View Full Version : Soft Reset

John Cody
11-02-2003, 05:10 PM
I personally don't own a MPx200 (I'm waiting for the i600), but a friend of mine just purchased one - very nice looking phone.

While attending the Mobile Devices Tour in NYC, his MPx200 started to act a little funny. So, natually I looked for the little hole of the "soft reset" switch. But did not find one. He happen to have the manual with him, and after reading it, it appeared there was no soft reset button. The manual only described a hard reset, which would clear the device's memory completely (i.e. all data/apps are lost), and that this hard reset can only be performed at a Motorola service center.

Well, I said there has to be a way to soft-reset the device, because any windows-based device will eventually require a reset ;) So, I turned the phone off, then removed the battery pack for 30 seconds, then turned the phone back on. That fixed the problem he was having.

So, it appears that if you want to do a soft reset (i.e. not loose data) on a MPx200, just remove the battery back for 30 seconds and turn the phone back on.

Robert Levy
11-02-2003, 05:29 PM
On Smartphone, turning the phone off/on for any amount of time will do a soft reset. This is different from Pocket PC which is never really off at all.

Robert Levy
11-02-2003, 05:30 PM
On Smartphone, turning the phone off/on for any amount of time will do a soft reset. This is different from Pocket PC which is never really off at all.

aristoBrat
11-06-2003, 04:58 PM
The manual only described a hard reset, which would clear the device's memory completely (i.e. all data/apps are lost), and that this hard reset can only be performed at a Motorola service center.
Actually, if you turn the phone power on while holding the blue 'Action' button, it will prompt you if you want to do a hard reset.

No service center required, and much easier that the iPAQ stylus-in-the-reset-hole while holding down two of the app buttons. ;)

GF
12-04-2003, 04:37 PM
The manual only described a hard reset, which would clear the device's memory completely (i.e. all data/apps are lost), and that this hard reset can only be performed at a Motorola service center.
Actually, if you turn the phone power on while holding the blue 'Action' button, it will prompt you if you want to do a hard reset.

No service center required, and much easier that the iPAQ stylus-in-the-reset-hole while holding down two of the app buttons. ;)

I have tried it but it didn't work. Please advise.

aristoBrat
12-04-2003, 04:43 PM
If your MPx200 is completely turned off, and you press (and keep holding) the blue action button and then turn the power on, the master reset screen should come up.

If not, I'd guess you'd have to give AT&T a call, or search over at www.mpx200.org and see if someone else had the same problem. :(

GF
12-04-2003, 05:33 PM
If your MPx200 is completely turned off, and you press (and keep holding) the blue action button and then turn the power on, the master reset screen should come up.

If not, I'd guess you'd have to give AT&T a call, or search over at www.mpx200.org and see if someone else had the same problem. :(

This is what I did but the master reset screen did not come up. I bought the phone in HK. I don't want to go to the Moto services centre.

Thanks,
GF

GF
12-05-2003, 09:21 AM
I managed to hard reset the phone. I need to turn it off and wait for a while (few minutes) then hold down the "Action Button" while turn on the phone.

DJ E-Bam
01-26-2004, 11:53 PM
It worked for me just fine.

I turned off the phone....then held down the blue button while turning it back on and the embedded "MAster Reset" option popped up at the bottom of the "HelloMoto" intro screen. I selected "yes" and it erased the flash memory....formatted the IPSM....the works....all back to factory settings.

swbuehler
01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
While attending the Mobile Devices Tour in NYC, his MPx200 started to act a little funny. So, natually I looked for the little hole of the "soft reset" switch. But did not find one. He happen to have the manual with him, and after reading it, it appeared there was no soft reset button. The manual only described a hard reset, which would clear the device's memory completely (i.e. all data/apps are lost), and that this hard reset can only be performed at a Motorola service center.

Turning the phone off and then on is the equivalent of a "soft reset" (there is also a utility called "Quick Reset" which allows you do this via software; I use this often when putting in one of my SD cards that the phone for some reason won't pick up unless I reset it.

To perform a hard reset (which returns the phone to factory/carrier specifications), hold down the power and action buttons at the same time until the display asks if you want to perform a Hard Reset.