Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-10-2010, 07:31 AM
oposky2006
Neophyte

sleep and sleep

Old 03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
YazrJeffries
Neophyte

watching reality tv shows and going to estate sales on the weekends..

Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
leyonchung
Neophyte
Default Spend by free time

I aspire to invest my time in fruitful things, rather than spend it in frivoulous things.

I am 22 years old and I am in my final year of a reputable degree, yet I feel terribly ignorant about stuff that matters. One thing I have noticed about many great men of the past is that dedicated themselves to books, particularly classical literature. In the old days, you may be aware that it was like a right of passage to earn oneself a liberal arts degree. Today, not so much. The emphasis appears to be more on preparing oneself for employment, rather than for life. How I wish I dedicated my early years to ardent study of the classics! Oh, but I shall not despair, for I am 22 years old.

I have made it a goal of mine to cure my ignorance, at least to some degree (for who can truly say that they are no longer ignorant?).

In grade 7, Latin was a compulsory subject yet I chose not to continue it throughout my secondary schooling. Oh how naive!

So I have set myself the task to learn Latin, in order to improve my currently limited vocabularly but also to gain access to some of the classic texts. I have already committed myself to the AoM 100 Must Reads, among a few other things.

So this leads me to my question: what are some things you do in your spare time that you consider to be like an investment in yourself?

**And yes, I have been reading a bit of Theodore Roosevelt's work recently, so I have naturally developed a disdain for idleness.