View Full Version : MSN Messenger Requires Updating, Smartphone Users To Be Left Waiting

Robert Levy
10-07-2003, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/msnmessenger/smartphone.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/msnmessenger/smartphone.mspx</a><br /><br /></div>As you may have heard, Microsoft is changing their Messenger servers on October 15 and users will be locked out if they are not running an updated version of the software. As a result users of 3rd party software like Trillian and even previous versions of Microsoft's software will be in the dark until they upgrade.<br /><br />The new desktop version has been available for a while now and can be retrieved from Microsoft's website. The new Pocket PC version has also just been <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/msnmessenger/pocketpc.mspx">released</a> (see <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,19034">Pocket PC Thoughts</a> for more coverage on this). So what about Smartphone users? Well here is what the Microsoft <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/msnmessenger/smartphone.mspx">website</a> has to say:<br /><br /><i>"Microsoft is working with its mobile operator partners to make updates available for all Windows Mobile-based Smartphones soon. We apologize for any service interruptions. MSNŽ Messenger is the only feature impacted by this update. Some Windows Mobile-based Smartphones will be compatible with the new protocol out-of-the-box and customers will not need to take any action in order to access MSN Messenger after October 15."</i><br /><br />What this seems to mean is that the new devices expected to launch later this year will have a working version of Messenger in ROM. Existing Smartphone owners we are left waiting for their mobile operator to work with Microsoft on providing an update. We have been told by Microsoft that the update does in fact exist for Smartphone but it needs some final tweaks before being released to mobile operators. Once the operators have it, they will distribute it to their customers. It remains to be seen what will happen to customers whose devices are not tied to a mobile operator.<br /><br />While I am disturbed by the thought of being unable to use Messenger on my phone for an unknown number of weeks, I see this as an indicator of larger problems. Clearly this is the work of poor planning and a lack of inter-department communication at Microsoft. Nobody in the Mobile Devices group could possibly see this premature October 15 cutoff as a being a good decision. Given that the chosen date is entirely arbitrary, my suspicion is that this decision was made elsewhere in the company where the Smartphone platform was simply overlooked. This does not reflect well on Microsoft or the Smartphone platform. If they intend for these devices to be successful in proliferating throughout the market, the devices first need to proliferate throughout Microsoft. The decision makers and planners in all branches of the company need to be familiar with the Smartphone platform and its basic capabilities. Then they need to apply that knowledge when organizing things such as this.<br /><br />I find it hard to believe that this could not have been avoided through better planning and communication. Let's just hope that it is resolved quickly, smoothly, and that actions are taken to prevent similar things from happening in the future.

Arne Hess
10-07-2003, 09:09 AM
I find it hard to believe that this could not have been avoided through better planning and communication.
Nothing to add... 8O :evil: :splat:

Ed Hansberry
10-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Shameful. I regularly communicate with smartphone users on IM. No longer I guess, for a while at least. :cry:

TopDog
10-08-2003, 08:57 AM
This is my first post here :-)

This is bad news... I've just bought a used Qtek 7070 from a friend, and here in Norway, we don't have any mobile operators that sell/support smartphone :-(

Arne: Do you know what you I-mate customers will do? Will there be a fix for people like "us" sooner or later?

David McNamee
10-08-2003, 02:00 PM
This is my first post here :-)
Welcome!

Gorskar
10-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Arne - you sell the i-mate on ppcw.net yes?
So have Microsoft been in touch with you about releasing an update?

Ramin
10-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Couldn't Microsoft just extend the deadline to a more reasonable date (e.g. October 31) and have versions of MSN Messenger for ALL platforms ready by then? :?: Extending the deadline by 2 weeks wouldn't be as bad as the present scenario of just cutting us off from the service! :evil: Those of us attending PDC 2003 should highlight this issue at the Conference! :roll:

I was planning to conduct a Microsoft Smartphone workshop for the MyPDACafe User Group in KL, Malaysia on October 18 and one of the topics on the agenda was connectivity - any time, any place (including a MSN Messenger, MSN Alerts demo). Now, I can't highlight MSN Messenger, if there's an October 15th cut off and no updated MSN Messenger for Smartphone by then... :roll: :x

Microsoft: If you're seriously committed to the Smartphone platform - WAKE UP & FIX THIS!

PS- I think serious issues like this deserve far more attention in Smartphone Thoughts, than all that hype generated prior to the Sierra Wireless Smartphone launch. :| :!:

Chronos
10-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Simply inexcusable. :twisted:

Ramin
10-14-2003, 06:43 AM
This just came in...

Reply-To : [email protected]
To : [email protected]
Subject : MSN Messenger Update for Windows Mobile-based Smartphones
Date : Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:42:48 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Windows Mobile-based Smartphone Customer:

In an effort to ensure the latest security and privacy protections,
Microsoft recently made an update to the .NET Messenger Service
which requires customers to install an updated client in order to
continue accessing the Service after October 15, 2003.

Microsoft is working with its mobile operator partners to make
updates available for Windows Mobile-based Smartphones soon. Some
Windows Mobile-based Smartphones will have the latest security and
privacy protections out-of-the-box and customers will not need to
take any action in order to access MSN Messenger after October 15.

You can learn more about the availability of MSN Messenger updates
for Smartphones at the Windows Mobile web site.

We apologize for any service interruptions in the event that updated
MSN Messenger clients are not available for some Smartphone
customers immediately after October 15. This update only applies to
MSN Messenger. No other voice, data, or software functionality on
Smartphone is impacted by this update.

Please visit our web site for additional information on
update availability.

The Windows Mobile Team
www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile