¹ A Few Bits of Random Info for non-Zune HD Owners - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default A Few Bits of Random Info for non-Zune HD Owners

There's not much to this post, but a few bits of info that I wanted to share:

• When it comes to apps, it's going to be Zune HD only. Moving forward all apps and games will be only for the Zune HD, not any previous models.
  • Older devices will be able to play back rental movies from the Zune Marketplace, but not download-to-own movies. I'm not sure if this goes back all the way to the Zune 30 devices - I'll have to test that.
  • Obviously, without the Tegra chip, older devices won't be able to play back HD content.
  • The Quickplay UI will not be present on older devices

Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
snap
Pupil
Default 3.2 software for original Zune?

Is there a 3.2 software for the original Zune player? I installed the new PC software but it says my Zune is up-to-date on 3.1 (50).

Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap View Post
Is there a 3.2 software for the original Zune player? I installed the new PC software but it says my Zune is up-to-date on 3.1 (50).
I updated an 80GB Zune. You can update the Zune firmware to 3.2 by connecting your Zune to the Version 4.0 software. It takes awhile so be patient. The software will see that the firmware needs to be upgraded. I did this earlier today. Not sure about the 30GB model.

Paul

Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 PM
paschott
Intellectual

My 30 also shows a 3.1 version. I've seen this reported elsewhere as well so it seems that this would be the latest/greatest for now. I suppose I should actually start saving up for one of these HD units. I like the way they look.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:00 PM
seedoubleyou
Neophyte
Default don't get too excited

I updated my device (Zune80) first thing this morning and there's no apparent change to its layout/design/operation.

Now whether they've fixed any known issues, no idea....nor is there any non-up-the-collective-ZuneHD-rectum documentation regarding the fact...

I can't believe the press (like Zune Thoughts, Engadget, etc.) isn't more in tune to the amount of people upset that loyal legacy (18 months is legacy?!) Zune owners are left with nothing after the update.... Even just simple feature requests we've been looking for. I personally could care less about things I get if I buy a DRM..er..I mean Zune pass or HD Radio.

I think this is serious fail on M$' part, and perhaps a true indication of when the greed of senior management and marketing departments gets in the way of common sense and overall customer satisfaction.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedoubleyou View Post
...I can't believe the press (like Zune Thoughts, Engadget, etc.) isn't more in tune to the amount of people upset that loyal legacy (18 months is legacy?!) Zune owners are left with nothing after the update...I think this is serious fail on M$' part...
I'm disappointed as well. There was a lot of hype in the weeks leading up to the release of Zune HD, about how Microsoft supported older models of Zune. There were expectations in the blogs that we would all benefit from the upgrade. In the end we're no better off than if we had iPods.

My biggest disappointment is the Apps. Microsoft threw us a bone when they released a handful of games and a developer's kit for Zune apps. Then virtually nothing - specially from Microsoft. Now with the promise of an App. store, we get nothing.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
seedoubleyou
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbud View Post
My biggest disappointment is the Apps. Microsoft threw us a bone when they released a handful of games and a developer's kit for Zune apps. Then virtually nothing - specially from Microsoft. Now with the promise of an App. store, we get nothing.
The fact that they disclosed next to no information at all is just dirty pool as well...

I felt like a kid expecting a new bike under the Xmas tree, only to find out that I got an ugly knit sweater instead.

No mention of bug fixes (D-pad becomes inoperable), tech tweaks, nothing...

But boy did they pump out the almost desperately shiny press on the HD....

bad, bad, desperate marketing...

As I posted in the Zune forums this morning (SeeEssDoubleYou is my tag) ... they least they can do now is release the SDK or API to the development community like they did with the games and WindowsMobile and let the open community tweak the 'old' devices the way the abandoned users want it...

i'm having a blast with my LG Incite running a custom cooked WinMo 6.5 ROM and the ability to communicate directly with the 'chefs' who makes the custom ROMs for us...

Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
rck
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap View Post
I have Zune 30 as well. I thought the 3.2 update was not for the Zune 30 since I initially did not get the option to update. However, after a few syncs with the 4.0 software, I went back to Settings for the Device in the 4.0 software, and it did show an optional update 3.2 firmware under Player Update. After a quick update (less than a few minutes), the device now shows it has 3.2 firmware.

Does anyone know what was included in 3.2 firmware update?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:48 PM
seedoubleyou
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rck View Post
I have Zune 30 as well. I thought the 3.2 update was not for the Zune 30 since I initially did not get the option to update. However, after a few syncs with the 4.0 software, I went back to Settings for the Device in the 4.0 software, and it did show an optional update 3.2 firmware under Player Update. After a quick update (less than a few minutes), the device now shows it has 3.2 firmware.

Does anyone know what was included in 3.2 firmware update?

AFAIK , NOTHING... that's the point of most of my gripes at least... My 80 looks no different after the update than it did before. And again, there's no tech notes or anything in the formal press release regarding bug fixes... Once again, we'd get better disclosure and support from the open source development community if M$ would just unwad their panties a bit...

Old 09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
rck
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
There's not much to this post, but a few bits of info that I wanted to share:
  • When it comes to apps, it's going to be Zune HD only. Moving forward all apps and games will be only for the Zune HD, not any previous models.
  • Older devices will be able to play back rental movies from the Zune Marketplace, but not download-to-own movies. I'm not sure if this goes back all the way to the Zune 30 devices - I'll have to test that.
  • Obviously, without the Tegra chip, older devices won't be able to play back HD content.
  • The Quickplay UI will not be present on older devices
Currently, the MarketPlace has some HD TV shows for no charge (the pilots for Psych and 30 Rock). So, I wanted to see what would happen if I downloaded an HD version of a program from the MarketPlace and sync'd it to my Zune 30.

Well, I was surprised when I selected the downloaded HD Video from my Collection, and saw there was an option to sync to my Zune 30. I was even more surprised that it sync'd right away without any conversion. I took a look at Zune download directory and 2 versions of the program were downloaded. For the 1 hour Psych, there is a 3 GB HD WMV file (1280x720) and a 600 MB portable SD WMV file (320x180).

I have not tried a movie yet. It is interesting that you can rent a movie but not download-to-own on the older Zunes as Jason mentions. Does this mean that on the download-to-own version you only get the HD version but on the rental you get both HD and SD versions? Has anyone tried yet any versions (SD vs. HD and rent vs. own) of the Markeplace movies and tried to sync on the older Zunes (especially the Zune 30)?