Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Joel Crane
Intellectual
Question Some questions about wireless networking

I have some general questions about wireless networking. Here at my college, there are a bunch of Xbox 360's and we like to play Halo 3. I have two routers on my network, neither of them are DHCP servers, my ICS server takes care of that. One router is my D-Link WR-1310 (802.11G), and the second is my brand new old Linksys BEFW11S4v4 (802.11B). The Linksys router is my "Open" access point, meaning that it is unsecured, I just open it up every now and then for Halo 3 or StarCraft.

Here is my problem. With my Xbox 360 connected via ethernet, and then 3 other Xbox 360s connected wirelessly, Halo 3 works but sometimes gets laggy. The whole game doesn't lag, usually only one or two 'boxes start to have minor issues. This is an old 802.11B router, so it either 11mbps isn't fast enough, or the router just doesn't have enough processing power.

I'd swap its' place with my D-Link 802.11G router, but the B router only has WEP security, and I want WPA for my secured AP.

So now, I'm kicking myself for buying an old 802.11B router, I wish i would have paid the extra $25 for the G router, but it's what I have so I need to make it work or just put up with the problems.

Is there any way I can make it handle the workload? What do all these settings like "Short Preamble", "DTIM Interval", "RTS Threshold", and "Beacon Interval" mean? I've always wondered what all of this means anyway, so not only would I like to try to fix the problem but I want to learn the technical things about WiFi.

I'd also like to figure out why some clients (Such as my Axim) refuse to connect to my secured, 802.11G D-Link AP.