View Full Version : Looking to make my home backup scenario more reliable

Phillip Dyson
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey team,
As the title says I'm trying to make my backup scenario more reliable.
I have two laptops and another on the way for my daughter.

My current setup:
*Both laptops are running Windows Live Sync (not the new Mesh 2011 yet) to sync with a third desktop (running headless) in the office upstairs.
This desktop is running Mozy online backup.
*I also have a Windows Home Server running backups for both laptops. This seems pretty reliable. Of course its onsite and I've never tried to recover anything.

Complexities with this setup
*The Windows Live Sync setup is precarious at best for my wife's computer. I can't tell you how many times find that its not running or somehow didn't log in properly. I had my wife create a live account on her computer, and my laptop and the desktop are running under mine. I can only imagine this situation being the same on my daughters computer. I suppose I could turn my wife onto the whole Windows Live Essentials eco-system and she would know to maintain the software herself. There are plenty of features that she would really like. But would add the complexity of managing backup versus day to day use.

*Unforturnatly the internet connection and main router is in the living room and the office is connected using a router-bridge running dd-wrt. I've found this connection to be unreliable in the past. I may have fixed that by simplifying the office setup. I tried a powerline network setup, but wasn't able to get it working. Both pieces are still plugged in but to the best of my knowledge there is no throughput.

I wondering if it was just make more sense to have a MozyHome account for each laptop and be done with it. Of course the pricing is a dissatisfyer. I wish they had some kind of family plan for multiple computers.
I also wish I could use MozyHome with my WHS, but thats a dead horse that I'm tired of beating.

Any suggestions on how I could improve this? I'm not opposed to keeping the multipy hop solution, but I need something a bit more reliable (read: brainless) on my wife's laptop. And I'm not opposed to simplicity for mine either.

Thanks in advanced.