View Full Version : AT&T Says Shush! to New York Commuters

Robert Levy
07-11-2003, 09:05 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3793.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3793.html</a><br /><br /></div>"In response to a recent survey of American phone users, AT&T wireless will be staging a somewhat unusual stunt this coming week. The survey found that half of US mobile phone users believe that people are generally discourteous while using their handsets in public places, despite few owning up to such behaviour themselves. The service provider has decided to hire faux-grannies to 'shush' at the 'bad' mobile phone users, while rewarding more courteous users with candy and vouchers for accessories. Alongside the grannies will be mimes, demonstrating in a no-doubt hilarious manner the rights and wrongs of phone usage."<br /><br />Does anyone think this will actually be an effective way of winning over customers?

CTSLICK
07-11-2003, 09:09 PM
This is NOT going to go over well. My bet is that one of the mimes gets his/her a$$ kicked within the first week.:lol:

Somebody really needs to reel in the marketing genius who came up with this.

garrans
07-11-2003, 09:15 PM
I agree, but people (me included) do talk loudly on the phone when on a bus. I'll try and be quiet.

When I was in Munich, Germany I was on a city bus while stopped, answered a call at which point the bus driver told me to get off the phone, he wouldn't move with me on the phone.

OrangeWhip
07-11-2003, 09:29 PM
OK, what's with the "faux grannies"? Can't they get real grannies to do this? Wait, they're the ones that are going to get shushed. ;)

David McNamee
07-11-2003, 09:49 PM
When I was in Munich, Germany I was on a city bus while stopped, answered a call at which point the bus driver told me to get off the phone, he wouldn't move with me on the phone.

I had that same sort of experience a few weeks ago at Kennedy Space Center. I was riding in one of the tour buses, and the driver stopped her spiel because a lady answered her cell phone. She definitely got her point across!

bbarker
07-11-2003, 09:55 PM
I had that same sort of experience a few weeks ago at Kennedy Space Center. I was riding in one of the tour buses, and the driver stopped her spiel because a lady answered her cell phone. She definitely got her point across!
That's worse than simply speaking loudly on a phone in a public place. I can't believe how many people will answer a cell phone when they're involved in a meeting, a class or a performance. Then they proceed to hold their conversation in normal voice as though they're suddenly alone in the room. And dirty looks have no effect; they're oblivious to what's around them.

gcherian
07-12-2003, 12:31 AM
Are you snooping around my office too..... but that behaviour has to do with absolute lack of common sense too... if only we had grannies injecting them at street corners.....

Janak Parekh
07-12-2003, 07:53 AM
That's worse than simply speaking loudly on a phone in a public place. I can't believe how many people will answer a cell phone when they're involved in a meeting, a class or a performance. Then they proceed to hold their conversation in normal voice as though they're suddenly alone in the room. And dirty looks have no effect; they're oblivious to what's around them.
Indeed. I was teaching a class in the fall of 2001 in New York, when someone's phone rang. He sat there and picked it up, and started having a conversation 8O

I sort of stood there, crossed my arms, and started smiling, then grinning. The remaining 27 kids in the class were also pretty flabbergasted. I was about to back there or call his attention, but he finally got the hint and got up and out. Geez!

--janak

Kati Compton
07-12-2003, 07:03 PM
I sort of stood there, crossed my arms, and started smiling, then grinning. The remaining 27 kids in the class were also pretty flabbergasted. I was about to back there or call his attention, but he finally got the hint and got up and out. Geez!
I think you need to work on a more evil grin that might work faster...

Janak Parekh
07-12-2003, 07:56 PM
I think you need to work on a more evil grin that might work faster...
I might have to work on an evil grin, period. Right now, I look very friendly when I'm grinning. I think. We'll see how the skill develops -- I'll be teaching this fall.

--janak

spg
07-12-2003, 08:07 PM
I certainly agree that this is a problem... amazing how many times people will answer their phone and act oblivious to the world around them. I do NOT think that AT&T's method of handling it will go over well at all, not a good decision on their part. Of course, that is just my opinion... who knows, alot of people will do anything to get free stuff.