Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!


Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...




Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Chris1012
Pupil
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Default pocket pc to pocket pc wifi chat

does anyone know of any software that allows pocket pc's to chat to other pocket pc's using their wifi or bluetooth connection. Obviously it's gonna be short range but I would like to know if there is any software to make this possible.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2005, 01:35 AM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,183

gPhone - it comes as part of the standard installation for Toshiba E830

I'm not certain if a PDA version of their software is freely available... I didn't have any luck when I looked around their site for a minute or two

http://www.gphone.com/
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward999
gPhone - it comes as part of the standard installation for Toshiba E830

I'm not certain if a PDA version of their software is freely available... I didn't have any luck when I looked around their site for a minute or two

http://www.gphone.com/
It's freely available at http://www.vlijapan.com/downloads/bi...5/PKG203JP.exe (CAB form and PC version are also available here: http://www.vlijapan.com/downloads/bin_20030505/ ). The main download screen can be found at http://www.vlijapan.com/downloads/; you don't need to use it (and struggle with Japanese stuff), however, because the files/the directory is freely accessible.

Install it; after running it, just press the second button at the first, Japanese language screen (it has 'IP' on it). The two textfields may be login info for some kind of dir server; they can be left empty.

This app is just GREAT! It works great over Wi-Fi and even Bluetooth, even over ad-hoc (P2P) connections. That is, if you want to chat over BT, just pair two PDA's and use the 'Network Access' profile to start a PAN; it'll also give IP's to all PDA's after a while and gPhone will, then, be able to work.

Fortunately, apart from the first page and the chat 'Send' button, the app is all in English.

Incidentally, I've also tested version 1.60, the last full English version I was able to find in my archives. It doesn't support chat/file transfer.

Also, http://www.gphone.com/, as with https://www.gphoneonline.com/ (see http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS5805810404.html -> http://www.vliusa.com/Service/info.aspx?id=141 ) and the old page, http://www.gtony.com, no longer exist. This is why I needed to Babelfish the Japanese pages I was able to find, play around with the user registration page and the non-translated buttons with the old method of 'trial and error' until I found the above-mentioned URL's.

Feel free to ask further questions - this app is a gem! I love it! At last, a working (unlike, for example, ProximityMail or Bluetooth Chat) BT/Wi-Fi chatter app! (see http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=36203, http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...pic.php?t=4873 and http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=38291 for more info on those apps.)
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Jon Westfall's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,233

Thanks for finding a working solution for this interesting software Menneisyys!
__________________
Dr. Jon Westfall, MCSE, MS-MVP
Executive Editor - Android Thoughts
News Editor - Windows Phone Thoughts

 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,067

I've continued playing with (Pocket) Gphone and found out that the PC version of the app has the login screen (which is exactly the same as with the PPC version) also in English:



I've tested the app with low-bandwidth usage. It's very important for people that have relatively cheap GPRS connection and would want to make long-distancce VoIP calls from their PPC's. Microsoft Portrait as I've described/explained in my article on it, can be used for this even with a Multislot Class 10 GPRS device. Unfortunately, Gphone can't be used over very low-bandwidth connections.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2005, 06:57 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,183

I thought this was great software when I got it with my Toshiba E830. I tried to sign up for a gPhone number on a number of occasions, and mailed them about it --- never receiving a reply.

This thread inspired me to try again. I mailed them asking why I could not get signed up ...

Quote:
Hi

I have tried on a number of occasions to sign up for a gPhone number, but I can never get past the sign-up page. Today I get the following error


Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pfpro_init() in
/var/www/html/GPOL2/payflow.php on line 91"

Reply

Quote:
Dear Steve,

For business reason, we closed our Gphone service and support at the end of last year. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Jon Yao

I asked if they had given any time to considering making this information available on their web site .... I'm looking forward to the response :-)
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward999
I thought this was great software when I got it with my Toshiba E830. I tried to sign up for a gPhone number on a number of occasions, and mailed them about it --- never receiving a reply.

This thread inspired me to try again. I mailed them asking why I could not get signed up ...

Quote:
Hi

I have tried on a number of occasions to sign up for a gPhone number, but I can never get past the sign-up page. Today I get the following error


Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pfpro_init() in
/var/www/html/GPOL2/payflow.php on line 91"

Reply

Quote:
Dear Steve,

For business reason, we closed our Gphone service and support at the end of last year. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Jon Yao

I asked if they had given any time to considering making this information available on their web site .... I'm looking forward to the response :-)
Thanks for the follow-up; hope they will not remove their program from the Net - it really rocks. Now that it's 'dead', however, I won't recommend it for nomination for the PPCMag Best PPCMag software of 2005, though (I've just spent some minutes filling in the nomination form...). I really regret this because it's the only working BT/PAN and Wi-Fi/ad-hoc chatter I could find...
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2005, 09:48 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,183

Quote:
I asked if they had given any time to considering making this information available on their web site .... I'm looking forward to the response :-)

The response?

Quote:
Yes, we have already set a pop-up window to give an announcement on our Gphoneonline.com web-site at the end of year.

Thanks for your suggestion. We will also set such announcement on our vliusa.com web-site. Sorry for the inconvenience.
To which I replied:-

Quote:
Since I and millions of others run pop-up blockers this is never seen. You should remove the sign-up form too! If you had removed it already I would not have wasted my time over the last few months repeatedly atempting to sign up!

It makes much more sense to simply take down anything that makes it look like it is possible to sign up, and anything that makes it look like there is something to sign up for. From what you say, your entire web presence on these sites is a complete waste of time and space for anyone who discovers them.

Their response? Silence.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2005, 09:50 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys

Thanks for the follow-up; hope they will not remove their program from the Net - it really rocks. Now that it's 'dead', however, I won't recommend it for nomination for the PPCMag Best PPCMag software of 2005, though (I've just spent some minutes filling in the nomination form...). I really regret this because it's the only working BT/PAN and Wi-Fi/ad-hoc chatter I could find...
It is a great peice of software. Hopefully something better will come along soon. Maybe bluetooth and Skype could offer a future solution ...
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
mrbascombe
Neophyte
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8

Can I use this app to talk with a pc with bluetooth fitted?
I have paired them and activesysnc works.

Do I need a login name and password?
What format do you put the IP address in as?


Also
I intend to test this out with a friends phone to phone.
Do I have to setup a network first?

I am on an imate jam - so is he.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48 AM.