View Full Version : HD7 behaving erratically while being charged

humayunl
11-24-2010, 11:44 AM
I have noticed some consistently weird behavior on my HD7. I got the HD7 about 8 days ago. Its a great device. Overall I'm very happy. Works well and is smooth except for this one thing.

I want to see if any one of you have noticed anything similar. Here is what's happening.

When it is being charged, connected to a power outlet (not from the usb port of my laptop), the phone goes crazy i.e. my screen gestures or clicks or even the touches on the capacitative buttons are registered all wrong.

Basically it looks like the interaction with the screen is all wrong so any touch or tap anywhere could be interpreted as a touch or tap anywhere wlse (randomly) on the screen. If i'm using the soft keyboard, pressing a certain letter may result in the wrong letter or backspace or as if i pressed one of the capacitative buttons... anything.

Two things to note are:
- I am not using the HTC supplied USB socket plug and micro USB cable. I am using a usb wall charger and micro usb cable that I bought from mono price. I have used this same monoprice charger/cable to charge my htc desire and a blackberry and never experienced this issue on either device. I can't test the original charger/cable because its in the box and i left the box at home (Chicago) and I am traveling at the moment.

- I am traveling to Asia and am where electricity is at 220V and not the north american 110V. don't know if this should make a difference.

It is charging just fine by the way and as soon as I unplug it, things are back to normal.

Any thoughts on what may be happening?

Sven Johannsen
11-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Just speculation here. Many USB charged devices recognize the difference between USB charging and mains adapter charging by what is seen on the data lines of the USB connector. Some supplied mains power adapters provide a specific voltage on the data lines to provide that clue to the device. Could be the one you are using is not doing that correctly for the HD7, and possibly it is confusing the device about whether it is on mains or PC charge. That could mess with some regulation which could cause some random glitches.

Also could be that the mains power where you are isn't regulated all that well, and the third party charger isn't filtering that out. The charger that came with my HD7 says 100-240V input, 50-60Hz, so you could just use that to see if there is a difference. You may just need an adapter, not a voltage converter/transformer

humayunl
11-25-2010, 06:57 AM
Just speculation here. Many USB charged devices recognize the difference between USB charging and mains adapter charging by what is seen on the data lines of the USB connector. Some supplied mains power adapters provide a specific voltage on the data lines to provide that clue to the device. Could be the one you are using is not doing that correctly for the HD7, and possibly it is confusing the device about whether it is on mains or PC charge. That could mess with some regulation which could cause some random glitches.

Also could be that the mains power where you are isn't regulated all that well, and the third party charger isn't filtering that out. The charger that came with my HD7 says 100-240V input, 50-60Hz, so you could just use that to see if there is a difference. You may just need an adapter, not a voltage converter/transformer

I'll try this out. I just wanted to make sure that this charging isn't damaging the device in any way.

Sven Johannsen
11-26-2010, 03:47 AM
I'll try this out. I just wanted to make sure that this charging isn't damaging the device in any way.
Well, I would be a bit concerned about the erratic charging you are seeing. It is not behaving as it should, and ramafications of that would be hard to predict. If it doesn't do that with the stock charger but does with the third party one, I personally wouldn't use the 3rd party one. I was more speculating on why it might be happening, rather than the goodness of it.