View Full Version : Smartphone as Modem

goofy166
08-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Has any one used the Smartphone as a modem and got it to work?

Kris Kumar
08-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Yup..it works great..

I use IR as the means of connectivity, never tried USB.

Setting up IR is pretty simple...works with Pocket PC and Laptops...no drivers required.

If ur phone is setup for GPRS, then on ur laptop or Pocket PC, create a new Dial up connection, specify IR port and then for phone number use *99#

In my case I didnt have to tweak any other setting...launch the dialup, align the IR ports and u will be thru...

http://smartphone.modaco.com may have a detailed thread on configuring the phone and laptop dial up connection.

goofy166
08-11-2003, 04:17 PM
That is a great solution however my laptop is a new one and it has no IR port. Most newer lapstops seem to have dropped IR. There is a lesson on PPWC.net on how to use a INF driver with USB but I could not get it to work.

Kris Kumar
08-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Oops...doesnt have IR...surprising

I wish the Smartphones had Bluetooth...cant wait to get may hands on the next gen Smartphones !!

Christian
08-19-2003, 02:42 AM

I wish the Smartphones had Bluetooth...cant wait to get may hands on the next gen Smartphones !!

I've personally wondered why they currently don't - is the idea that the Smartphones are so fully functional that you wouldn't need to connect to other devices?

goofy166
08-19-2003, 03:02 AM
I believe I heard a rumor that 2003 some 2003 devices will have bluetooth. I think its a battery issue. There a modem driver that is suppose to work on the PC allowing you to use the phone but its kaput for me, can't install it.

Robert Levy
08-19-2003, 04:25 AM

In Smartphone 2002, it's a whole lot of extra work for manufacturers to get bluetooth integrated. 2003 fixes that and I expect the devices to reflect that. The same thing happened with Pocket PC.