View Full Version : It's Official - Samsung i600 From Verizon Wireless!

David McNamee
11-10-2003, 04:13 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/information/presscenter/releases/verizon_wireless_samsung_nov10.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/information/presscenter/releases/verizon_wireless_samsung_nov10.mspx</a><br /><br /></div>Today, Microsoft and Verizon Wireless formally launched the Samsung i600 Smartphone. <br /><br />"The i600 is an integrated device with a sleek, clamshell design that combines Verizon Wireless' NationalAccess service with Microsoft's comprehensive Windows Mobile software which includes Pocket Outlook® , Pocket Internet Explorer, MSN® Messenger, Microsoft Windows Media Player™ and ActiveSync® . It also features an SDI/O Expansion Slot for memory expansion, added hardware accessories and additional applications that can be loaded on the device. "<br /><br />In conjunction with the launch, Handango has opened a portal on their store specially for Verizon Wireless customers. The portal can be found at <a href="http://www.handango.com/verizonwireless">http://www.handango.com/verizonwireless</a>.<br /><br />As for pricing: "Through the end of this year, the i600 Smartphone will retail for $399.99 after a $100 instant rebate, with a two-year agreement on a calling plan of $39.99 or greater and the PDA/Smartphone unlimited NationalAccess plan at any Verizon Wireless Communications Store or by calling 1-800-2JOIN-IN. The PDA/Smartphone feature is available at $24.99 monthly for 5MB NationalAccess allowance or $44.99 for unlimited NationalAccess allowance when added to any calling plan of $39.99 or higher. A PDA/Smartphone plan is required to use NationalAccess and Wireless Sync services from Verizon Wireless. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services visit www.verizonwireless.com."<br /><br />This is big news, folks! Now the CDMA crowd can join in all the Windows Mobile Smartphone fun, too! :rock on dude!:

Janak Parekh
11-10-2003, 04:40 PM
I saw the same email in my mailbox, but Verizon hasn't updated their webpage yet. :| And too "bad" I just started a brand-new contract with my i700. ;)

--janak

nobody
11-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Is this too expensive compare to mpx200? Sigh ... Too bad. I really have high hope for Samsung i600 because ATT GSM network coverage is just not there yet.

trachy
11-10-2003, 05:05 PM
$400 after committing to a 2-year contract?!? Yeah, that's a sure-fire way to get market penetration for a new product. Way to go, imbeciles.

Gunslinger
11-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Not only is the two year commitment and price of the phone outrageous, but $45 a month for unlimited date with a $40 calling plan! I'd like a smartphone, but these prices border of theivery!

Janak Parekh
11-10-2003, 05:41 PM
$400 after committing to a 2-year contract?!? Yeah, that's a sure-fire way to get market penetration for a new product. Way to go, imbeciles.
Verizon is typically expensive for any of their new smart devices, be they Palm, Windows Mobile, or anything else. After all, the 7135 is still listed for $500 with a 2-year contract, and the i700 is $600.

BTW, that doesn't necessarily make them "imbeciles"...

--janak

aristoBrat
11-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Is this too expensive compare to mpx200? Sigh ... Too bad. I really have high hope for Samsung i600 because ATT GSM network coverage is just not there yet.
That's the position I'm in.

Sexy, inexpensive MPx200 with no coverage,
or much more uglier, expensive i600 with great coverage.

trachy
11-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Verizon is typically expensive for any of their new smart devices, be they Palm, Windows Mobile, or anything else. After all, the 7135 is still listed for $500 with a 2-year contract, and the i700 is $600.

BTW, that doesn't necessarily make them "imbeciles"...

I understand that as a voice of Thoughts you probaby want to distance yourself from Verizon criticism, but -- c'mon! Justifying this highway robbery with the argument that they've always been expensive is absurd. It might be a valid argument if the market set that $400 price tag, but AT&T and Motorola have clearly shown that not to be the case. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DIXEV/robertlevynet-20/002-3736604-0912803?creative=125581&camp=2321&link_code=as1)

I don't usually resort to name calling, but whomever makes the pricing decisions at Verizon is an imbecile in my book. Frankly, I'm a little surprised MS and/or Samsung haven't dropped the hammer on them yet.

Janak Parekh
11-10-2003, 07:51 PM
I understand that as a voice of Thoughts you probaby want to distance yourself from Verizon criticism, but -- c'mon!
What on earth are you talking about? I'm not paid by Verizon or Samsung. Please don't imply that, either. :roll:

Justifying this highway robbery with the argument that they've always been expensive is absurd.
Why? I bought the Qualcomm pdQ back when it was $799 years ago when released by Sprint. I'm not saying it's necessarily smart, and I don't necessarily agree with their strategy, but it's been their business practice for years. They're obviously targeting the corporate market first.

