View Full Version : ROM Updates

Chronos
07-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Just wondering if you've seen any sites a la XDA-Developers.com which are working on ROM images for the SPV/SPVx smartphones. Could be a great idea- customizing a ROM image to optimize GPRS connections, load apps into ROM, etc.

ppcsurfr
07-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Nope. Not yet... an if they did, I really wouldn't even try it with my unit first... ( :twisted: ) I'd let someone try it first.

But seriously, DO NOT in any case use a ROM update designed for another carrier on your beloved Smartphone...

You can end up having a Smartphone that only works in a country and a carrier half way across the globe. 8O

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Chronos
07-10-2003, 05:53 PM
I posted a similar question over at www.xda-developers.com and here are snippets of the responses so far:

"We all are waiting for the new rom based like ppc2003 on the .net framework
it is a bit harder to hack the SPV ROM because it is mainly based on the PPC framework, but we have nearly no documentations about the specificities and modifications applied to SPV."

"We've seen that all Windows CE-like ROMs are very similar in structure to the XDAs ROM. However, we presently have little time to extend our work to other devices: we're already spendng quite a bit too much time on this hobby as it is.

Is the SPV still buggy as hell, or have they improved it?"

"for all stuffs concerning SPV have a look at www.modaco.com, and our french site www.smartphony.org

There is not much evolution on smartphone OS since ROM 1.45"

Argh.

I was interested in a generic ROM update a al the XDA-Developers special edition ROM 1.1 or 1.2 for the XDA twins.

Maybe if enough of us post a similar request to XDA-Devs they'll consider helping us out? Whaddya think?

ppcsurfr
07-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Well, I think it's more economical to just wait for WM2003 for Smartphone...

It's just around the corner. (So they say)

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Chronos
07-11-2003, 09:05 PM
I agree, but it isn't known exactly which carriers will release a version of 2k3...

gt_boy
07-14-2003, 06:54 PM
what about the update from SMART Philippines..

any comments?

ppcsurfr
07-14-2003, 09:16 PM
what about the update from SMART Philippines..

any comments?

If you are not a SMART Communications Subscriber... don't ever upgrade yor phone to the SMART ROM 1.5.0.28 version... It will SIM-lock your phone to SMART's network.

But for those who are curious... the menus run faster and the camera refreshes better too. The missing first letter in long messages received from Nokia phones is fixed and the ActionEngine apps have been updated. They've also fixed som bugs in the STK(SIM Tool Kit) or SAT(SIM Application Toolkit)

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo