View Full Version : How Much Storage Do You Need in your Windows Phone 7?

Jason Dunn
11-16-2010, 06:00 PM
<p>My <a href="http://www.windowsphonethoughts.com/news/show/101140/how-important-is-a-removable-storage-card-to-you.html" target="_blank">last survey</a> seemed to court some controversy because people wanted it to ask the question of <em>why </em>someone needed removable storage; I simply wanted to know if people basically bought a storage card and left it in the phone for long periods of time - taking it out only to upgrade to a bigger card - or if they needed to take it out regularly to achieve certain functionality/scenarios. This question is similarly focused: if you're planning on buying a Windows Phone 7, how much storage do you need/want in your phone?</p><p><script src="http://static.polldaddy.com/p/4093650.js" type="text/javascript"></script></p>

Lee Yuan Sheng
11-16-2010, 06:09 PM
You know, we won't be in this mess if we have proper PANs by now...

paschott
11-16-2010, 06:12 PM
I bought the Focus specifically because of the expandable storage, knowing pretty much all of the shortcomings that the use of microSD entailed (except that some cards just flat out don't work - the details behind that surprised me somewhat). I have a lot of media that I like to just keep handy and 8GB isn't nearly enough. If I really start using this device for video and pictures, then I'm going to need enough storage to take my music (and OTR shows) with me as well as apps/games and pics/videos. 8 GB isn't nearly enough for that and 16 kind of cuts it close. The expansion helps a bunch once we get details on the correct cards to buy. I'll probably even replace my current 16GB card with an "approved" card once the details are finalized and confirmed working.

I'm good at the moment, but could definitely use more storage than the defaults right now.

benjimen
11-16-2010, 06:28 PM
64gb and a sleek device would make it very difficult for me not to extend my contract with a WP7 device ;)

Personally, I'd rather the faster RAM be onboard, not on a card...

Fritzly
11-16-2010, 07:51 PM
64gb and a sleek device would make it very difficult for me not to extend my contract with a WP7 device ;)

Personally, I'd rather the faster RAM be onboard, not on a card...

The problem is that MS tried to emulate the Apple concept (No expandable storage/ Apps available only through us...) in a cheap way therefore they used SD cards.

BobbyCannon
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I just wanted to remind everyone that you need to yell at the manufactures of the devices and not Microsoft for this lack of memory issue. Microsoft stated a minimum of 8g. They didn't tell them to only put 8g.

If the Samsung focus would have came out with 32g (or an epic 64g) of memory it would be the most epic device on the market. Nothing would be able to touch it.

The screen is incredible.

Jason Dunn
11-16-2010, 09:33 PM
I just wanted to remind everyone that you need to yell at the manufactures of the devices and not Microsoft for this lack of memory issue. Microsoft stated a minimum of 8g. They didn't tell them to only put 8g.

Excellent point - this is absolutely not on Microsoft, it's all on the OEMs. All the ire at the small memory sizes should be directed at HTC, Samsung, etc.

Fritzly
11-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Excellent point - this is absolutely not on Microsoft, it's all on the OEMs. All the ire at the small memory sizes should be directed at HTC, Samsung, etc.

Well, yes and not: considering that MS specified all the details for the phone, including the non removable storage requirement, they could, and considering the blunder that Vista minimum specs created should, have set the storage bar higher.
Again it is not flash memory so the added costs should not be exorbitant.

Jason Dunn
11-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Well, yes and not: considering that MS specified all the details for the phone, including the non removable storage requirement, they could, and considering the blunder that Vista minimum specs created should, have set the storage bar higher. Again it is not flash memory so the added costs should not be exorbitant.

Come now, surely you can't believe that EVERYONE needs a phone with 16 GB of storage? 8 GB is just fine for some people, and by setting the minimum at 16 GB, Microsoft would have made the phones more expensive for the end customer. I think 8 GB minimum is just fine; what I don't think is fine is how HTC, Samsung, and the other OEMs didn't release 16 GB and 32 GB versions of their phones beyond the 8 GB versions...

PeterKremzar
11-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Come now, surely you can't believe that EVERYONE needs a phone with 16 GB of storage? 8 GB is just fine for some people, and by setting the minimum at 16 GB, Microsoft would have made the phones more expensive for the end customer. I think 8 GB minimum is just fine; what I don't think is fine is how HTC, Samsung, and the other OEMs didn't release 16 GB and 32 GB versions of their phones beyond the 8 GB versions...
No I’m sorry. It’s 16 GB barely enough for my Zune HD but it doesn’t have a camera. I only have some of my music there, two movies, and my podcasts and that’s it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Having a 720p video camera on the phone you should have at least 24 GB better 32 GB. <o:p></o:p>
In case someone thinks 8GB is enough then such a person doesn’t need a Windows Phone with a camera but a classic Nokia would be just fine. <o:p></o:p>
Look. I have a Canon EOS 5D Mk II camera and 4GB is just for 12 minutes of video recording (at 1080p of course). I’d like to have my Windows Phone for when I don’t have my camera with. And that’s why I plan to buy a Samsung Omnia 7 not a HTC HD7.

