Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default TIP: Don't throw away that old iPAQ... it can even save you $400!

TIP: Don't throw away that old iPAQ... it can even save you $400 as a Philips ProntoPro replacement!

I've played a bit with my iPAQ 3660 (to be able to update this article with PPC2k2/iPAQ 36/37xx-related data), comparing its infrared (IR) range to two of my Consumer Infrared (CIR) devices, the Pocket Loox 720 and the iPAQ 2210. I was really happy to see that its range is almost as good as the CIR mode of the two above-mentioned devices and much better than their standard (non-CIR) mode.

So, if you planned to get a (now), price-wise, mid-range ($300-400, as opposed to the top-of-the-line $999 ProntoPro NG TSU7000) Philips ProntoPro (for example, the TSU6000), but you have a not any more used iPAQ 36xx/37xx at home, go no further the old iPAQ can become an excellent and really cheap remote controller, even with (almost) seamless TSU6000 (and below) database (CCF) support. The online CCF database is very-very extensive much more extensive than that of Nevo, the most widely known, Pocket PC-only remote controller software!

Incidentally, I've also updated the NetRemote section in the above-linked article with tons of new information on NetRemote and CCF files in general. As I've pointed out in the updated version of the roundup, NetRemote has excellent CCF support.