View Full Version : Microsoft Sets 100 Million Target for Smart Phones and PDAs

Jason Dunn
11-07-2003, 02:33 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=126245&liFlavourID=1&sp=1' target='_blank'>http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=126245&liFlavourID=1&sp=1</a><br /><br /></div>"Microsoft has set a target to sell 100 million personal digital assistants and smart phones running Windows by 2007. The goal was set by Microsoft chief executive officer Steve Ballmer for the company's Windows Mobile unit, and shows that Microsoft is serious about this market, said Douglas Dedo, marketing manager for Windows Mobile at Microsoft. A large percentage of the Windows Mobile device shipments will be smart phones, not PDAs, Dedo said.<br /><br />Smart phones are devices that look like a phone, but offer extended PDA-like capabilities such as e-mail access and a calendar. Microsoft launched its first smart phone about a year ago in Europe. AT&T Wireless Services last month began selling Motorola's MPx200, the first smart phone based on Windows Mobile software to be sold in the US. <br /><br />Thinking in big numbers is nothing new for Microsoft, but the 100 million target for Windows Mobile devices in 2007 seems bullish when looking at the market and forecasts. The goal "may be a bit aggressive", said Todd Kort, a principal analyst at market researcher Gartner."<br /><br />What do you think? Can Microsoft and their partners do it?

Fritzly
11-07-2003, 03:02 AM
I think so. Problem is how many will be Pocket and how many Smartphone? My guess is 1 to 9

TopDog
11-07-2003, 01:11 PM
If Microsoft is going to beat Symbian in Europe, they need to get more international language support. People here are used to having theire own language in the menues, and at least in T9.

And batterytime is a big issue. With a standard Nokia phone people are used to having the phone on 24/7 and charging once a week, not once a day...

This is the two major issues I see, that needs to be resolved before MS based SmartPhones can join the major leage.

TopDog
11-07-2003, 01:12 PM
I think so. Problem is how many will be Pocket and how many Smartphone? My guess is 1 to 9
Yes, I think the potential is much bigger in SmartPhones than Pocket PC's if Microsoft just get their act together...