Fritzly
11-17-2010, 04:07 AM

No, not everybody; certainly it would fit people who buys these kind of smartphones.

Considering that Apple business model is pushing, so far, 16 and 32 Gb I am afraid that both MS and you are underestimating people need for storage.

Besides what is the difference, on an industrial scale, between a 8 GB and a 16 GB Sd card? $5/$10?
Not such a big difference...... 2.5/5%....... And I can tell you for sure that it is cheaper than have different production lines, inventories etc. etc. for a 8/16/32 GB models.

Jason Dunn
11-17-2010, 05:03 AM
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]No I’m sorry. It’s 16 GB barely enough for my Zune HD but it doesn’t have a camera.

You're welcome to decide for yourself how much storage you need - I too need much more than 8 GB, and am buying a phone I can slap a 32 GB microSD card in - but please understand that the people reading this Web site are not average users. People reading this Web site are the type of enthusiasts that are going to need more storage than most people - and even on this site, nearly 10% of people are OK with 8 GB. So that says something...

Jason Dunn
11-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Besides what is the difference, on an industrial scale, between a 8 GB and a 16 GB Sd card? $5/$10? Not such a big difference...... 2.5/5%....... And I can tell you for sure that it is cheaper than have different production lines, inventories etc. etc. for a 8/16/32 GB models.

I can tell you for a fact that a BOM cost increase of even $10 is significant - a $10 BOM increase usually translates to at least $50 in the final product cost. I don't fully understand the mechanics of how/why, but I've heard it again and again from phone OEMs.

Thinks are never as simple as you're convinced they are, though I know for sure you're not going to believe me and will continue to argue endlessly... :)

Fritzly
11-17-2010, 05:29 AM
I can tell you for a fact that a BOM cost increase of even $10 is significant - a $10 BOM increase usually translates to at least $50 in the final product cost. I don't fully understand the mechanics of how/why, but I've heard it again and again from phone OEMs.

Thinks are never as simple as you're convinced they are, though I know for sure you're not going to believe me and will continue to argue endlessly... :)

First at all I do not argue, eventually I comment and debate.

Second with a Master in Business and Economics and being the CEO of a company that manufacture items I would say thay I am the one with a inner knowledge of the matter.

Third I value my time and hereinafter I will not waste it anymore with someone who out of arguments has to end offending....

Good bye

Jason Dunn
11-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Second with a Master in Business and Economics and being the CEO of a company that manufacture items I would say thay I am the one with a inner knowledge of the matter...Third I value my time and hereinafter I will not waste it anymore with someone who out of arguments has to end offending....

I'm not sure what part of my post offended you, but that wasn't my intention - I apologize.

I was merely trying to point out that, if it were as simple as adding $10 onto the price and making a $199 phone a $209 phone, I think we'd have seen 16 GB/32 GB units. We did not see those phones - and the people at HTC, Samsung, Dell, etc., aren't stupid. They want to have competitive products.

They know they're competing against iPhones that offer 16 GB/32 GB. So why wouldn't they match the storage capacities? I think they couldn't while keeping the phones at a cost that the wireless carriers demanded. That's the only thing that makes any sense; phone OEMs have to deliver products that line up with the pricing requirements of the wireless carriers, or they won't be selling very many of them.

I don't know any of this for a fact, but it's my best guess based on watching this industry from the very beginning. I'm open to the possibility that I'm completely wrong though. :D

Fritzly
11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Actually I have to aplogize too..... I definiitely overreact: debating while waiting for a plummer to fix a toilet floading a bathroom in the middle of the night was not very clever....... :-)

Anyway I followed the example of the brightest and...... richest: I returned my HD7 and oredered a Samsung Omnia , the same one that, at least so it seems, Bill Gates is using.
Again my apologies.

Sven Johannsen
11-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Well, yes and not: considering that MS specified all the details for the phone, including the non removable storage requirement, they could, and considering the blunder that Vista minimum specs created should, have set the storage bar higher.
Again it is not flash memory so the added costs should not be exorbitant.
Non-removable isn't the same as non-replaceable. That appears to be a distinction that Samsung understood with the Focus. While there seem to be some issues associated with that capability, it seems the intent was to provide for memory 'upgradeability'. Clearly there are ramafications of providing the capability, with the associated stipulations, but that seems to have been left up to the OEMs to decide. Is providing the option worth the potential headaches. Is making the device 16G vice 8G potentially reducing the profit by $1 (or something) significant? Over 500,000 units? Depends if you are the accountant (reduced profit) or the marketeer (increased sales).

