View Full Version : Where is convergence heading?

encece
07-19-2003, 01:52 AM
http://www.encece.com/convergence.gif

encece
07-19-2003, 02:38 AM
Well what do YOU draw when YOU'RE bored?

I can't help but see the PocketPC and the Smartphone eventually merging into the same device...or devices, with the same functionality & software, in different hardware form factors, to suit everyone's individual tastes.

In short, a PocketPC Phone in your choice of large screen format...or a more compact format. (I personally wouldn't mind the phone having a touch screen.)

Or...maybe a little further down the line...a full-blown PC/Phone, in your choice or configurations. One that you can plug into a keyboard/monitor docking station...at home, at work, at the coffee shop. You could go on forever with this line of thought...

What do you see in the future of mobile devices?

spg
07-19-2003, 04:02 AM
Tablet PCs! Where are the Tablet PCs on your list? :D

Seriously though... I envision having one small device such as the Smartphone, but like you say with more of the Pocket PC Phone features. This combined with where Tablet PCs are headed, you have a nice solution for taking notes and you full computer needs (Tablet PC), and then your phone and basic PDA features in the Smartphone. Two devices for all you need, and prehaps integrate wireless phone into the Tablet PC size as well (Bluetooth headset, etc..)

I really don't think we will ever have what you say as in "full blown PC/Phone". While this would be cool, you get to the point when you still have to have some screen size, and a phone size screen with full PC functions wouldn't work well for the human eye. While I understand what you mean being able to plug it in, this kinda goes backwards to the thin client idea, and you would have to be at a location that supports this to use it. Not really practical IMHO.

encece
07-19-2003, 04:38 AM
Ahhhh....but my vision is in a perfect world where everone is using the same devices that I am...so compatibility is not a problem! :D

I did forget the TabletPCs....I apologize for that. Which, by the way is closer to my vision than you may think. Wouldn't it be cool to have a docking station at home and at work where you're working on the same PC at all times?! :D

As far as my PC/Phone idea...the user interface would change depending on which mode you're working on...in a PC, it's full PC mode. As itself, it's in PDA mode. :D NICE!

spg
07-19-2003, 04:43 AM
I did forget the TabletPCs....I apologize for that. Which, by the way is closer to my vision than you may think. Wouldn't it be cool to have a docking station at home and at work where you're working on the same PC at all times?! :D
Yes, it is very cool. :-)

As far as my PC/Phone idea...the user interface would change depending on which mode you're working on...in a PC, it's full PC mode. As itself, it's in PDA mode. :D NICE!
I understand that thought too... but the problem is that by itself it is only available in PDA mode. I don't see myself wanting to use that small of a device as my main computer. Something like an 8.4 inch screen or something maybe... but when you get down to PDA size you end up not being able to do much on it. (See, I love the Tablet PC form factor, because I can use it anytime, anywhere and the screen is plenty big)[/i]

encece
07-19-2003, 05:07 AM
But the little device would snap into your tabletPC as well. Then when you go to the beach you could just take the guts and leave the big monitor at home! The versitility of this small device is key!

By the way...how do I make this magical little device anyway?

Help me out....we could be gazillionairs! :D

spg
07-19-2003, 06:27 AM
But the little device would snap into your tabletPC as well. Then when you go to the beach you could just take the guts and leave the big monitor at home! The versitility of this small device is key!

By the way...how do I make this magical little device anyway?

Help me out....we could be gazillionairs! :D
Well, I guess that might work out. As long as you have the ability for the larger mobile type screens, and not just big workstation type setups. (You could actually go on into infinity with that... insert PDA into Tablet, card PC into PDA, even smaller card PC into card PC into PDA.) It took you a few posts, but I think I understand what you mean now. :)

As for making the device... first step would be wait about 5 years for the hardware to be able to fit in a small device like that. :-) Then after that... start making some prototypes. Got any engineering tricks up you sleeve?

spg
07-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Ok, one more post and I'll stop for the night.

http://www.extremetech.com/slideshow/0,3970,p=2&r=10&a=36473,00.asp

I just located something again that your idea reminded me of... this is an actual HP prototype PC that uses "pods" with all the data storage and maybe processing power too, I'm not certain. There was also an article about this a while back when they gave a demo of it. I can't find that article right now, but it explained the concept. Anyway, similar idea but without all the levels of versitility. Good start though... things can certainly grow from there.

ppcsurfr
07-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Several devices in the future... still...

like PC now... ou still have destop PCs and Notebooks and Tablet PCs...

