View Full Version : Smart Phone on Verizon

Jerry Raia
07-08-2003, 02:13 AM
Anyone who has any info on Verizon coming up with a real Smartphone model. It seems not many, if any CDMA systems have them yet. Am I wrong about this?

Janak Parekh
07-08-2003, 02:29 AM
The Samsung SCH-i600 (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=186) is the one to watch for. Let's hope it comes! :) I know a lot of people who would go for a flip device like this.

--janak

Jerry Raia
07-08-2003, 02:33 AM
Ohhhh thats a thing of beauty there. I want it NOW.
:twisted:

Thanks for the info.

Robert Levy
07-08-2003, 02:35 AM
a lot of people who would go for a flip device like this.

Haha! Nice pun there 8)

encece
07-08-2003, 03:20 AM
I switched to Verizon for a week because I thought I wanted to go back to a PPC-PE Samsung i700 instead of my smartphone.

Long story short...the PPC wast what I thought it was, I brought it back and was going to wait for the i600 smartphone as Verizon has the BEST reception and coverage around.

But Verizon is dragging their feet on this for some time now and it seems that they are more interested in their coverage and business usage than expanding their phone selections.

So back to T-Mobile and the SPV for me.

The i600 looks nice, but no options for a camera yet.

A CDMA smartphone under Verizon would be GREAT but then again...there is so much more flexibility with GSM phones...even if the coverage isn't that great in the US yet...but it's getting better (I hope).

Jerry Raia
07-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Coverage is my #1 priority which is why I am with them. I spoke to them last week and was told that coverage is thier first priority too. One reason thaey have been slow to roll out new stuff too quick. I hope they come out with the SmartPhone soon.

ppcsurfr
07-08-2003, 08:36 AM
Hmmm. now I wonder... when will they have a Sattelite Smartphone???

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Jerry Raia
07-09-2003, 07:47 AM
One day at a time. Please :)

thetruth
07-11-2003, 12:05 AM
I've always heard Verizon provides the best service, and to date, I've never had a problem with them(I've had AirTouch/Verizon for the last 5 years). Recently some in-laws came to visit me here in the states, all toting their SPV's which made me infinitely jealous. Is Verizon's service still worthy of my business, or have the GSM networks caught up? I live in Seattle and have heard many complaints about Sprint, and especially T-Mobile. Any thoughts? If services are comparable, I'm going where the hardware is...

-Brent

encece
07-11-2003, 12:36 AM
I travel a good deal on the east coast....from Conneticut to North Carolina and as far west as Cincinnati and sometime Chicago.

Verizon's coverage wins hands down over T-Mobile's which is spotty and inconsistent. Most times I'm fine....but it's soooo easy to lose a signal. Especially in my house...I have to go outside or near a window to be able to speak on the phone. And I'm in a full coverage area.

But GSM wins hands down in the hardware department. Verizon can't focus on more than one thing at time. To their credit...they have EXCELLENT coverage and service. So why can't they provide NICE phones to work with that service? (smartphone's in particular!)

WHY! WHY! WHY!
*runs away crying*

Jerry Raia
07-11-2003, 05:17 AM
The Samsung SCH-i600 (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=186) is the one to watch for. Let's hope it comes! :) I know a lot of people who would go for a flip device like this.

--janak

Well maybe one is on the way lets hope. :D

volwrath
07-11-2003, 09:34 PM
In TN the best provider as far as coverage goes is indeed Verizon. Their billing system is crap though. I pay bills over the internet, and 4 times Verizon has not correctly paid my bills. Also their data cost needs revamped ala Sprint,TMobile.

As far as coverage I would rate the providers as follows:

1. Vz
2. Cingular
3. Sprint
----
4. TMobile along with the rest

I took Cingular to HiltonHead,SC and it was useless down there.

thetruth
07-12-2003, 12:19 AM
That's funny. I grew up in TN b4 leaving for the Seattle area for college. Every time I'm home I have excellent coverage w/ verizon. Of course, I will testify that their billing system blows. I paid my bill online 8 days ago and it just posted 2day. They are backwards in all departments(most unfortunately hardware) except coverage. Question: Can CDMA penetrate buildings better than GSM? Can ne1 point me to a place where I can read up on detailed differences between the 2 technologies...I've looked around but haven't found anything that goes into much detail.

-brent

Skitals
07-12-2003, 04:16 AM
Why are there better phones for GSM? Because of the SIM card! If you have a gsm service provider, you can put your sim card in any damn gsm phone/card/device you want. That means you can make a phone, and sell it retail without having to meet a particular carriers specs, or having to give exclusive rights to the carrier. CDMA providers test and approve every phone on their network. You can only use the phones they offer. This means you cant just make a CDMA phone and sell it retail without getting the carrier involved.

If you were limited to the GSM phones on the carriers sites and what they have in their stores, you would be peeved too.

I have verizon. Best carrier hands down around here. Yes, the phone selection sucks. That samsung smartphone would be perfect... if it had bluetooth. I would be happy with ANY verizon phone that has bluetooth.

encece
07-12-2003, 04:40 AM
I know they dont make them anymore but the Motorola Timeport 270c has a bluetooth adapter (different battery cover pack) that they used to sell. I had one in a box and gave it to a friend who was on verizon. They activated it for him even though they dont sell it anymore. You may be able to find one somewhere for pretty cheap.

A couple of people in work still have them and are using them with BT headsets.

Skitals
07-12-2003, 06:03 AM
Anyone have experience with the timeport phone + bt module in use with a bluetooth pocket pc? I am looking to get online (ie, email, and aim). This phone doesnt support the express network (1x... 144k) though, right? Thats a major drawback.

encece
07-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Yes....it works fine with the exception that you can only use the Quick2net service (Dial-Up at 14.4...which is actually like 9600).

I'm 99% sure you cant use EN on that phone.

Skitals
07-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Quick2net... do i have unlimited access? just pay for minutes? so if i have unlimited nights & weekends I can use it as much as I want during those times?

My phone currently has the internet via wap or whatever. I dont know how it connects, or how it is charged because I never use it.

thetruth
07-12-2003, 07:44 AM
One other thing that comes to mind within the technology debate is that Verizon is slowly moving to digital-only phones. A bunch of people have been complaining about losing service with their newer, digital-only phones(a thread on howardforums about the VX6000 v VX4400 comes to mind) and wishing they had their older digital+analog phones for travelling. I'm still trying to quantify how important it is for me to have access to Verizon's analog network, or, having a sweet handset. I still think service has to come first...but part of me wants to switch and put a sheek device in my hand.

encece
07-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Quick2net... do i have unlimited access? just pay for minutes? so if i have unlimited nights & weekends I can use it as much as I want during those times?

My phone currently has the internet via wap or whatever. I dont know how it connects, or how it is charged because I never use it.

Quick2Net is Verizon's dialup CSD service, using your voice minutes. I hate WAP and never use it either except for Weather and maybe some news.

For the record...
I was just offering the 270c as an alternative for a BT enabled phone that you may be able to get for a cheap price. Technically....it's already an old phone and doesn't compare to the Smartphone. But you can read email on it if you had to, I believe. I dont think you're going to get the internet on in in anyway other than WAP sites.

alenzini
07-12-2003, 07:24 PM

--janak

Bummer, no analog. Take a look at Verizon's digital only coverage, it makes the GSM vs CDMA choice more difficult.

Andy