¹ There's Always Room For Compression! - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan
Default There's Always Room For Compression!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ssion,2572.html

"There are plenty of software options available for storing, compressing, and archiving data in different ways. These tools no longer simply reduce file size and merge your input files into a single, manageable archive. They also support automatic downsizing of images, virus-checking, content-checking to avoid unnecessary compression of files that already are compressed, splitting, encrypting, and more."

The importance of compression has flucuated over the years.  Back in the days of dial-up access, compression was vital.  Anything you downloaded usually came in the form of a zip, lzh or arc file.  With ample storage and faster bandwidth, compression may not be quite as important, but it has become ubiquitous in the form of image and video codecs.  Still, there are many uses for compression, such as encrypting files, collecting a group of files together and yes, even shrinking large files into more managable chunks.  Tom's Hardware does a good comparison, and I think what should be of note is that there are viable free programs  that can be used for your archiving needs.  There has been more than a few times where I have helped people out who think that for any application, one has to buy it.  For lots of applications, that is just not true.  Personally, I favour 7-Zip.  It is free, but I find it works quite well, and more importantly, it is really easy to use.  What is your choice?