Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP Looking for Laptop Feedback

You may have seen some other Web sites asking the same question, but I'd like to get some input from Smartphone Thoughts and Zune Thoughts readers. It's off topic for this site, but I know many of you use laptops and I'm sure you have some great feedback to provide.

HP is working with Chris Aarons at Buzzcorps (guess they're too busy to make a site) and they've asked certain community leaders (such as myself) to ask their communities for comments on laptops and, more specifically, what they'd like to see HP do in the laptop space. While they won't post in our forums, I've been told all comments will be read by HP - so here's your chance to make your voice heard. What would you like to see HP do with their laptops? How can they improve their laptops?

Let's keep this focused on YOU posting what YOU want - please don't argue with someone else about how you don't want what they want. If they want a 20 pound pink laptop made out of recycled rubber tires, well, that's ok. ;-)

Old 08-23-2007, 03:24 AM
andre
Pupil

they need to make their laptops more stylish...they look too corporate. you want to have a laptop that you can be proud to use in a coffee shop/ campus

Old 08-23-2007, 04:08 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

Things I am looking for:

- Flat base: Some of the newer laptops have uneven base, or base contoured around the parts inside. Please make it flat, helps me keeps the laptop straight on my lap and also it doesn't waste space.

- Power adapter: should be light, really light, the cable should be thin as well. The design absolutely must allow the cable to be wrapped around the adapter.

- Should not have noisy fan

- Should not run like a space heater

- Quiet keyboard

- Keyboard light (or must glow in dark)

- Screen that works well in daylight, light sensor based screen is good

- The WiFi must have a switch to turn it on and off

- The screen's hinge and frame must be very sturdy, I should be able to move the laptop by holding the end of the screen's frame.

- Looks do matter

Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 AM
irayct
Neophyte
Default Powerful Tablet

It would be great to see a powerful tablet/convertable computer. It would have a DVD-RW (maybe even a HD-DVD and/or a Blu-Ray) drive, nVidia 8800 or equivalent graphics, 500Gb of storage, 4Gb RAM, a TV tuner (I may be reaching too far with this), as well as the tablet functionality.

I would love to have a tablet pc that is powerful enough to run a bunch of games, play movies, run a few virtural PC's, some hi-media applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects and Vista Ultimate.

There are tablet PC's and there are high-end notebook PC's. It would be very doable to sacrifice some of the portability that tablets have historically had and add considerably more functionality. It would be great to have one computer for everything, instead of a tablet for taking handwritten notes, etc. and another computer to do everything that needs more than a 1.4Ghz processor with 512Mb of RAM.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Alber1690
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Alber1690

Well, as a current HP Notebook user (dv6000z) I must say I'm very happy. I can't really find much to complain or suggest about, but rather what kinds of things (small things) I have found to be very useful and should be continued and improved.
  • QuickPlay touch sensative buttons are amazing, continue updating the look
  • The express card should be moved from its current location on the right because when something is plugged in (e.g. TV Tuner) it is difficult to use a mouse that is normally located around that area
  • I have my power cord connected all of the time, an option to disable the blue light should be kind of nice since it's really bright at night, but don't remove the LED light
  • The touchpad gets really, really hot after using it a while
  • The new hidden-hinge look is really visually attractive but makes it invonvinient when trying to open the lid as it lifts the whole computer
  • Better built-in speakers and design
  • When the CD/DVD drive is in use, it shouldn't sound/feel like I'm powering an airplane
  • The new black finish is a fingerprint/dust magnet, really visually appealing but when not cleaned daily, it becomes disgusting to look at
  • The QuickPlay DVD launch button is EXTREMELY sensitive when the computer is off, any accidental hovering of your finger turns on the computer and becomes a hassle, maybe that shouldn't be touch-sensative
  • Continue the touchpad and WiFi switch; really useful
  • USB placement is great
  • Overall design's shape is good
  • Personally, I like my computer to be a dark color, but I know that other people are really into the color choices; offering different colors will be a great hit
  • Continue to offer the HP wireless remote that goes in the express card slot
Well, that's about all I could think about. Oh and don't come out with models too soon...I just bought mine...lol.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 AM
tuleggi
Neophyte

- a better audio sound card (for home theater, so no need to buy an external one from creative)

- possibility to listen the music with the OS not turned on (just CD player or USB with mp3 wma wav files in it)

- microphone and webcam incorporated

- thin and use all available spaces

- micro laser mouse incorporated (detachable from the frame when necessary to use it)

- TV card inside with micro antenna

- a lot of RAM

- fanless (or very very very quiet solution)

Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 PM
bej
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kumar View Post
Things I am looking for:

- Power adapter: should be light, really light, the cable should be thin as well. The design absolutely must allow the cable to be wrapped around the adapter.

- Should not have noisy fan

- Should not run like a space heater
Totally agree with that.

Also:
- Improve battery life

Old 08-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

When I was looking at laptops back at the start of this year, I found that between HP and Compaq, they had too many different model lines and too many different models within each line. Reduce the overlap and allow more customization of the device from your website. Also, provide some clear idea of what the differences are between each model line.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:36 PM
HalM
Intellectual

Power adapter needs good cable management.

Style matters, even in business.

The newer back lite LCD screens are a must.

Battery life.

Tech Support: Every time I have had to call HP Tech Support for a client I have sworn I would never touch a HP product again. That whole part of the business needs to overhauled.

Customer Service: Make it easy to choose and order which model you want or need. Too many choices out there now.

IMHO, the target to shoot for is the new Dell XPS M1330.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 PM
michaelp
Pupil

Props HP for wanting our opinion!

I want to see the following:

• An option for Ubuntu, like Dell and Acer. Also, I need to be able to download Ubuntu or Windows drivers for each laptop, so that I can dual-boot easier. Even though Ubuntu does a good job with universal drivers, I want specific drivers in the respository that are updated every so often.

• The main OS loaded on a SSD, and a 80+ GB hard drive for media, etc.

• LED backlites are a must

• 4 or more USB ports.

• eSATA for high speed external hard drives

• Bluray/HD DVD drives

• 1900x1200 resolution (or more)

• Bluetooth, WiFi, WiMax, and UWB

• Both RAM slots stacked on each other with their own slot to open on the bottom of the case. I hate having to open the keyboard to add RAM

I think that's pretty good for now.