View Full Version : Trouble Installing Zune 4.7 Software? Try a Manual Download

Jason Dunn
10-25-2010, 06:00 AM
<p>I've just spent the past 10 minutes fighting with the installation of the Zune 4.7 desktop software on one of my computers; the upgrade, which comes via Windows Update, worked smoothly on all of my other computers, but on this one computer, it kept failing. More irritatingly, the URL the Zune software installer gives me for more information isn't neither clickable, nor is it possible to copy and paste it. I attempted the first install, and when it failed, I rebooted my PC and tried again. It failed again. I rebooted again, and this time I went to <a href="http://www.zune.net" target="_blank">Zune.net</a> and downloaded the 4.7 software directly - and the install worked. A bit odd! I had hoped the Zune software had evolved beyond the point of random install failures, but it seems it still has a way to go yet.</p>

jentse
10-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Jason,
I'm experiencing something odd with my Zune software for quite some time now. Saturday I updated to 4.7, but still the problem persists:
I pointed out just 1 folder (containing albums) that the software should monitor. However, after it's finished adding the media of that folder, it continues randomly adding music from some other folders!!! I don't want that to happen, because that music is not ordered as neatly with metadata etc., thus creating a lot of mess in the Zune software.
It especially makes it difficult (time-consuming) to select the right music to go on my Zune.
I tried the helpdesk already, but since I live in Holland that's going to be an expensive thing to continue with. Do you have any idea what might cause the problem? I already deleted al the 'unwanted' folders out of the corresponding Win7 library....

Hope you have some idea, otherwise thanks anyway!

kind regards,
Jentse

Jason Dunn
10-25-2010, 05:23 PM
I pointed out just 1 folder (containing albums) that the software should monitor. However, after it's finished adding the media of that folder, it continues randomly adding music from some other folders!!! I don't want that to happen, because that music is not ordered as neatly with metadata etc., thus creating a lot of mess in the Zune software.

In the Zune desktop software, click on SETTINGS (upper right corner) then you'll see the libraries section. On Music, click on MANAGE, and add/remove sources. If only only want the Zune software to scan one folder, set it to that folder, and remove anything else.

The down side to this is that on your computer, if you click on Start > Music, you'll only see that one folder because it's all that's part of your library.

Of course, this is assuming you're using Windows 7. :)

Jason Dunn
10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Here's someone that has the technical details about why the install failed:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/deva/archive/2010/10/23/zune-software-installation-failed-with-error-code-0x80070643.aspx

FtheK
10-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Actually, about the monitored folders, you can, as of the update, manage your Zune and Windows 7 libraries separately, which I think is a great addition. Shame I already spent ages sorting my libraries out so that what I wanted was where I wanted it, oh well :rolleyes:

Jason Dunn
10-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Actually, about the monitored folders, you can, as of the update, manage your Zune and Windows 7 libraries separately, which I think is a great addition. Shame I already spent ages sorting my libraries out so that what I wanted was where I wanted it, oh well :rolleyes:

Oh wow - you're right, I didn't notice that! They must have caught a lot of flack for the way they implemented it with the previous update...I know I was irritated to suddenly have the Zune software on all my PCs scan all my photos and videos on my Windows Home Server when I only wanted to use it to listen to music...

Nice find! :)