View Full Version : How to do a Hard Reset on an HTC smartphone

ppcsurfr
07-08-2003, 09:02 AM
1. Power off unit
2. Remove MMC/SD Card or Dummy card.
3. Press Record Button while pressing Power button to switch on.
4. On the white screen, press the action button of the Joystick.
5. Choose Erase IPSM.

Why remove the card? Because with a dummy card in it, the phone gets fooled into believeing that there is an SD card in it and tries to read it...

And, if there is an SD card in the unit, more options appear other than just erase IPSM...

this I think is a safer process.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

aspen20
07-13-2003, 03:10 PM
Hello, when i try this i get
press any key to enter bootloader and then there are three colors and it
says "canary" three times
I want to do a hard reset because i cannot get the gprs working

ppcsurfr
07-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Press the action button/joystick before you get the Canary Bootloader screen.

It turns white before you see the three color screen. It is at this point when it turns white that you have to press the joystick.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

aspen20
07-13-2003, 03:38 PM
thanks for the fast reply.
It worked. thanks alot!!!

ppcsurfr
07-13-2003, 03:49 PM
You're welcome!

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

ditch_azeroth
04-19-2006, 09:44 AM
a fellow fagevian... ^_^

yeah, it takes a while to get the hard reset thing... but definitely works ^_^

fabioluz
05-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I found interesting this discussion because my keyboard is locked and by doing the "record button and power on" process I could get the screen with these options:
(1) debug module throught UART
(2) Jump to DM

I already tried some options but the thing is: always when I turn on normally the phone the keyboard is locked.

Please, could you help me with any information on how to unlock this? How to reset the phone?

Thanks,
Fabio

aximilation
07-16-2006, 10:58 PM
See that's interesting, HTC Makes the SP5m (sda/2125) which requires that you hold down the L/R soft buttons and press power, followed by Zero on the following black screen...if that helps anyone else. What models is this other method referring to?

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 02:06 AM
You can also hard reset the device by running "Clear Storage" app found in the accessories folder. It's quick and easy and no funny key press'ing. ;)

Jerry Raia
07-17-2006, 04:46 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think the 5600 had that utility, you had to do the hand gymnastics.

aximilation
07-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Are you sure the clear storage is the same? I thought it cleared the device and maybe programs, I wouldn't think it would be the same as hard resetting, aka factory defaults. Clear storage is when the phone is running, my method was like a format. I could be wrong though...I just thought clearing the storage would possibly leave registry entries, custom shortcutted buttons, etc.
...at least that's my opinion.

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think the 5600 had that utility, you had to do the hand gymnastics.

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's there. Haven't looked in a while, but I recall doing it from time to time. :D

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Are you sure the clear storage is the same? I thought it cleared the device and maybe programs, I wouldn't think it would be the same as hard resetting, aka factory defaults. Clear storage is when the phone is running, my method was like a format. I could be wrong though...I just thought clearing the storage would possibly leave registry entries, custom shortcutted buttons, etc.
...at least that's my opinion.

Yeah, the name is very missleading. If you run the application it tells you that it will wipe your phone. And you have a chance to cancel. I've used it a number of times. 8)

aximilation
07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Cool then. I guess it wouldn't have helped me though, I had to do it because I got my phone and it had a phone lock on it. :-(
I guess the guy I stole it from thought he could keep me out....
jk, someone on ebay just forgot. Really, I have the boxes and everything.....

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Fair enough. It's only good if you can access the phone. :)