View Full Version : Cheese

Robert Levy
07-01-2003, 12:37 AM
What's your favorite kind of cheese? Mine is provolone.

Jason Dunn
07-01-2003, 01:00 AM
Mmm. Cheese. I used to have a dairy intolerance and thus, avoided cheesy for 15+ years. Now I can eat dairy (go figure!?) and I love my cheese! I really like Mini Babybel cheese...it's wrapped in this fun wax stuff and tastes great! :mrgreen:

Chronos
07-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Depends upon the mood, the wine, and the other foods. For a great afternoon I suggest a chilled bottle of Chardonnay (I'm a Napaholic- grew up in the area, so yes I'm biased), a loaf of warm sourdough bread, and a fresh Sonoma Jack garlic cheese. On a sunny day, with a beautiful partner, life can't get much better. :P

Kati Compton
07-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Hmm. I like different cheeses for different purposes. I prefer Colby for a general-purpose cheese. I like baked brie quite a bit for occasions... And I recently discovered that Emmental and tomato on a baguette is very tasty. Oh, and melted Lorraine Swiss on Triscuits.

pdantic
07-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Mmmmmm....

Y'got me drooling here (I must be hungry)

How about a nice fondue made from Gruyere and Emmental?

As a lacto-ovo vegetarian I *LOVE* cheese, so any type or flavor of cheese makes me happy. But for some reason I don't like really powerful blue cheeses like a Stilton, Maytag Blue or Gorgonzola. :pukeface:

A nice little Swiss on a sandwich is always nice andI love eating sharp cheddars. Yum! :way to go:

Jason Dunn
07-05-2003, 05:27 AM
I like baked brie quite a bit for occasions...

My mother-in-law makes this amazing brie/jam combo that is utterly delicious... :D Mmm. I'm now hungry! Off to find some cheese...

Kati Compton
07-06-2003, 04:49 AM
I think tomorrow I'm going to make a tomato/mozzarella/basil salad.... Mmmmm

ppcsurfr
07-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Hmmm. Yummy...

Anone here tried the Filipino Goat cheese (Kesong Puti) fried until the edges turn brown?

This is really great.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

greenmozart
07-08-2003, 01:30 AM
My favorite has to be a nice aromatic camembert or strong limberger. Once I got over the smell I couldn't resist the taste!

ctmagnus
07-08-2003, 02:10 AM
I like the smoked cheeses. And the Jacks. Don't like moldy stuff. Or squishy.

But I developed an affinity for the processed stuff. My cat used to need a pill from time to time but he would always eat around it in his food. So I started giving it to him in a balled up cheese slice. Of course I had to finish the slice.

Janak Parekh
07-08-2003, 02:28 AM
As a lacto-ovo vegetarian I *LOVE* cheese
Ooh! Another one of these exists! :lol:

Agreed totally re cheese addiction. However, I have to say good ol' cheddar is still my favorite.

--janak

Kati Compton
07-08-2003, 03:17 AM
But I developed an affinity for the processed stuff. My cat used to need a pill from time to time but he would always eat around it in his food. So I started giving it to him in a balled up cheese slice. Of course I had to finish the slice.
I like the orange-cheese-like-spread-in-a-ball-covered-in-nuts that comes out at parties...

And I will confess to using cheese powder on popcorn - I believe it's essentially the same stuff as in the macaroni & cheese (or Kraft Dinner for the Canadians out there) boxes, but it comes in a shaker.

Guilty pleasures...

David McNamee
07-08-2003, 05:18 AM
The kind that gets spelled with a 'z' in the name... Cheez Whiz, Cheez Doodlez... :D

ppcsurfr
07-08-2003, 09:12 AM
I was abot to go for Cheez Whiz!

You beat me to it...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

JonnoB
07-08-2003, 09:50 AM
In my home, we eat all kinds of cheese... and then my kids complain about the cutting of cheese that I do afterward. :lol:

encece
07-10-2003, 04:28 AM
I like Fromun***.....nahhh forget it. That's an old one from 8th grade!

Theres a cheese called fontina thats really good. I never see it unless I go to a certain cheese shop in the city.

I only had it once or twice...but I remember eating a whole dish of it at a party one time...but I may have been really drunk at the time as well. (It may not even had been cheese...maybe that's just what they told me! 8O ).

Since I have a 3yo now....I'm pretty much limited to American Cheese and cheese sticks.

But every once in a while I break out the sharp provolone and pepperoni for a little party! Woooo Hoooo! :D

Kati Compton
07-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Asiago is quite nice. Drives my cat nuts - she loves the smell, but I won't let her have any.

ctmagnus
07-11-2003, 01:24 AM
I like asiago also. But there are a few common cheeses that you can't get in this town, asiago being one of them. Monterey Jack is very problematic here. Quite often, you go into one of the (two) grocery stores and look at a piece of cheese labelled Monterey Jack but is nowhere near what Monterey Jack really is (at least what I know Monterey Jack to be.)

encece
07-11-2003, 01:59 AM
I guess I never really had good MJ eith 'cause every time I get it it just tastes like a better American Cheese.

spg
07-12-2003, 09:35 PM
Cheese... it is a wonderful thing, except for one tiny detail. I'm alergic to the stuff! :? Interesting thing is that I'm not alergic to dairy (lactose), just cheese. It does make it nice at the Pizza place though... the people who take the order know us so well they have memorized our no-cheese order. :)

ctmagnus
07-13-2003, 03:02 AM
It does make it nice at the Pizza place though... the people who take the order know us so well they have memorized our no-cheese order. :)

'k, how does that work? I've heard of cheeseless pizza, but I've also heard of Sasquatch, UFOs, Loch Ness Monster... To me, cheese is as much a part of pizza as hydrogen is of water. No cheese makes it bruschetta.

