View Full Version : Pocket Streets on Smartphones?

kiwi
09-11-2003, 05:27 AM
Okay guys,

maybe I am too early and should check back in 6months.. but I was wondering if Pocket Streets will run on Smartphones?

I currently use only a few apps on my Ipaq 2210 - Pocket streets is one of them. I wonder if there are any good smartphones coming out soon ?

B

Kris Kumar
09-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Pocket Streets is not compatible with Smartphones.

I believe the lack of Touch screen restricts it.

However I use Yahoo Maps and Mapquest using IE.
Works great, except that when I really need it, I usually dont have any signal :-)

kiwi
09-11-2003, 03:41 PM
thanks for the information.. talk of touch screen smartphones for end of Summer 2004 on other web sites/forums...

I suppose I could get an XDA style device though.. hmm..

One more thing, can these phones make DTMF tones? IE. If I am at a payphoen and want to dial my calling card, will they be able to play DTMF sounds using Dialing software? On my Ipaq PocketInformant has this tool, but there are other dialer only software available...

b

brntcrsp
09-11-2003, 06:28 PM
I don't know there is any reson that you couldn't have a Smartphone version of Pocket Streets. Based on the layout of the devices the touch screen only has a few advantages.

Zoom in and out can easily be controlled by various buttons.
The zoom over an area feature could easily be duplicated by using a specific feature to place a cursor on the screen use the D-pad to place it at the starting point, press the action button, move the d-pad to the end position press action again and zoom in on the area. Maybe provide a way to scroll through the locations in the viewable area. definitely not as fast as a stylus, but still fully do-able.

8O I didn't even know DTMF was legal. I thought after the Cap'n Crunch (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3347481,00.html)(is that the right guy?) escapade that it was frowned upon by the phone companies and the feds.

kiwi
09-11-2003, 11:13 PM
yeah, thats how I thought it may work.. mind you, for maps and stuff, I suppose I could scan in images.. depends on memory avail on the phones I suppose.

8O I didn't even know DTMF was legal. I thought after the Cap'n Crunch (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3347481,00.html)(is that the right guy?) escapade that it was frowned upon by the phone companies and the feds.

I use DTMF to call my calling card number, then to enter my PIN and then call the international number I want.. about 30-40 digits.. can get frustrating when stuby fingers hit the wrong key :)

mar2k
10-05-2003, 05:37 AM
Pocket Streets is not compatible with Smartphones.

I believe the lack of Touch screen restricts it.

However I use Yahoo Maps and Mapquest using IE.
Works great, except that when I really need it, I usually dont have any signal :-)

Could you also save offline HTML from these sites to SD card and view them with IE without using airtime? New to Smartphones, just wondering, thanks.......

Kris Kumar
10-05-2003, 06:13 AM
Could you also save offline HTML from these sites to SD card

Havent tried it...but it should work...I mean I have generated HTML files on the PC...and then saved them to SD Card...and viewed them.

So if u were to save the Yahoo map direction on your pc and move the html and the supporting image files to the sd card...it should work.

The phone doesnt provide any way to save the html files thru its Pocket IE browser. Saving has to be done on the PC.

Actually what u have suggested is a pretty good idea.

IntelligentDumbPhone
10-14-2003, 08:03 PM
is pocket streets just a map program? becuase you can hit up mobile mapquest on your phone and it will give you driving direction to anywhere. i beleive the address is www.mapquest.com/mobile (site changes depending on what device youre using to view it