Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pocket PC Thoughts as a Community

The past few weeks have reminded me how much I value the community here at Pocket PC Thoughts (and indeed, all the Thoughts Media sites). Jon Westfall's post, A Loss in the Extended Family, had me thinking how unfortunate it was that ToFClock never reached out to his community at XDA Developers for help - the 100+ responses there show me he would have received a lot of support, if he had only asked for it. That's sort of what this post is about.

I recently finished reading through all of the supportive comments regarding the passing of my grandfather. I was amazed at the number of comments, and the honesty of them touched me. I had posted that on a whim, cloned from my personal blog posting, more out of a desire to inform people why I might not be responding to their email messages than any desire for sympathy. What I got back instead were some very supportive messages, and many stories about losses that my fellow community members had endured - some recently, some long in the past. All of the messages helped me greatly.

In a similar vein, there's a member of the Pocket PC Thoughts community that's in need of our help, today. Rex Winn, better known as code-frog in our forums, has been going through a rough situation with his sick daughter for several years now, but things reached a breaking point for him and his family recently and Rex reached out to me for help. Rex can probably chime in here to explain things better than I can, but in short his daughter has a rare condition that is extremely expensive to treat and despite Rex working 80 hours a week they've reached a financial breaking point where they can't afford to seek out new treatments for their daughter, and the month to month struggles of caring for her are slowly crushing them. There's a great deal of information about Rex, his family, and the struggles they're going through on his site Not Ready To Give Up.

I've known about Rex's struggle for a couple of years now, and I know this is a legitimate problem and not some Internet scam for money that will vanish tomorrow. I've donated some money to Rex and his family, and I'm openly calling on all willing members of Pocket PC Thoughts to do the same. We might not all have equal income levels, but I believe that everyone can help even in some small way. I believe that when a community of people come together with a common purpose, they can accomplish great things. Some of you can afford to donate $500 or more, while some of you can afford to donate $5. The amount doesn't matter - what matters is that a member of this community needs our help, and I believe Pocket PC Thoughts readers will rise to the occasion. Make your donation today and let's help a Pocket PC Thoughts community member that needs us.

UPDATE: I wanted to add that, in addition to monetary support, perhaps there are other, more creative ways this community can help Rex and his daughter Kaie. Maybe someone read this is part of the medical community and can assist? Or a non-profit agency that might have as its mandate helping families in need like this one? Or, if you're the praying type, do that too.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 AM
code-frog
Intellectual

Hi Everyone,

First off let me start by saying thank you to Jason for this announcement. For my family and I it couldn't have come at a more perfect time and that's very hard to explain. Jason has gone way out on a limb to even do this on behalf of Katie and for that I'm extremely thankful. I know that many of you are going to have comments, questions and suggestions regarding this topic. Let me start by encouraging you to ask any questions you have regarding Katie, her current condition, etc...

There's a lot to this particular topic and I'll offer what answers I can. Unfortunately there are many, many questions that don't have answers. I'm going to hold off on posting too much for now. As questions develop I'll try and articulate responses to many questions to try and conserve space. One question that seems to be common among people who become aware of Katie's situation is, "How is she doing now and in the 5 years she's been alive how have things progressed?"

I'll try and answer this question in more detail in just a bit. Strangely a lighting storm of epic proportions is heading our way (storms like this just don't happen in Idaho) and I'm going to shut down until it blows over. I'll be back soon and hopefully I'll have some curiousity and questions to answer when I return.

Again, a huge and heartfelt thanks to Jason for this and I don't think he could possibly imagine how perfect his timing is on this. So in advance a thank you to the Thoughts Community for this and especially to Jason and the Thoughts Staff for being willing to make this announcement.

- Rex

Old 08-20-2007, 01:46 AM
jdhill
Intellectual

A donation is headed your way.

Good luck !!!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:47 AM
maevro
Neophyte

I never post here but I do read this site a lot. I am also on xda and HoFo and
am pretty active, more so on HoFo then anywhere else.

Anyway, there have been some good people who have helped teach me a lot
about PPC's and I am grateful. When someone has a problem I try to reach out as much as I can. I am a substance abuse therapist and deal with almost every issue that one can deal with on a daily basis and look to give back as much as I can.

Even though I am licensed by the State of New York and went to school for this, I still encourage everyone to try to be there for someone since you never know when you will need that arm extended out for you.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 AM
paulsg63
Neophyte

I read the diagnosis and challenges on the website. I have an 8 year old boy and know if something was wrong I would do anything to get him help.

I have sent a donation... Hope and pray it helps some.

Ultimately, I have you on our prayer list at church.... many prayers will be offered up. I know there is power in prayer.

Praise God
God Bless
Paul G
<><

Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 AM
djthomas
Neophyte

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I can't donate much right now but I have sent an email to a few people that might be able to contribute more than I.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:32 AM
martin_ayton
Thinker

Well, I guess it's time for us to put our money where our mouths are: If we believe in community, then let's prove it.

Code_frog / Rex, What can I say? You struggle and you question yourself, and you beat yourself up over the what-ifs, but I stand in admiration of you and your family and what you are doing. It's been five years of hell and you're still standing. Awesome. Keep going, man; this will pass, eventually.

My contribution to getting you to the light at the end of this tunnel is on its way.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM
yildi
Ponderer

Dear Rex,

Seen from France where we benefit from the comfort of a rather efficient social security system, your story is totally hair rising and your struggle is very impressive (sorry for my poor English that does not allow me to better express my feelings on such a delicate subject). Solidarity must effectively play in such a situation. I wish you and Katie a lot of courage (please check your PayPal account).

Best regards.

Murat

Old 08-20-2007, 04:34 PM
code-frog
Intellectual

Of the many things I do for work writing software and network and server support it's the network and server support that makes me dread Mondays. So I'm very busy right now.

I did want to share a short story though for you guys to be proud of. Jason had been out of town when I first approached him on this and while he was gone my courage had really failed me because I had taken a rousing beating on another site. I'd name the site and most of you would groan inwardly knowing that such a thing would surely happen there. So as it were when Jason got back he said he really wanted to announce this at Pocket PC Thoughts and my reply to him was "Let me think about it. It's very hard to let yourself come under that kind of attack and then to ask for another dose of it." (I'm paraphrasing here.) and his reply is what stuck in me like a fork, "I can respect that. But you should know the Thoughts Community is very different and I think you'd find a much different experience there." and ultimately it was that statement that rekindled some hope in me and gave me the courage to tell him to make a run with it.

Now I can honestly say I'm very glad he did. You guys have shown you are "Best of Breed" for online communities and have been very supportive both publicly (here on this thread) and private from email and such. If anyone does wish to email me simply use r#e#x#@#c#o#d#e#-#f#r#o#g#.#c#o#m (remove the #'s of course).

Anyway, again a big thanks to Jason for trusting and knowing his community so well and a big thanks to the community for coming out in your finest to show support. I cannot resist saying that you guys have helped to lift a mountain from the shoulders of my wife and I and you just have to trust that statement because the last 2 days have been very hard.

- Rex

Old 08-20-2007, 04:47 PM
n1ck
Pupil

You have my thoughts and a contribution, my youngest daughter was very ill but at least we did not have your money worries.