View Full Version : Which Microsoft Applications Do You Miss?

Robert Levy
08-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Smartphone 2002 has the most essential applications built in. However, there are a few notable programs that exist on the Pocket PC but didn't make it over to the Smartphone side. Which of these do you miss most? Which 3rd party applications have you purchased to fill the gap?

encece
08-03-2003, 04:48 PM
I would like MS to produce a MS Reader Application for the Smartphone to read .lit ebooks.

PowerTasks is my replacement of choice for the terrible built-in tasks application.

I really can't see trying to produce a word or excel document on my phone...so repligo does the trick for reading apps.

ClearView Suite will allow me to view documents without converting which means I'll be able to view attachments directly from my email. Though I have not seen the ability that will allow the documents to be viewed as "flowed" as in repligo, which means you'll be scrolling left to right as well as up and down. Not bad in a pinch but not my preference when reading multiple files.

Smart Explorer has been my File Explorer since I forst got the device. I wouldn't be caught without it and is the first program I reload in case I need to Hard Reset. (Unfortunately....you DO need to hard reset once in awhile!)

Shaun
08-03-2003, 06:36 PM
MS Reader should be available for smartphone - I cant understand the logic behind why it would be left out.

I feel that editing information on a phone keyboard is not that efficient so I can understand why there are no word or excel programs built in (although I would like this). However, one of the key concepts of the smartphone is to provide a device that give access to information on the move.

MS Reader should be a no brainer.

skjelnes
08-03-2003, 08:55 PM
All of the above!

AvantGo! I know it is not from Microsoft, but it is bilt in with the Pocket PC so WHY not in the Smartphone?

Robert Levy
08-03-2003, 10:10 PM
All of the above!

AvantGo! I know it is not from Microsoft, but it is bilt in with the Pocket PC so WHY not in the Smartphone?

My conspiracy theory: the carriers selling Smartphones want you to sign up for their data services

jenneth
08-04-2003, 01:22 AM
Definitely MS Reader. All of the other stuff can be added with 3rd party applications and probably do it better than Microsoft, though it still baffles me why they didn't at least bundle a simple file explorer. Mobipocket Reader's just been released for Smartphone, which is a good start, though they pulled it not long after they made it available, grrr. Anyone download this and wanna send it to me? :lol:

RDC
08-04-2003, 03:29 AM
I want file syncronization. That's an application, right? Oh yeah, I hear that Bluetooth program is pretty cool too.

MR_E
08-04-2003, 12:36 PM
I'd prefer Reader to be released first. Mobipocket looks OK, but I'm not looking forward to finding out how to convert my LIT files into Mobipocket books. Palm Reader would be nice, too: great program.

TANKERx
08-04-2003, 02:38 PM
I voted for Reader, but once the final Mobipocket comes out (4.7), that'll change because I'll be able to read e-books across the different platforms that I use and with a top-notch application like Mobipocket that lets you do so much more than the competition, I'll be landed!

ppcsurfr
08-04-2003, 07:25 PM
All I want is a good Microsoft designed phone software that has priority over the rest of the applications...

So far, if you have several appliations runnign and you receive SMS, or a call... it can take forever to hand off resources to the phone part of the device...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Chris Glenton
08-05-2003, 10:13 AM
All of the above!

My conspiracy theory: the carriers selling Smartphones want you to sign up for their data services

Indeed, Robert. Orange DK have started to charge [what I think are] quite extortionate prices for just these types of service....

Jason Dunn
08-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Notes. NOTES. NOTES!

I mean, what the hell? How could they have left this out? 8O

File sync is another no-brainer. Do they really expect the average user to install a ring-tone by tunneling down through the Explore function? Bleh. What they need to do is created a syncrhonized file folder with virtual mapping. Hmm. That would make a good front-page post. :-)

MS Reader would also be cool. I'm pretty sure the reason why we don't have it is that the people on the Reader team think the Smartphone screen is too small to read books on. That's just a guess mind you, but I've seen that mindset from Microsoft in the past - "Why would anyone want to have Pocket Word on their Palm-sized PC?" I hope I'm wrong about that, because I too would like to see MS Reader on my Smartphone, if only to read some of the cool free books I've found (I won't touch Microsoft's DRM books).