View Full Version : Having problems with debug & the Smartphone emulator (2003) ??

Mike Temporale
08-28-2003, 06:21 PM
I finally solved my headache, and I thought I would share it with everyone.

I was running the Smartphone 2003 SDK fine all last week when I was at the cottage. (Even with all the wine I was drinking, everything worked fine). However; since I returned home, I have been unable to get the emulator to run my application in debug mode. It would run fine if I selected "Start without debugging" from the debug menu.

After un-installing & reinstalling the SDK, and reading the newsgroups to no avail. I realized the only thing that has changed since the cottage was my firewall. (There's no wireless or high speed, and I had turned off the firewall just prior to leaving when I was remoting my other machine.) When I returned home, I instantly turned this back on.

I'm not running any special firewall, just the one built into XP Pro. Anyway, I just turned it off, hard-reset the emulator, and restarted VS.NET and everything works fine! :D

I hope this saves some of you the headaches I have been having.

David McNamee
09-02-2003, 06:57 PM
EEEKK!! That's horrible! I'll have to try that out tonight.

In recent presentations I've made the statement that developers are the number one security risk inside an organization. Here's another example: having to shut off ICF to get things to work.

Mike Temporale
09-03-2003, 12:50 PM
EEEKK!! That's horrible! I'll have to try that out tonight.

Please do! In case I'm going crazy, or worse... my system is. :crazyeyes:

I have installed a loopback adapter. So I no longer have this problem. The debugger talks to the smartphone emulator over the loopback. Allowing me to keep working if I don't have an IP, and with my firewall activated.