able to make and receive calls wherever I am. Unfortunately, T-Mobile doesn't see it that way. ATT, Cingular, and Sprint cant compare either.

BTW...If you dont have voice reception, you don't have 1xRTT or GPRS Reception. So any other carrier wouldnt be beneficial...as none are as good as Verizon.

I know their voice plans are not expensive. Their data plans are. And their smartphones are priced like PDAs. They need to look at the market a bit and make some concessions.

ShivShanks
11-16-2003, 02:42 AM
BTW...If you dont have voice reception, you don't have 1xRTT or GPRS Reception. So any other carrier wouldnt be beneficial...as none are as good as Verizon.

I think Sprint is pretty reasonable these days. Reason being the new roaming feature that they have which lets you use Verizon's network anyway (upto half your minutes). Their own coverage has also improved of late and at least where I live and work I haven't had any problems of late. And their data plans are unmatched. So I find Sprint to be pretty reasonable. Also they are the only US carrier allowing month to month plans (for $10 extra). Of course your mileage may vary. But if I were you I'd at least try them for 14 days and see if they are worth it. For me they seem very well worth the money I pay. Now I just wish they would release a Smartphone. Till then my Palm based i500 is quite satisfying.

encece
11-16-2003, 03:28 AM
Nah. If I'm going to go with a CDMA Network. It's going to be Verizon. If all reception was equal...I'd switch to TMobile...If I could get reception IN my home. GSM has the best phone options.