Edit: Well according to this Windows Phone 7's microSD mess: the full story (and how Nokia can help you out of it) -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/17/windows-phone-7s-microsd-mess-the-full-story-and-how-nokia-ca/) It really wasn't MSs intent to allow users the option. Now if only we couldn't replace our batteries, we really would have an iPhone :rolleyes:

Jason Dunn
11-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Actually I have to aplogize too..... I definiitely overreact: debating while waiting for a plummer to fix a toilet floading a bathroom in the middle of the night was not very clever....... :-)

Apology accepted. Plumbing matters make me angry too. :D

AlCapone
11-18-2010, 09:43 AM
By having SD:
- won't get i a situation like dumb apple users, paying way too much for a product with few GB more than the lowest model.
- can fill it quickly with episodes/movies before travel. (higher transfer speed)
- can have all my data, backup, and extra entertainment for longer trips.
- can have another filled SD as backup, in case my phone gets stolen, shot, or drowned.

While it is important to me, microsoft restrictions do not bother me that much, after many years of windowsmobile (since Jornada 620, and the first IPAQ+Wireless jacket) - I will leave Microsoft's crummy bloatware soon.
Using HD2 now, will get Desire HD, - Android is also much more Linux friendly than microsoft.

Phillip Dyson
11-18-2010, 10:57 PM
As my Zune HD 32 is constantly teetering around 500mb remaining, I would say that anything over 32GB is a plus for me.

mas98110
11-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I use my Pocket PC like a PC and need the ability to hot swap memory cards. I know that I am not the typical consumer. So, I'm still going to wait for the HTC HD2 to be given away with "Happy Meals" and I will cook a ROM of my own.

TimeHunter
11-19-2010, 05:55 PM
The expandable storage issue is the reason why, when it was time to retire my dear Moto Q9m, I jumped to Android instead of waiting for WP7 devices.

My music library is over 16GB all by itself, so not having the option for removable storage was a big FAIL for me. I wanted to consolidate devices since today's smart phones are decent media players as well. The options for storage in WP7 did not meet my needs.

I like WP7, but I'll have to wait until this gets settled out better before it will be able to take care of what I need.

Jason Dunn
11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
The expandable storage issue is the reason why, when it was time to retire my dear Moto Q9m, I jumped to Android instead of waiting for WP7 devices.

So a device like the Samsung Focus, which you can put a 32 GB card in to get 40 GB of storage, wasn't an option?

Phillip Dyson
11-19-2010, 11:12 PM
So a device like the Samsung Focus, which you can put a 32 GB card in to get 40 GB of storage, wasn't an option?

I know you weren't asking me directly, but I would say that the Samsung Focus is probably the one I would pick once they iron out the card issues. 40gb is definitely better than my 32gb Zune HD.

My library sits at about 24gb. But when you add apps, podcasts and Zune pass music, it doesn't leave much room.

I do wonder why everyone caps the size at 32gb. Is it because that is the size that is available, or is anything larger a different card spec?

Sven Johannsen
11-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I do wonder why everyone caps the size at 32gb. Is it because that is the size that is available, or is anything larger a different card spec?

Quick searches

16G microSDHC ~ $25
32G microSDHC ~ $100
64G microSDHC ~ $367*

*http://www.dhgate.com/memory-card-1-64g-micro-sd-sdhc-from-bestech/p-ff8080812b47d523012b5722ebc0108a.html

That clear it up? Of course I recall when those same $ values were accurate for Megabyte CF cards, so overtime prices come down, and storage requirements go up to accomodate ;)

Jason Dunn
11-20-2010, 12:23 AM

32 GB is where SDHC cards stop. 64 GB cards are where SDXC cards begin; I'm not sure if the memory card slots in these devices are SDXC or not, but even if they are, I haven't seen a 64 GB microSDXC announced yet.

Sven Johannsen
11-20-2010, 04:40 AM
32 GB is where SDHC cards stop. 64 GB cards are where SDXC cards begin; I'm not sure if the memory card slots in these devices are SDXC or not, but even if they are, I haven't seen a 64 GB microSDXC announced yet.
Hey, look at my link. If we get 51 of us to go in on it we can knock those 64G SDHC cards down to $302. Guess one parameter in the how much memory do you need question, is how much can you afford. ;)

Jason Dunn
11-20-2010, 04:55 AM
Hey, look at my link. If we get 51 of us to go in on it we can knock those 64G SDHC cards down to $302. Guess one parameter in the how much memory do you need question, is how much can you afford. ;)

Yeah, I saw your link, but I don't believe it. Notice how all the graphics in it (and some of the text) only refer to cards up to 32 GB in size? If Sandisk doesn't have a 64 GB microSD card - and they don't - then I find it hard to believe anyone will. Plus, we'd need to know if Windows Phone 7 devices use SDXC card readers....I'm 99% sure they don't. So I'm pretty sure that 32 GB is the hard limit for now.