View Full Version : New Display Capabilities Coming for Windows Mobile

Robert Levy
10-28-2003, 02:27 AM
In the overview “Developing for Windows Mobile” session at Microsoft’s Professional Developers Conference, James Pratt touched <i>very</i> briefly on something that developers will want to think about in designing their Windows Mobile applications: new display capabilities for next generation Windows Mobile devices.<ul><li>Pocket PC will support VGA (640x480), “square”, and “standard” resolutions in both landscape and portrait modes.<li>Smartphone will support QVGA (320x240) and the current “standard” resolution. (Wow!)</ul>Rumor has it that this (and others) will be discussed in more depth during other sessions this week. I’ll refrain from analysis until after more details have been announced, but suffice it to say that this is going to be a huge step in the evolution of the Windows Mobile platform.David and I will continue reporting live from the PDC and (assuming the wireless network stops going down :roll:) we'll be posting more news and details as it becomes available. Stay tuned!

DubWireless
10-28-2003, 03:20 AM
great news - we currently have the Sharp GX20 (http://www.sharp-mobile.com/europe/uk/products/model.asp?id=gx20) on offer here with a QVGA 240x320, 64K-colour CGS (Continuous Grain Silicon (http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/9801.htm)) LCD - it's an amazing screen - really takes your breath away when you see it for the first time - getting a display resolution like that into a fully featured device like a MS Smartphone / Symbian Smartphone would be a great step in the right direction...

Paul
10-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Woohoo! Alriiiiight :D VGA here we come!

Fitch
10-29-2003, 12:56 AM
:rock on dude!: Wow.

So the Microsoft dude on pocketpcthoughts.com says that Windows Mobile 2004 won't be out for a whole year. What about smartphones with 240x320.... Think that'll be part of the Smartphone2004 spec, or will we see 2003 with these resolutions (like that beautiful Sharp DubWireless posted)