View Full Version : How many email accounts do you use?

Mike Temporale
07-10-2003, 01:28 PM
I see a lot of posts about multiple email accounts (in both the PPC and now in the SmartPhone worlds). So, I have to ask:

How many different email accounts do you use on a regular basis?

Mike Temporale
07-10-2003, 01:37 PM
I'll go first!

I use 10 different email accounts. (Thanks god for rules in Outlook!) I'm working on removing one of these, but the rest are used daily.

I have one for personal - which nobody expect my close personal friends and family have access to. Another for my clients, a postmaster account for all of my domains, one for ebay/paypal, one for forums, one for hotmail/msn/mobile sms, another hotmail (which I'm working on removing), one specifically for etrade, and finally, my current client has me using their email system.

eWallet has really made my life easier because I have way too many passwords.

David McNamee
07-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Let's see, I've got...

- Primary work address
- Client email
- Primary personal (e-commerce, newsletters, eBay)
- Private personal address known by about 5 people
- Forum posting account aliased by another address
- A requisite Hotmail account to use with Messenger

I also have a couple of other addresses that get stuff about once a month or so.

Eric Lin
07-10-2003, 10:20 PM
even though i have more email addresses than i could possibly count, i only answered 2. tons of the email addresses i have are given to me by service providers or companies i do work for, but i literally NEVER check these accounts. i've managed to get everyone on the same page that i have 1 personal address and one work address. now if only inbox on the smartphone could deal with both. i choose to only sync my personal mail to my phone since that's the address i care about most when i'm away from my computer.

encece
07-11-2003, 07:18 PM
I have one personal and one work email. My work email is redirected to my personal email and I have TMobile alert me of incoming mail to my personal account (which now is all of my mail) via SMS. (400 to 800 total per month). I can then replicate all of my mail to my phone or my home Outlook.

Is it a good idea to have a PRIVATE email address? Or one for ebay? Or one for forums and subscriptions?

Other than spam...why the seperation? Isn't one or two accounts just easier?

Mike Temporale
07-12-2003, 02:08 AM
Is it a good idea to have a PRIVATE email address? Or one for ebay? Or one for forums and subscriptions?

Other than spam...why the seperation? Isn't one or two accounts just easier?

Spam is a big factor, if one address gets captured by the spammers, you can easily move off it.

I have seperated my personal from work so when I am on vacation, I won't see work stuff unless I want to. I also don't like giving customers a direct line into my life. I don't email or call them at home, so why should they do the same to me? Also, if I decide to switch jobs or "get a real job" and give up consulting, I can easily redirect emails from my old clients to someone else, or to the trash bin.

I guess it's just a control thing. :)

spg
07-12-2003, 09:40 PM
I have 3 accounts I use on a regular basis... as well as about 3 others that don't get used much. I've got an account for my web-site, which also serves as my main account. I also get e-mail at my blog's address, as well as one other personal account. Then the other 4 include an account on my family's site, hotmail, and yahoo,.

Mike Temporale
07-13-2003, 03:30 AM
Wow !! Out of the 12 votes cast so far, not one person has say they use only 1 email account.

So why does Microsoft seem to think that they should only have 1 email account on the smartphone? This seems very short-sited.