View Full Version : How To Change Device Name?

David McNamee
07-22-2003, 08:53 PM
I was just thinking about the VPN capabilities of the Smartphone. How do you change the machine name so that there isn't a name resolution conflict when you hit the network?

Gorskar
07-25-2003, 11:58 PM
eh?

what conflict?

David McNamee
07-26-2003, 12:58 AM
eh?

what conflict?

If you have more than one device on a LAN with the same name, like, say, "Smartphone", won't there be a name resolution conflict? I could see that being a problem.

spg
07-26-2003, 02:32 AM
If you have more than one device on a LAN with the same name, like, say, "Smartphone", won't there be a name resolution conflict? I could see that being a problem.
Hmm... good question. I'd be interested to know this as well... anyone know?

ppcsurfr
07-26-2003, 03:38 AM
2 ways...

1. Edit the registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Ident\

Change the value in Name

or

2. Create a partnership using ActiveSync, then hard reset the smartphone, create a partnership again and a window will appear that the name isalready in use ad you will have to rename the smartphone.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

David McNamee
07-26-2003, 03:44 AM
2 ways...

Yuck. Good opportunity to write an app, though.

GG
07-29-2003, 02:54 PM
The easiest way is to edit the registry on the PC:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\<hex number, unique for your device>

Change the value of DisplayName (standard as you said is "Smartphone") to a name of your choice.
At next ActiveSync session, your phone will change its name with the new one.

GG

spg
07-29-2003, 11:15 PM
The easiest way is to edit the registry on the PC:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\<hex number, unique for your device>

Change the value of DisplayName (standard as you said is "Smartphone") to a name of your choice.
At next ActiveSync session, your phone will change its name with the new one.
Still pretty ugly solution... not something the average user would want to go and change. I hope this is made much easier in the next version of the Smartphone OS...

Chronos
07-30-2003, 01:47 PM
I seem to remember that my Qtek came with a little app that loads the PPC name, IE favorites, etc directly to the SP. I'll have to check it out later to confirm.

David McNamee
07-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Still pretty ugly solution... not something the average user would want to go and change.
Forget average user. I'm thinking about network admins who need to deploy a bunch of Smartphones through the organization. They're not going to want to have to cradle the phone or hack the registry. They're going to want to turn the phone on, make a few changes from a config screen, and throw it over the wall to the user.

I really hope this is looked at in v.Next.