I think they will all co-exist for a long time... maybe about a year or two...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Jason Dunn
07-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Wow, great discussion guys! :-D

mcsouth
07-19-2003, 07:32 PM
I believe that convergence will happen in ways that aren't so obvious to some - for example, convergence to me doesn't necessarily mean everything in one device - why can't it mean all functions merged into one central core (after all, that supports Stephen Covey's 'one calendar' approach), with multiple peripherals that can access that core? As an example, some people don't care to hold a pda up to their ear to make a phone call, and others don't like trying to browse on a cellphone screen. Well, if your core device was carried in your pocket, but all your access to its functionality was through peripherals, wouldn't that solve some of those issues? Bluetooth sort of tries to do this today, but from the bit I've heard, it isn't quite their yet, at least not for the masses.

But if you think about it, using Bluetooth, or something like it, would allow you to use the earpiece for phone calls, and you could unfold or unroll one of the new flexible screen technologies for large screen browsing.

The other thought would be something like what Psion showed a year or two ago; the little cube device with the screen that unfolded (kind of like the old-style flash umbrellas you used to use with flash bulbs) so that the screen could be two, three or four times larger than the device itself - gives you the best of both worlds, in some ways.

That seems to be the one strike against convergence, in some ways - pda's can't quite replace a laptop in a lot of situations, because of the data entry issues (not quite overcome with a folding keyboard) and screen size, and a cell phone can't quite replace a pda for some applications, also because of data entry issues, and screen size.

I was visiting with a young lady yesterday at Borders, because of the interesting device that she was typing on - it turned out to be an NEC MobilePro900 (?) running WinCE. When I commented on it, she indicated that it was company issued, and that she had a company laptop also. Apparently, the major paperwork gets done on the laptop, but the Handheld PC gets used when demoing to doctors, etc (she was with a pharmaceutical company), and because it could capture signatures on its touch screen. Of course, she had the required cell phone too. In my mind, she was carrying at least one too many devices here, and could replace the laptop and HPC with a Tablet PC (convertible), or replace the HPC and cellphone with an O2-type device - either way, it seemed to me that she was weighed down by technology. I don't think that she was in a position to move down to one device, though, although I suppose an O2 phone with keyboard could possibly make the leap.

So what if the pda had an expandable screen; maybe something that unfolds or unrolls from the device, or perhaps a separate device that size of a pad of paper or so with an integral stand that would unfold to sit on a table top, and get driven wirelessly from the O2 pda/phone? That might get her down to one device, with much less weight and associated crap to carry, yet still possibly fit all her business needs.

Okay, I'm rambling.........lots of people have pointed out in the past that everyone has different needs, and that is why having lots of choices in the marketplace is a good thing.....but I also think that could support the "central core" with numerous peripherals concept - you could customize your unit with the peripherals that make sense to you, and they would all work seamlessly together. So does that fit the "convergence" concept?

xoiph
07-19-2003, 10:09 PM
I like the idea of a modular computer, like the OQO Ultrapersonal Computer (http://www.oqo.com). Imagine a PDA sized computer running Windows XP that could be docked to a desktop or even a laptop "shell." A computer like the OQO is small enough to carry anywhere, and could be used to dock at work, home, or even be used as a stand-alone computer :way to go:

encece
07-19-2003, 10:45 PM
or perhaps a separate device that size of a pad of paper or so with an integral stand that would unfold to sit on a table top, and get driven wirelessly from the O2 pda/phone? That might get her down to one device, with much less weight and associated crap to carry, yet still possibly fit all her business needs.

SPG....you can take it from there :D

encece
07-19-2003, 11:20 PM
As for making the device... first step would be wait about 5 years for the hardware to be able to fit in a small device like that. :-) Then after that... start making some prototypes. Got any engineering tricks up you sleeve?

No...I'm afraid I'm pretty dumb without ANY talents in that arena! :(
But, with my packaging design background...I could make one out of corrugated cardboard for ya! :D

spg
07-21-2003, 08:40 PM
or perhaps a separate device that size of a pad of paper or so with an integral stand that would unfold to sit on a table top, and get driven wirelessly from the O2 pda/phone? That might get her down to one device, with much less weight and associated crap to carry, yet still possibly fit all her business needs.

SPG....you can take it from there :D
Well, a Tablet PC would probably fit in well there except that a Tablet PC contains the full processing power in it instead of being driven from an O2 phone like that. I think she could narrow down to two devices easily with a Tablet PC though... the size is not as small as the HPC devices, but they are plenty small for carrying around for demos like that. And then just connect it to her cell phone to connect to the internet. Plus she wouldn't have to use the keyboard, she could walk around and be writing her notes in her own handwriting and it can easily capture those electronic signatures. Perfect! :)

spg
07-21-2003, 08:41 PM

No...I'm afraid I'm pretty dumb without ANY talents in that arena! :(
But, with my packaging design background...I could make one out of corrugated cardboard for ya! :D
Hey... tht might work. A cardboard prototype before making it to the actual plastic/metal design! :D