¹ 4.0 bricks 1st and 2nd generation Zunes - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 AM
SoundMix
Ponderer
Default 4.0 bricks 1st and 2nd generation Zunes

According to the MS Zune forums, and Engadget, many 1st and 2nd generation Zunes are being bricked by the Version 4.0 software, resulting in many taking drastic measures to try and ressurect their Zunes. Little success reported.

This is what I've come to expect from the Zune team, nothing more, nothing less. Same old crap.

Paul

Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Upgraded 3, no problem. A 30G, and 8 and an 80.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I've had no problem....and why would you expect this? If nothing the else, the Zune has always worked well.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:12 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer

I upgraded two, an 80GB and a 4GB. I had firmware and file problems with the 80GB. I was able to fix these myself with an hour of fiddling. Not good!

Paul

Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
I've had no problem....and why would you expect this? If nothing the else, the Zune has always worked well.
When you say it has always worked, you must be speaking of your own experiences. Good for you!

Go to the MS Zune forums. MS admits there is a problem with 4.0 and promises a patch. There are people reporting problems on this forum as well. I guess you did not see the Engadget post either.

I helped them debug problems with an earlier version over a two week period. This was also a driver problem.

IMHO version 3.1 is the most stable of all so far.

Paul

Last edited by SoundMix; 09-30-2009 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

When I say always worked, I refer to the fact that in 3 years of owning a Zune, it has always worked. Its not good if they have an issue now but the only other firmware related issue I know of was the whole time change thing.

Their track record is pretty good.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMix View Post
When you say it has always worked, you must be speaking of your own experiences. Good for you!

Go to the MS Zune forums. MS admits there is a problem with 4.0 and promises a patch. There are people reporting problems on this forum as well. I guess you did not see the Engadget post either.

I helped them debug problems with an earlier version over a two week period. This was also a driver problem.

IMHO version 3.1 is the most stable of all so far.

Paul
Well that is a bit different than your original post, which paraphrased is Zune is crap and always was. I would wonder if 3.0 had some issues that 3.1 fixed, making it the most stable ever. I would expect a 4.1.

BTW Apple's 3.0 has had some issues as has 3.01 and 3.1, so updates can have some issues that appear once the broader release hits the world. Unlikely that the 99% with no problems are going to speak up, so all you hear are the issues.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Ron Hostetter
Thoughts Media Review Team

FWIW... My son's Brown 30 hasn't been working since the upgrade. After a few seconds of use (usually no more than 30), it freezes then reboots itself.

I'm not, however, convinced it's a firmware problem. This Zune is old and has been tossed around a lot. I suspect it is just as likely a hard drive problem.

He's using my old 80 now (since I got the HD), and I'll be playing around with the 30 to see if I can get it going.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:05 AM
SoundMix
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Well that is a bit different than your original post, which paraphrased is Zune is crap and always was. I would wonder if 3.0 had some issues that 3.1 fixed, making it the most stable ever. I would expect a 4.1.
Perhaps I should have worded this differently. The Zune hardware is not crap. The Zune team is unable/unwilling to create software that is compatible with WMC/WMP. And their beta program (Version 4.0) leaves much to be desired...crappy. Buggy softweare is one thing, turning Zunes into bricks is far more serious. The recent Engadget poll suggest 1 out of 5, or 20% of Zune users are having software/firmware problems. Not a scientific poll, but way more than the 1% you suggest.

And who cares about Apples, Ipods, or ITunes. Not me.

Last edited by SoundMix; 10-02-2009 at 01:22 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 AM
SoundMix
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hostetter View Post
FWIW... My son's Brown 30 hasn't been working since the upgrade. After a few seconds of use (usually no more than 30), it freezes then reboots itself..
Yes it could be the HD. But, if it worked before the update it could very well be the update. Check the MS Zune forums. I recall others reporting the same problem you are having.