It might be a valid argument if the market set that $400 price tag, but AT&T and Motorola have clearly shown that not to be the case.
Well, note that $120 of that discount is Amazon's. That makes the price difference on the order of about $150. It's probably not worth that, but Verizon made an administrative decision to price this as a slower-moving item.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised MS and/or Samsung haven't dropped the hammer on them yet.
Like I said, they've been selling the i700 at $599 for many months now. There's no rules about pricing, and I don't see any hammer. It's all within the "rules" of supply and demand. If an insufficient number of people buy it at that price point, they'll (hopefully) reduce the price. It's not like you're forced to buy this product. That would be highway robbery.

In general, if you look at Verizon Wireless, everything is more expensive -- both the phones and the service -- and yet, they do well. That means that despite their pricing, their network is in demand. The younger GSM networks price more aggressively, largely because they need to as they're still in a ramp-up mode. Nov. 24th will tell us whose business policies are working and whose are not.

--janak

aristoBrat
11-10-2003, 08:10 PM
It might be a valid argument if the market set that $400 price tag, but AT&T and Motorola have clearly shown that not to be the case.
I've been griping about this on HoFo for awhile. Here are some things that other people brought up.

#1: The MPx200 is $299 on AT&T's site (with any contract). The i600 will be $399 on VZW's site (with a two year contract). That's a $100 difference.
#2: AT&T's APGU is $377 while Verizon's is $250 -- perhaps AT&T is putting that $100 more they spend to attract a customer towards phone subsidy.
#3: The i600 comes with an extra 1700mha extended battery and a leather case. Not quite a $100 value, but it does come with more stuff.
#4: QualComm CDMA licensing fees could be higher than GSM/GPRS.
#5: The MPx200 is being batch manufactured for release on many GSM/GPRS networks worldwide, ... so its possibly cheaper because more of them are being made
#6: VZW's network has much much much more coverage than AT&T, so you're getting what you pay for.

I think the VZW price sucks, especially since you can get a MPx200 for $129 at Amazon, but there were definately "other factors" that could logically affect the price that I wasn't aware of.

stephenlabuda
11-11-2003, 01:44 AM
The i600 is in the verizon store on Boylston Street in Boston. I had a working unit in my hands for a while and had a chance to play with it. I was very impressed.

It made me change my mind about spending 650 on a upgrade.

However, they did not have any units for sale. They only had a display unit...grrr

trachy
11-11-2003, 02:54 AM
I understand that as a voice of Thoughts you probaby want to distance yourself from Verizon criticism, but -- c'mon!
What on earth are you talking about? I'm not paid by Verizon or Samsung. Please don't imply that, either. :roll:

I wouldn't know if you're paid by Verizon or Samsung, but I do know it's best not to burn bridges - especially if you haven't crossed them yet. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that you're not interested in badmouthing potential revenue streams. Of course, if you're not concerned about offending Verizon or Sprint, my unintended implication is withdrawn and noted. :-)

I bought the Qualcomm pdQ back when it was $799 years ago when released by Sprint. I'm not saying it's necessarily smart, and I don't necessarily agree with their strategy, but it's been their business practice for years. They're obviously targeting the corporate market first.

I think you're right about who their target market is. In fact, I saw somewhere in their press release that it was the perfect gadget for the "busy professional." However, I think this is where Verizon is falling short. If this were an established device I'd agree with their approach. In the US it's not though, and IMHO they ought not put the cart before the horse. There's a time for targeting an audience and a time for introducing a new concept and swaying the masses.

I should point out that I'm just a consumer, and that I have no marketing background. I'm just spouting off because of my personal perspective, and don't expect anyone to take me too seriously. ;-)

Well, note that $120 of that discount is Amazon's. That makes the price difference on the order of about $150. It's probably not worth that, but Verizon made an administrative decision to price this as a slower-moving item.

Understood, but unless Amazon is selling the MPx200 at a loss, does it matter who's setting the price?

Like I said, they've been selling the i700 at $599 for many months now. There's no rules about pricing, and I don't see any hammer. It's all within the "rules" of supply and demand. If an insufficient number of people buy it at that price point, they'll (hopefully) reduce the price. It's not like you're forced to buy this product. That would be highway robbery.

Of course, you're right. I just hope the price does get driven down instead of the alternative - abandoning the platform altogether before giving it a fair chance.

In general, if you look at Verizon Wireless, everything is more expensive -- both the phones and the service -- and yet, they do well. That means that despite their pricing, their network is in demand. The younger GSM networks price more aggressively, largely because they need to as they're still in a ramp-up mode. Nov. 24th will tell us whose business policies are working and whose are not.

