View Full Version : PPCW IMATE questions

aspen20
07-15-2003, 01:12 AM
I still am having difficulty in connecting to the internet. I have had the large "G" in the box indicating that gprs was available but now its gone. The little "G" is there when trying to get my mail or get on the internet. Seems kind of buggy and have already done one hard reset. I also seem to be getting dust under the screen as well. Any ideas are appreciated!
Brandon

I am on the t-mobile network in the USA

RDC
07-15-2003, 01:41 AM
Where are you in the US? I've heard that people with the Smartphone (both canary and tanager) have problems connecting to GPRS - sometimes only connecting 1 out of every 2 times.

I myself have no problems in Southern California.

Please forgive the obviousness of these questions, but are you signed up for GPRS on T-Mobile? Did you configure your phone through the supplied desktop software? Have you called T-Mobile tech for help?

They may not support the i-mate, but once you open the internet settings on your phone they should still provide all the necessary GPRS settings for you.

aspen20
07-15-2003, 01:57 AM
I am in Tucson Arizona. I am definitly signed up as i also have a t-mobile pocket pc with unlimited gprs and works flawlessly. I just swaped sims to make double sure. I also read the microsoft forums and there is a t mobile settings post there that worked perfect yesterday but not today. I really want it to work but it just seems buggy.I really dont feel like i have a device i can take anyware and use without some frustration. I do realize that being an early adopter and using someone else's phone on there network is my concern and not there's.
Appreciate your post!!!
Brandon

Chronos
07-15-2003, 03:07 PM
I live in the DC area and had similar issues during the first two weeks of ownership. I'd connect via GPRS on my PPCPE, then swap the SIM to my Tanager and wouldn't be able to connect. It was so frustrating.

Yet now I don't have those issues. I don't know if T-Mobile made adjustments to their GPRS service in my area, but suddenly I have no problems obtaining a GPRS connection with the Tanager! I still think it isn't as sensitive as my T-Mobile, but it certainly connects better now.

Come to think of it, it worked better after I did a hard reset about 10 days into ownership.

ppcsurfr
07-15-2003, 07:22 PM
Okay guys, let's see if any of yor problems can be solved by this...

1. Check your settings for your Data Connections... you can find this in Programs>Settings>Data Connections. In Internet connection make sure that you are using your setting for Internet GPRS.

2. You can check this by hitting Menu and Edit Connections. Go to GPRS Connections and check if you have the necessary settings for GPRS Internet. This is where you will find your Internet over GPRS APN and MMS over GPRS APN and WAP over GPRS APN.

3. Try it again but make sure that you are using the correct setting this time. Try not to set it to Automatic as it sometimes doesn't work.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

aspen20
07-15-2003, 09:24 PM
I will try again tonight as i took my trusty tmobile pocket pc with me to work today. I was reading a microsoft forum and read the tmobile settings that someone posted and they listed that you should set it to automatic. I was able to get the "G" in the square when i did that but lost it the next day. I will try it your way.
Appreciate everyones posts as this is really the only way to get through something so new without throwing it against the wall:) Kidding Kidding
Thanks, Brandon

mkrisher
07-16-2003, 04:41 PM
I am having the same problem. I get the G indicator icon, but when I try to establish a connection, it simply dials and never connects. On occasion I'll get an error that the network was unavailable but that is usually when I don't have a strong signal. Apparently it has something to do with T-Mobile's networ and the routing of the network and the way the Smartphones are dialing and identifying themselves.

-- Mike

rbrome
07-16-2003, 10:37 PM
I'm having the same issues. Settings aren't being touched. It will work great for a few days, then not at all for another few days... seems to be pretty random, but it's often days at a time that it either works or doesn't. Very frustrating, to say the least.

pdantic
07-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Wow. This is starting to look like a trend! :lol:

I've had my Tanager for about 6 weeks, but only during the last 3 weeks has it been consistently usable. I couldn't make a GPRS connection at all for a while, then had intermittent connectivity, now it's working great all the time. I'm on the T-Mobile network.

The change from unusable to fully functional was SO abrupt that I wonder if T-Mobile DID make some changes to their network in my area (Denver). Perhaps they're fixing their network in anticipation of a mass rollout of Smartphones?

Chronos
07-31-2003, 02:16 PM
Steve,

It is odd... exactly like my experience. Now my Tanager's connection rate via GPRS rivals that of my old PPCPE! Strange, indeed. Makes on ponder what could be the cause... not that I'm complaining! ;)

Did anyone else perform a hard reset? It may be coincidence, but I swear my connectivity rates increased after I did a hard reset. :?:

aceswerling
08-16-2003, 06:35 PM
I've been using my Tanager on T-Mobile's data network all over the country. I've also found very inconsistent behavior. I'll be able to make a data connection at some time and 5 minutes later the phone will just timeout. I haven't found any rhyme or reason to the trouble.

For example, data services work really well in Manhattan but are terrible at the Newark airport. I've had about 50% success in central New Jersey. Wisconsin works pretty well but St Louis is bad. It's really bad where I live in South Florida. Parts of Orlando are OK but other parts are bad.

The only thing I've noticed is that waiting a couple minutes after you turn on the phone helps ensure consistent data connections.

Personally, I think a big part of this is T-Mobile's network. I have friends with PPC phones who have the same complaint on T-Mobile. Friends with the same phone on AT&T's network have much fewer problems. It seems like the Sprint 1xRTT network might be the best out there.