¹ Is Zune HD the Beginning of A Microsoft Revolution? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 09-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default Is Zune HD the Beginning of A Microsoft Revolution?

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/09/s...t-zune-hd-s.php

"Let's peer ahead one year, where we'll see how the release of Zune HD represents a shift (*ahem*) in Microsoft's strategy, a convergence of media everywhere, using multiple screens for the same content. You buy (or steal) those movies, TV shows or songs once, and then you can watch them anywhere. Imagine this: You carry around a slim, tiny phone, and when you get home you plug it into a dock that charges it. Meanwhile you instantly have access to its content — movies, songs, pictures — on any PC on your network, your Xbox 360, or any TV in your house. That video you started watching on the train? You can finish watching it in your home theater in HD, even 1080p on your Xbox 360."

I'll believe it when I see it. The pieces have been in place for years, and only now are we starting to see a real convergence in device strategy between the individual Microsoft departments. DVICE makes a good point about the usefulness of a subscription service tying the individual pices together, and the Zune branding of Xbox Live video marketplace was definitely a good first step. It remains to be seen, however, if new Xbox, Zune, and Media Center developments (not to mention those in Windows Mobile and Windows 7, plus Pink, Turtle, and Courier) will help sort out these integration deficiencies, or the groups will continue to live isolated as they have the last few years. I'm really hoping I'm proven wrong.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

And yes, I do see the irony of Che hawking a Zune, or any product really. But I think Che's status as a revolutionary icon was long ago wiped out by the legions of hipster t-shirts, movies, and books written about him. If he's a fan of the OLED screen, all the better

Old 09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer
Default Che

I believe that right after Che held up the Zune or any capitalist icon, he probably threw it down, stomped on it, and then spat upon it. It's what he did.

Anyhow I won't be loaning him (metaphorically) my Zune or anything else, ever.

Paul

Last edited by SoundMix; 09-29-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-29-2009, 05:31 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Unfortunately I've lost some faith in Microsoft to tie the pieces together. It makes no sense that they haven't yet. They're all laying there. There's nothing really stopping them but themselves. I feel like the MS of 1995 would have done it in 2 years (now if it worked well is another story... )

Old 09-29-2009, 07:09 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
Unfortunately I've lost some faith in Microsoft to tie the pieces together. It makes no sense that they haven't yet. They're all laying there. There's nothing really stopping them but themselves. I feel like the MS of 1995 would have done it in 2 years (now if it worked well is another story... )
MS made two great Photoshop type programs, Digital Image Suite 2006 and an earlier program...the name escapes me. I owned both and both were totally abandoned with no replacement or upgrade path. Except for the MS OS, I have completely lost faith in MS's ability to do anything cohesive or lasting. MS has also abandoned it's Money program.

Paul

Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 PM
egads
Theorist

I just want my Zune to play music I have rip'd from my CD's and albums. I don't want a subscription, don't want to watch videos, don't want to share music with other Zune's, don't want to connect to a XBox, ...

From looking at other recient posts MS is putting all of their eggs in the ZuneHD basket. This will force a lot of Zune owners like me to buy someone's elses player because the only player MS sells does not fit our needs. Just hope my aging Zune30 lasts a long time...

Old 09-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMix View Post
MS made two great Photoshop type programs, Digital Image Suite 2006 and an earlier program...the name escapes me. I owned both and both were totally abandoned with no replacement or upgrade path.
I owned that program and loved it. It was much simpler and easier to use than Photoshop, not to mention it cost less. When they discontinued the product, which held a lot of potential but was missing a number of key features I was quite upset. I use the Expression tools now (free from Dreamspark), but I'd never pay for them, because I can easily seem them being abandoned in a few years. It's really too bad, because there are so many projects within Microsoft that could develop into good brands, and tie into the rest of the company's image.

I'm constantly amazed that no one at MS has really been able to make this all work. In contrast, this piece examines Apple who, for better or worse, has seemingly been able to pull it off mostly without a hitch (via FakeSteve).

Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Scarpad
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
I just want my Zune to play music I have rip'd from my CD's and albums. I don't want a subscription, don't want to watch videos, don't want to share music with other Zune's, don't want to connect to a XBox, ...

From looking at other recient posts MS is putting all of their eggs in the ZuneHD basket. This will force a lot of Zune owners like me to buy someone's elses player because the only player MS sells does not fit our needs. Just hope my aging Zune30 lasts a long time...

Well the HD does this so whats the problem?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 PM
egads
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Well the HD does this so whats the problem?
The cost and the size. If I were to buy a new Zune now I would get one of the small flashed based devices. It sounds like MS is not going to produce these anymore. The HD is way over kill for anything I'd ever use it for.