View Full Version : Apple's Ping vs. Zune Social

stlbud
09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm surprised there is no discussion about this. Ping sounds like a somewhat lame effort to duplicate the Social.

From discussions I've read and heard, it sounds like Ping requires you know other Ping members before you can "friend" them. Otherwise it seems very similar to Zune Social. Giving listeners a place to present their interests and for Artists promote their works.

Discussions have suggested it is an effort for Apple to further control artists by giving them controlled access to listeners.

Several have complained about a lack of access to other social groups such as Twitter and Facebook. Something not directly available through Zune Social except through Microsoft' Windows Live.

Any comments??? Anybody?? Does anyone really use the Zune Social??

Sven Johannsen
09-08-2010, 04:24 PM
The parallel to the Zune social didn't escape me either when Ping showed up. Didn't excite me as I'm not that big a socializer. Gotta figure MS has done something right though if Apple is copying them ;) Now if MS would just learn how to market. Won't surprise me if in a few months, who came first isn't totally forgotten. With Windows Phone 7 coming with Zune integration, now is the time to really expose the subscription option. (Before Steve Jobs invents it)

stlbud
09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Now if MS would just learn how to market.

Yeah, that's the trick, isn't it. This horse in the desert isn't going to do it with most people.