View Full Version : Infosync Reviews the SPV e100

Eric Lin
07-12-2003, 12:32 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/3792.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/3792.html</a><br /><br /></div>With the launch of the e100 this week, everyone's adding their two cents. Infosync weighs in on the new Orange Smartphone...<br /><br />"The recently-announced SPV E100 from Orange is a close brother to the original SPV. The older sibling was released some nine months ago on the Orange network in Europe, and with this hardware update the family is making inroads world-wide. The basic Tanager reference design is to be found behind a range of handsets, of which the E100 is one. <br /><br />Although identical in chassis to the original SPV, the E100 boasts a considerably redesigned exterior. Having been regular SPV users for some time, we have come to quite like the design despite certain flaws. The silver-and-grey exterior was quite classy, and the buttons, although small, provided precision for quick texting. The D-pad, with its separate action button, was a particular favourite of ours too."<br /><br />The reviewer (Anthony Newman) likes the new screen better and the fact that now it comes with the Elekson keyboard in addition to all the other swag, but otherwise he doesn't see much improvement. Infosync, being a fairly OS-neutral place is comparing the e100 to other smartphones, not just to other MS Smartphones. (capital S, see?) As such they lament the lack of bluetooth, the short battery life, and some of the software's downfalls.<br /><br />While they don't gush about the e100's features, they don't dump on it either, giving it credit as a respectable effort. They admit it's good, but not everything they had hoped for.

ShivShanks
07-12-2003, 01:08 AM
Somebody please tell me when the SmartPhone is launching in the US? Please please please ... The suspense is killing me ... All indications including the launch of the SPT seems to indicate it, yet hardly a whimper of a rumour anywhere about actually when ... I really don't understand what the great secrecy is all about? And in this day and age I'm amazed that they have actually managed to keep the launch date a secret inspite of all the news websites out there ... Looks like its time to challenge Mad Mike Magee of The Inq if even he can find out the launch date :)

Robert Levy
07-12-2003, 04:25 AM
Somebody please tell me when the SmartPhone is launching in the US? Please please please ... The suspense is killing me ... All indications including the launch of the SPT seems to indicate it, yet hardly a whimper of a rumour anywhere about actually when ... I really don't understand what the great secrecy is all about? And in this day and age I'm amazed that they have actually managed to keep the launch date a secret inspite of all the news websites out there ... Looks like its time to challenge Mad Mike Magee of The Inq if even he can find out the launch date :)

Well it comes down to 2 things...

1) the carriers are really important in this industry - you need them on your side to succeed. carriers are afraid that if word gets out about when these new devices will be released, people will stop making purchases until then. that's not good for the carriers, so anyone with that kind of inside information has to keep quiet.

2) we really *don't* know any more than the rumors (fall 2003)