¹ Video in 4.0 - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Scarpad
Pupil
Default Video in 4.0

Well they've updated the video selections on the MP to include HD 1280x720p Movies and TV Shows. I Downloaded an HD Episode of Warehouse 13 last night. Along with the 1280p version which weighs in at about 2 GB is a Device specific version. To maintain compatibility with the 30gb Version 1 Zune's that device specific version is at 320x180 resolution and is about 300mb.

Now I understand they don't want to leave Version 1 people out of the mix but the downside of keeping the compatibility is that if it was a higher res, say that of the HD screen 480x272 or even 630x360, it would be a perfect copy for player only to take advantage of the screen but not take up 2gb of room. That version could be put on when docked. But I understand what they did making it copy the HD version to the HD only and the device version to the 30 to 120gb zune's.

You can also buy SD res versions but I wonder what that gives you a version at DVD Quality or a 320x180 version. A Suspect the latter to maintain compatibility, which means if you want to take advantage to the fullest of the HD's screen you have to buy HD at the Higher price and that kind of stinks.
So the best compromise is probably to rip and roll your own.