Skitals
07-13-2003, 05:42 AM
It does make it nice at the Pizza place though... the people who take the order know us so well they have memorized our no-cheese order. :)

'k, how does that work? I've heard of cheeseless pizza, but I've also heard of Sasquatch, UFOs, Loch Ness Monster... To me, cheese is as much a part of pizza as hydrogen is of water. No cheese makes it bruschetta.

Their is a pizza place that makes all kinda weird "pizza"... like peanutbutter & jelly pizza, etc. Pizza by definition is just an open pie.

But I love all kinds of cheese. Not really fancy cheese, just normal cheese. you can put cheese on anything. fries, nachos, rice, salads, hamburgers, etc.

ctmagnus
07-13-2003, 06:00 AM
Their is a pizza place that makes all kinda weird "pizza"... like peanutbutter & jelly pizza, etc. Pizza by definition is just an open pie.

Interesting. 8)

But I love all kinds of cheese. Not really fancy cheese, just normal cheese. you can put cheese on anything. fries, nachos, rice, salads, hamburgers, etc.

I stick it on a tortilla and microwave it for ~30 seconds. Fold up and enjoy!

But I don't like cheese powder on popcorn. I might try it with real parmesan and/or romano one of these days.

Crackers are good too. Graham crackers w/mozzarrella or provolone or gouda or jarlsberg...

Skitals
07-13-2003, 06:44 AM
This may sound weird, but nachos & cheese & rice is very good. You cant put the cooked rice in the microwave with the nachos & cheese cause it will dry out and not be as good. When you take the nachos out of the microwave put the rice ontop immediately when the cheese is still soft and hopefully it will stick. Any extra rice you can mix with some fresh grated cheese and use the nachos to scoop it up :P

This is what happen when you stay up too late all the time and get hungry in the middle of the night. Another great 3 am snack is ice cream soup. Get a big bowl of ice cream, and pour some low-fat milk in the bowl(only like 1/2 inch of milk). Then top the ice cream like you normally would. chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, chocolate shell, sprinkles, whipped cream, etc. Put chocolate chip cookies in the milk around the outside. Melt some good peanut butter and put it on top. Now put the whole thing in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just enough to make the ice cream really soft. Enjoy!

One night i was out of ice cream, but had cones. I spotted a thing of chocolate ice cream and decided it could replace the ice cream. I filled up the ice cream cone with chocolate cake iciing... it was good but i got sick afterwards.

Now I cant stop talking about food. Im really hungry but I already had ramen noodles and a bag of popcorn in the past hour. I think im gonna go make some ice cream soup.... :D

Hyperluminal
07-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Hmm, cheese. I don't really like mozzarella (is that how it's spelled?), except in really thin slices (ie, not mozzarella sticks). I like American, but don't really have it often- I used to, then I guess I got tired of it. I like Gouda, and Cheddar sometimes (depeneding on the Cheddar). I really like Monterey Jack, but only if it's good. I've had it taste too much like Cheddar, and just be too tough (stale, I guess :) ). But if it's good MJ, I really like it.

BTW, Jason, how did you find out that you weren't dairy intolerant anymore? By accident? ;)

ctmagnus
07-16-2003, 02:19 AM
BTW, Jason, how did you find out that you weren't dairy intolerant anymore? By accident? ;)

Yes, do tell. Did some guy in a robe and a long beard come to you in a dream and say "Let there be cheese!"?

spg
07-16-2003, 03:48 AM

I know, I know... I hear that alot. :) You should try it sometime though, it is really very good. You actually taste the topings instead of tasting mostly cheese (at least that is what my Dad tells me...).

ctmagnus
07-16-2003, 04:38 AM

I know, I know... I hear that alot. :) You should try it sometime though, it is really very good. You actually taste the topings instead of tasting mostly cheese (at least that is what my Dad tells me...).

I wouldn't know this first-hand as I've never been to Italy, but I've heard from people who have that real Italian pizza is kinda lika that, even with cheese.

Skitals
07-24-2003, 06:21 AM

That reminded me of a pizza place around here that has a "big red" which is a pizza with the sauce on TOP of the cheese. Its kinda weird, but it does completely change the taste by switching the layers.

brntcrsp
07-24-2003, 06:35 AM
I like the cheese George Lucas makes, but I would have to say my second favorite is a sharp sharp cheddar.

Kati Compton
07-25-2003, 02:41 AM
That reminded me of a pizza place around here that has a "big red" which is a pizza with the sauce on TOP of the cheese. Its kinda weird, but it does completely change the taste by switching the layers.
Chicago stuffed pizza is like that. But really really thick....

Mmmmmmmm.....

ctmagnus
07-25-2003, 05:28 AM
In Calgary: Spiro's On 17th, the spinach and feta pizza. I still have a slice in the fridge from yesterday and I do believe I'll go enjoy it now. :way to go:

ctmagnus
07-25-2003, 05:31 AM
mmmmmmmm