View Full Version : HTPC Crossroads

Phillip Dyson
10-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey all,
I believe that my HTPC is at a crossroads.

In the past it was a dual analogu tuner pc running SageTV. And it pretty much worked well until Comcast moved a chunk of my most watched channels to the digital line up. Now I'm left with only a handful of network tv channels that come over in the clear from the Coax cable.

When I upgraded from XP to Win7 I did convert over to Windows Media Center and I like it so far. Even the Xbox extender functionality is nice. I still have purchased a remote yet until I know whether I'm going to commit.

My question is this....
Should I invest in a cable card tuner? The only one I can find is a Quad Tuner by Ceton at $399. That's quite a bit of change. But I"m not ruling it out.

I don't really want to deal with an IR blaster either.

At this point if I can't access any of my cable channels (syfy, comedy central, cartoon network) then wants the point?

Maybe it does make sense to just get a Tivo, or god forbid, a Comcast DVR... ugh!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and reponses.

Phillip Dyson
10-25-2010, 05:17 AM
Hmmm....
No takers?

Okay, how about this? Are there any cablecard tuners out there than anyone would recommend?

Phillip Dyson
01-31-2011, 08:29 PM
We'll I've broken down and ordered a Comcast DVR. I suppose if a better, family friendly solution presents itself, the I can consider it.

But in the mean time my wife will be able to record the Green Hornet series on the Syfy channel. The one with Bruce Lee, of course.