¹ No new smaller zune models? What is Microsoft thinking? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 09-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Question No new smaller zune models? What is Microsoft thinking?

I'm excited for the Zune HD this Tuesday, but also very disappointed that Microsoft has essentially killed off all of the smaller zune devices with no replacements in sight. Although the HD is smaller than the original larger Zune, not everyone wants to carry a full-size device with them.

Apple did great offering the various iPod sizes, and I see many people at the gym, for example, using ipod mini's and nano's. I personally would have a hard time taking the Zune HD to 24-Hour Fitness for example, in fear of damaging the device by dropping it while weight lifting, getting sweat on it frequently, or just plain theft. The Zune HD is a gorgeous device and I would rather have a smaller form factor option for many other reasons.

I hope Microsoft has something up their sleeve as far as smaller Zune devices in the NEAR future. I hate to use two different software programs to manage my music collections, but I might have to buy an iPod mini now (although I hate iTunes) because it's perfect for taking on certain occasions.

I undertand that MS is trying to make the offerings more simple and trying to make the Zune more successful, but I also think they're shooting themselves in the foot for only offering two models (16GB and 32GB) for the foreseeable future.

Curious what others think...

Old 09-13-2009, 03:24 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I agree with you. I think this is a mistake on their part...but I also think that if they are successful with this model that we'll see a resurrection of other categories.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:12 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer

Anything but Ipod! Check out the Sandisk Sansa clip....cheap, and you can use WMP.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:20 AM
laurenglenn
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMix View Post
Anything but Ipod! Check out the Sandisk Sansa clip....cheap, and you can use WMP.
Considering that you can still buy the 30GB online through eBay and the like, it doesn't seem like too much of a big deal. I'd love to see a higher capacity version also, but everyone's moving to flash based devices. At least I won't have to worry about it dying on me if it drops as long as the screen is more resilient than the iPhone.