So, what's November 24th? Quarterly call?

Janak Parekh
11-11-2003, 03:43 AM
However, I think this is where Verizon is falling short. If this were an established device I'd agree with their approach.
That was my allusion to the pdQ. Wireless carriers have been doing this for years; some more than others. The fact that Verizon is successful means that they are probably happy with their approach. They may be shortsighted in your or my opinion, but they have market analysts and whatever else to help them decide...

Wireless number portability.

--janak

aristoBrat
11-11-2003, 04:48 AM
Precise reads on quality are hard to come by, but one good proxy is the number of customers who leave. This year 22% of Verizon's customers will decamp. In the cellular industry, that's a win. Verizon's chief rivals lose 30%-plus a year; only Nextel does as well as Verizon.

Two-thirds of the 12 million customers who will sign with Verizon Wireless this year are defectors from rivals.
Yeah, and I'm one of 'em. :D

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2003/1110/078.html

Very awesome article. :)

Even talks about Line Number Portability:

Nine million users are so fed up with their carriers that they want to switch the very first day of the new rules, according to a survey by telecom consultancy TMNG. Another 30 million are prepared to follow as soon as another carrier gives them a better deal.

trachy
11-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Wireless number portability.

Oh yeah. Duh! Unfortunately for me and millions of others that date means nothing. A rep from the AT&T Wireless store told me that WNP will only be available on that date for the top 100 markets. I won't see it in my area at least until January or February, she said.

Janak Parekh
11-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Oh yeah. Duh! Unfortunately for me and millions of others that date means nothing. A rep from the AT&T Wireless store told me that WNP will only be available on that date for the top 100 markets. I won't see it in my area at least until January or February, she said.
Really? 8O It sounds like they're violating the FCC mandate then, but I don't know. We'll see.

--janak

aristoBrat
11-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately for me and millions of others that date means nothing. A rep from the AT&T Wireless store told me that WNP will only be available on that date for the top 100 markets. I won't see it in my area at least until January or February, she said.
A lot of other people are in another boat -- on 11/24, they technically can take their phone number and go to another provider, but they're still bound by the 1yr/2yr contract they signed with their original provider.

WintermuteX
11-11-2003, 04:52 PM
may i also point out that verizon's cdma 1x is quite superior to gprs and there is actually a product code that will allow you to use their Express Network at no cost, only a deduction of your minutes, the feature code is "1xpp1" no one really knows about it but if you get the right customer service rep they will add it to your account no problem. so quit complaining about prices, this is always the way its been. most att customers in my area get spotty coverage at best. those complainig are also loosing perspective that this is the first cdma smartphone and the second smartphone in the US, of course verizon is going to squeeze for $ and i am pretty shure there will be deals around christmas.

aristoBrat
11-11-2003, 05:01 PM
may i also point out that verizon's cdma 1x is quite superior to gprs and there is actually a product code that will allow you to use their Express Network at no cost, only a deduction of your minutes, the feature code is "1xpp1" no one really knows about it but if you get the right customer service rep they will add it to your account no problem. so quit complaining about prices, this is always the way its been. most att customers in my area get spotty coverage at best. those complainig are also loosing perspective that this is the first cdma smartphone and the second smartphone in the US, of course verizon is going to squeeze for $ and i am pretty shure there will be deals around christmas.
The ability to use your regular minutes to access the Express Network without one of VZW's crazily priced data plans IMO makes VZW one of the BEST values now. I don't talk that much on my phone, so a bucket of 400 anytime minutes (along with free nights/weekends) means I can talk, sync, and surf for 39.99/month.

Now there's talk on HoFo that what you're talking about is only available in some markets -- not all allow the untethered access to Express Network. Guess we'll see.

If more people knew about the product code you're talking about, then I think there'd be a lot less hate and discontent for VZW's prices and rates.

stephenlabuda
11-12-2003, 01:02 AM
I just purchased the i600 from my local verizon store. I have only had an account with verizon for about two months, so I should have had to pay the full retail price. However, I made a sad face and they gave it to me for 499.00.

Takes the sting out of the upgrade a little bit...at least, 150$ worth of the sting is gone.

aristoBrat
11-12-2003, 01:22 AM
LOL .. must have been some good sad face! ;)

Mine should hopefully arrive tomorrow!

Macguy59
11-17-2003, 09:08 PM
I just purchased the i600 from my local verizon store. I have only had an account with verizon for about two months, so I should have had to pay the full retail price. However, I made a sad face and they gave it to me for 499.00.

Takes the sting out of the upgrade a little bit...at least, 150$ worth of the sting is gone.

Congrats. But at $499 they didn't exactly just 'give' it to you now did they :wink: