¹ Samsung's BD-P1500 Blu-ray Player: Dysfunctional in the Extreme - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Samsung's BD-P1500 Blu-ray Player: Dysfunctional in the Extreme

This is the review I posted to Amazon.com. I figured I'd share it with the esteemed readers of this site - you'll want to avoid this product.

As a Blu-ray player, I have no signifant complaints other than by default the Bonus View is turned on and it will say the words "Bonus View" in every second of the movie. You have to go into the settings to turn this off - you can't turn if off with the remote, which is hugely irritating. Oh, and it's pretty sluggish starting up and with most menu functions. The REAL problem, and trust me when I say this, is this player's incompatibility with regular DVDs. Out of the box, I had problems with the player sputtering and stuttering while playing regular DVDs. And these were brand new DVDs, with nary a scratch or smudge. I tried updating the firmware - same problem. I used a DVD head cleaner - same problem. I called Samsung and sent it in for repair, got it back, and the third regular DVD I tried it it ("Cellular") started skipping wildly about half-way through. This is a brand new DVD, the first time playing it. Samsung released a buggy product, and they've already released a newer version (the BD-P1600), leaving all owners of this current product in the lurch. Do not buy this product - it's a classic case of a big company releasing a flawed product them quickly replacing it.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Twain
Ponderer

I saw this review and was shocked. I was shocked because I have this exact Blu-ray player and have had no problems with it (regular DVDs or blu-ray discs). In fact, I bought this because of the problems I had with the first Blu-ray player they released, the BD-P1000. To date, the BD-P1500 has played everything I have thrown at it, with nary a problem. I'm wondering if you just bought a bum unit?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM
bcre8v2
Intellectual
Cool I can relate

I had exactly the same unit and problem (incompatibility with "older" DVD's). I exchanged it after 2 weeks hoping the problem was with my system. The replacement unit had no compatibility issue, but was MUCH louder than the first unit (DVD's spinning).
I got so sick and tired of the issues and time spent, I sold it on Craigslist.
I have yet to purchase another Blu-Ray system until I regain my digital confidence with this technology again.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:36 PM
buckyg
Thinker

I appreciate all the posts on Blu-Rays here... I'm interested, but want to wait until pricing comes down (player & disc) and to topic, that the kinks get worked out of players. Seeing way too many threads like this posted online that sure don't inspire confidence...

Old 04-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twain View Post
I saw this review and was shocked. I was shocked because I have this exact Blu-ray player and have had no problems with it (regular DVDs or blu-ray discs)...I'm wondering if you just bought a bum unit?
Hmm. It's possible I suppose, though you'd think that me sending it back for repairs would have fixed the problem line. Since it didn't, I was left with the assumption that it's simply a defective product. But if you've never seen the same problems as I have...then I don't quite know what to think other than I feel angry with Samsung for releasing a product so inconsistent.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Thracain
Neophyte
Default RE

I also have a Samsung BD-P1500 that works flawlessly with all media thrown at it.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

I have this same player and don't have the problems with standard DVD's that you report.

I do agree it's slow (alhtough, as my only BluRay player I didn't know if that's just inherent to all BluRay media). My biggest gripe? Parental controls can't be disabled on the fly! You have to go into settings and turn them off....then after the movie *remeber* to turn them back on! It seems like more players are doing this these days and I'm not sure why

Old 04-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracain View Post
I also have a Samsung BD-P1500 that works flawlessly with all media thrown at it.
I'm glad it works for you - but the 47 1-star reviews of this player on Amazon.com, many with people complaining about the same issues as me, tell me that I'm not alone. Samsung really screwed up here with this player.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcre8v2 View Post
I have yet to purchase another Blu-Ray system until I regain my digital confidence with this technology again.
For what it's worth, not all Blu-Ray players are like this. My PS3 has been absolutely flawless at both BR and regular DVD disks, with excellent upconverting quality.

--janak

Old 04-16-2009, 04:59 AM
jdmichal
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
For what it's worth, not all Blu-Ray players are like this. My PS3 has been absolutely flawless at both BR and regular DVD disks, with excellent upconverting quality.

--janak
From everything I've heard, the PS3 is probably the only Blu-Ray player you should ever think of buying. Even if you never play a single game on it.